Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Keeping Transactions Separate

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 8 years ago by MysteryMan424.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: June 11, 2008, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

When I occasionally have a winner, I like to collect my money and then buy my tickets.  A couple of weeks ago when I won $106, the clerk counted out the money first.  I prefer that way of doing business.   Here's why.

I went to Publix the other night to play my daily Fantasy-5 numbers.  I also had a MegaMoney ticket from an earlier drawing worth $2.50.  I knew I won $2.50 because I check my tickets every night. 

He ran the MM ticket and then the card for Fantasy-5.  The terminal showed $1.50 due of course.   He told me to keep my dollar and took 50 cents out of the register. I very calmly reviewed what just took place. "Okay, I won $2.50 and I spent $1.00.  What do you owe me?"  He said "But you didn't spend the dollar.  I told you to keep it."  I said "Sure, but you still owe me another dollar. Let's say I took $2.50 and came back in a few hours to buy a ticket for a dollar. I'd be ahead by $1.50, not 50 cents."  He only knew what he saw on the screen which was $1.50, not thinking that I won $2.50 in the first place, so he had a "don't confuse me with the facts" type of attitude.  In his mind, I won $1.50, purchased a ticket, so he owed me 50 cents.   (hope this is making sense, but maybe you had to be there) 

I've worked in many retail stores and was often so busy that I got distracted, which is why I always used a calculator, even if it meant getting those "she's a dumb blonde" stares from clients.  So I have compassion for people who multi-task.  But honestly folks, people don't belong behind a counter (selling lottery tickets, stamps or whatever) until they know basic math without needing a cash register figure it out for them.  He said emphatically "If you keep your dollar, we're even."  Sorry, but I don't need a calculator to know that's wrong, but he was called away to bag some groceries (Publix is apparently cutting back on help) 

Anyway, the clerk from the other end of the counter walked into the middle of all of this and it turns out she was helping someone else with lottery tickets, so I patiently waited and she finally just handed me a dollar, although she wasn't smiling. 

As petty as this sounds, if you were charged $3.99 for a box of cereal that cost $2.99 you would want the price adjusted. In fact, if something scans incorrectly, Publix policy states that the customer gets the item for free.  (This obviously doesn't apply to Lotto!  LOL)  It wasn't the dollar that I was annoyed about as much as being a victim of someone else's confusion.

Please share your comments & similar experiences!

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5615 Posts
    Posted: June 11, 2008, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

I always buy my tics at the same convenience store. Generally when I have a winner, (loooooooong time ago) I will have her validate the winner first, then run my playslips. This way the winning ticket is "money". Never had a problem. I rarely buy my tics at grocery stores. They usually don't have someone behind the service counter and I end up waiting for help. Sometimes I do cash bigger winners ($100 or more) at grocery stores because the convenience store doesn't have that much cash on hand.

Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: June 11, 2008, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for responding!   I think it's always best to claim/buy tickets when it's slow if possible.  It's off-season here, so I figured it wouldn't be busy.  I've had to wait a long time for service there, but I'm usually patient. I've heard that the stores are laying off employees because of inflation and energy costs. I just read that FPL (Florida Power & Light) requested a rate hike and that our electric bills should go up by the end of the year.

I've had trouble at 7-Eleven too when it's busy.  Tourists are always running in for beer and cigarettes or a snack and it's the first gas station from the beach. Although I'm not a big KMart shopper, the store in the same shopping center as Publix just began selling tickets this week and it's right at the cash register, not customer service.  I wonder how that will work out. 

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6537 Posts
        Posted: June 11, 2008, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

I had trouble once, but it was more my fault for not actually checking. I took in a bunch of tickets that I had been collecting (small prizes ranging for $2.00 to $8.00, but the total was $27.00) and decided I would turn them in all at once to make things easier...or so I thought and was shorted $2.00. It's not a big deal, but I still should have took the time to check to see if I had the correct amount given to me. Plus, I won't do something like that again when it is Friday (payday) and the store is busy. I think she was in a rush and didn't do things right, but I admit it was my fault for not checking either.

And I don't think you should feel bad for actually wanting all your money. Even if it is a dollar. You won it and should get all of it and if they make a mistake they should fix it without getting upset about it.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7322 Posts
          Posted: June 11, 2008, 4:46 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for responding!   I think it's always best to claim/buy tickets when it's slow if possible.  It's off-season here, so I figured it wouldn't be busy.  I've had to wait a long time for service there, but I'm usually patient. I've heard that the stores are laying off employees because of inflation and energy costs. I just read that FPL (Florida Power & Light) requested a rate hike and that our electric bills should go up by the end of the year.

I've had trouble at 7-Eleven too when it's busy.  Tourists are always running in for beer and cigarettes or a snack and it's the first gas station from the beach. Although I'm not a big KMart shopper, the store in the same shopping center as Publix just began selling tickets this week and it's right at the cash register, not customer service.  I wonder how that will work out. 

After the clerk validated the winning ticket, the screen should have said "pay $2.50" and when you handed him the $1 play slip and printed the ticket, he would see "pay $1.50". Had the play slip been a $3 play he would see "collect $.50". I've seen clerks not knowing that I'll be playing off the winnings, clear the screen, run the play slips, and the screen would say collect the price of the play slips. They have to either subtract the bet from the winnings or winnings from bet and that's where it starts getting confusing.

Some clerks will validate the ticket and pay before making another transaction. Some let the terminal to the math, others use the cash register, and some will take off their shoes and use their fingers and toes.

Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: June 11, 2008, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

Stack, what might have happened is that he first ran the $1.00 play slip and then ran the $2.50 winner.  So maybe that's why it only showed $1.50 (I think)   Maybe he didn't see the "pay $2.50" since he was working so quickly.  He ran them through and then gave me 50 cents.  So, what I'm guessing is that he saw $1.50 and thought I won $1.50, told me to keep my dollar and gave me the $0.50 which would make perfect sense, that is, if I hadn't won $2.50!  LOL  Actually, had I not known that I got 1 number and the MB I would have assumed I won $1.50 and walked away a happy camper.  It was only a dollar and I've blown a lot more than that, but I'm stubborn, sometimes too stubborn because of that "dumb blonde" thing I've mentioned before.  I'm not kidding.  I've known people who have double digit IQs & think I'm dumb and go into shock when I know a multisyllabic word or the capital of a country.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10354 Posts
              Posted: June 11, 2008, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

One time I played four 50 cent pick 3's- well at this one place the clerk just counted the tickets, didn't look at them- and said "$4.00"

I said, "No, those were all 50 cent tickets, three box and one straight."

She said, "Sir, there's no such thing as a 50 cent ticket."

I showed them to her and said, "Then that's awful strange because it says Illinois Lottery Pick 3, Box, EVE, $.50".

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                Member #47420
                November 4, 2006
                3930 Posts
                Posted: June 11, 2008, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

Cash your ticket and get the money then go over and make out your slip and come back and play your slip..That way there is not a "slip up".No pun intended......

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7322 Posts
                  Posted: June 11, 2008, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

Stack, what might have happened is that he first ran the $1.00 play slip and then ran the $2.50 winner.  So maybe that's why it only showed $1.50 (I think)   Maybe he didn't see the "pay $2.50" since he was working so quickly.  He ran them through and then gave me 50 cents.  So, what I'm guessing is that he saw $1.50 and thought I won $1.50, told me to keep my dollar and gave me the $0.50 which would make perfect sense, that is, if I hadn't won $2.50!  LOL  Actually, had I not known that I got 1 number and the MB I would have assumed I won $1.50 and walked away a happy camper.  It was only a dollar and I've blown a lot more than that, but I'm stubborn, sometimes too stubborn because of that "dumb blonde" thing I've mentioned before.  I'm not kidding.  I've known people who have double digit IQs & think I'm dumb and go into shock when I know a multisyllabic word or the capital of a country.

I played the Grouper so wasn't necessary to fill out a play slip but is it a lottery rule in Florida that players must fill out a play slip when they are choosing their own numbers?

Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: June 11, 2008, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

Cash your ticket and get the money then go over and make out your slip and come back and play your slip..That way there is not a "slip up".No pun intended......

Good idea, but tonight I got payback.   I walked in and got the same clerk and thought "Maybe I should wait" but I handed him a winning ticket and the terminal showed I won $2.00 last night. I handed him my cards from the plastic sleeve.  I saw I owed $4 on the terminal and was puzzled.  I figured he ran a slip twice. He gave me $1 back from a 5, so I counted the play slips and there were 6!  I guess last Saturday I played a last minute "pick 6 numbers out of the air" and forgot to throw away the bet slip.  (That's actually how I've been hitting all these small wins.)  Hey, maybe this will be the $36M winner!   Anyway, this time I goofed.

Stack, I think it's up to the retailer, but I know you don't have to fill out a slip, since I hear people give the clerks numbers all the time, even for Lotto.  However, I even use a slip when I buy QPs or partial QPs.

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3475 Posts
                      Posted: June 12, 2008, 12:55 am - IP Logged

This wasn't a problem with the math. If the terminal said $1.50 due after he validated a winning ticket and sold you another ticket it seems pretty clear that he simply doesn't know what the  terminal was telling him. That's either a training or intelligence problem (not to say that an intelligence problem wouldn't affect his math skills, of course). You're lucky he didn't think it meant that you owed him $1.50. The only time I've ever had a problem of that sort was when the clerk apparently didn't clear the terminal before running my slip(s) and asked for a buck or two more than I owed.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                        Member #24380
                        October 21, 2005
                        623 Posts
                        Posted: June 15, 2008, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

When I occasionally have a winner, I like to collect my money and then buy my tickets.  A couple of weeks ago when I won $106, the clerk counted out the money first.  I prefer that way of doing business.   Here's why.

I went to Publix the other night to play my daily Fantasy-5 numbers.  I also had a MegaMoney ticket from an earlier drawing worth $2.50.  I knew I won $2.50 because I check my tickets every night. 

He ran the MM ticket and then the card for Fantasy-5.  The terminal showed $1.50 due of course.   He told me to keep my dollar and took 50 cents out of the register. I very calmly reviewed what just took place. "Okay, I won $2.50 and I spent $1.00.  What do you owe me?"  He said "But you didn't spend the dollar.  I told you to keep it."  I said "Sure, but you still owe me another dollar. Let's say I took $2.50 and came back in a few hours to buy a ticket for a dollar. I'd be ahead by $1.50, not 50 cents."  He only knew what he saw on the screen which was $1.50, not thinking that I won $2.50 in the first place, so he had a "don't confuse me with the facts" type of attitude.  In his mind, I won $1.50, purchased a ticket, so he owed me 50 cents.   (hope this is making sense, but maybe you had to be there) 

I've worked in many retail stores and was often so busy that I got distracted, which is why I always used a calculator, even if it meant getting those "she's a dumb blonde" stares from clients.  So I have compassion for people who multi-task.  But honestly folks, people don't belong behind a counter (selling lottery tickets, stamps or whatever) until they know basic math without needing a cash register figure it out for them.  He said emphatically "If you keep your dollar, we're even."  Sorry, but I don't need a calculator to know that's wrong, but he was called away to bag some groceries (Publix is apparently cutting back on help) 

Anyway, the clerk from the other end of the counter walked into the middle of all of this and it turns out she was helping someone else with lottery tickets, so I patiently waited and she finally just handed me a dollar, although she wasn't smiling. 

As petty as this sounds, if you were charged $3.99 for a box of cereal that cost $2.99 you would want the price adjusted. In fact, if something scans incorrectly, Publix policy states that the customer gets the item for free.  (This obviously doesn't apply to Lotto!  LOL)  It wasn't the dollar that I was annoyed about as much as being a victim of someone else's confusion.

Please share your comments & similar experiences!

When I occasionally have a winner, I like to collect my money and then buy my tickets.  A couple of weeks ago when I won $106, the clerk counted out the money first.  I prefer that way of doing business.   

Definitely collect, then buy.  I have had clerks assume I want to play back my winnings.  If I do, I will, maybe not at their store even, just depends on how I am feeling, but definitely pay me, then I decide how I want to spend my money if I choose to spend it back on tickets or scratch offs.

Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: June 15, 2008, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

When I occasionally have a winner, I like to collect my money and then buy my tickets.  A couple of weeks ago when I won $106, the clerk counted out the money first.  I prefer that way of doing business.   

Definitely collect, then buy.  I have had clerks assume I want to play back my winnings.  If I do, I will, maybe not at their store even, just depends on how I am feeling, but definitely pay me, then I decide how I want to spend my money if I choose to spend it back on tickets or scratch offs.

Lollipop, that's a good point.  In some stores I've felt a little intimidated when my ticket is scanned and it reads $11 as if I am obligated to spend it.  So I know how you feel.  I once wrote on LP that at 7-Eleven I won a little money and the clerk expected me to buy more tickets.  He even said "most people don't ask for the money."  I suppose it's like slot machines.  People keep playing until they are out of quarters.  So if they get a lot of scratchers there, then I bet that happens a lot.  Still, there is no reason to assume a winner won't just take the money, even if it's just $5, and walk away.

MysteryMan424's avatar - batman22
                            Pelham NY
                            United States
                            Member #60411
                            April 16, 2008
                            169 Posts
                            Posted: June 15, 2008, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

Same thing happens in NY justxploring, when people turn in thier scratch offs for cash, the cash is not forthcoming. Because the clerks are conditioned to pay with new scratchoffs, since the majority of players never seem to be satisfied with the meager winnings. Whatever you do in NY it's wise to become savvy when you bet, State your intentions clearly- know the value of your tickets- and always cash first then play.