Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 7:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Sunday draw...Day of rest...What you think...

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: June 15, 2008, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

Don't you think that Sunday draw should stop, as you may or may not know Sunday is consider the Day of rest....

I mean Georgia does it, and i think some state do it to but they don't sell liquor on Sundays...They should do the same thing with gambling...

Don't you think..Please let me know your opinions...

I think Sunday is the day to take the kids out and have dinner and enjoy it...Sunday should be considered the Day of the Family and of Rest...

The stuff the lottery does it shouldn't be doing and what it should do it doesn't do it...

If you notice the Stock Market which draws more revenue than the lottery and is better than the lottery doesn't open on Sunday....

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: June 15, 2008, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

Pumpi, in many religions Sunday is not the Sabbath.  This includes the 7th Day Adventists and the Jewish religions.  (Actually, I think in Israel the stock market is closed on Fri & Sat and open on Sun.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)  There are also many people who don't practice religion or who are atheists. 

The lottery is not church Bingo and, therefore, has no connection with a religious order.  In the United States, we have something called the Constitution.  The First Amendment to the Constitution provides for the Separation of Church & State.  Some states still have Blue Laws (I think) and when grew up in MA you weren't able to buy liquor on Sunday and most retail stores were shut.  That changed for economical reasons.  Many people would drive across the border to NH to shop on Sunday. 

Since the Lottery is voluntary, if it offends your personal beliefs to purchase tickets on Sunday, then you don't have to play ...  or you can buy an advanced play during the week.

"I think Sunday is the day to take the kids out and have dinner and enjoy it...Sunday should be considered the Day of the Family and of Rest..."

Well, why don't you just write to every Walgreen's, WalMart, and the thousands of retailers who stay open on Sunday? 

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: June 15, 2008, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

Pumpi, in many religions Sunday is not the Sabbath.  This includes the 7th Day Adventists and the Jewish religions.  (Actually, I think in Israel the stock market is closed on Fri & Sat and open on Sun.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)  There are also many people who don't practice religion or who are atheists. 

The lottery is not church Bingo and, therefore, has no connection with a religious order.  In the United States, we have something called the Constitution.  The First Amendment to the Constitution provides for the Separation of Church & State.  Some states still have Blue Laws (I think) and when grew up in MA you weren't able to buy liquor on Sunday and most retail stores were shut.  That changed for economical reasons.  Many people would drive across the border to NH to shop on Sunday. 

Since the Lottery is voluntary, if it offends your personal beliefs to purchase tickets on Sunday, then you don't have to play ...  or you can buy an advanced play during the week.

"I think Sunday is the day to take the kids out and have dinner and enjoy it...Sunday should be considered the Day of the Family and of Rest..."

Well, why don't you just write to every Walgreen's, WalMart, and the thousands of retailers who stay open on Sunday? 

All I'm going to say is....I Agree!

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19895 Posts
        Posted: June 15, 2008, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

Thursdays and Sundays are both my days of rest from the lottery.  I like to play PowerBall, MegaMillions and Ohio Classic Lotto and they don't have drawings on those days.   The number games, which I never cared for, are played every day but then what's that old saying "no rest for the wicked".

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

MysteryMan424's avatar - batman22
          Pelham NY
          United States
          Member #60411
          April 16, 2008
          169 Posts
          Posted: June 15, 2008, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

I believe in the seperation of lottery and state.

Sandra Dee's avatar - dandy
            Bayonne
            United States
            Member #61147
            May 13, 2008
            129 Posts
            Posted: June 16, 2008, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

Don't you think that Sunday draw should stop, as you may or may not know Sunday is consider the Day of rest....

I mean Georgia does it, and i think some state do it to but they don't sell liquor on Sundays...They should do the same thing with gambling...

Don't you think..Please let me know your opinions...

I think Sunday is the day to take the kids out and have dinner and enjoy it...Sunday should be considered the Day of the Family and of Rest...

The stuff the lottery does it shouldn't be doing and what it should do it doesn't do it...

If you notice the Stock Market which draws more revenue than the lottery and is better than the lottery doesn't open on Sunday....

i can appreciate your opinion - although many states have favored and enforce the sunday blue laws, many haven't and many more individuals aren't buying that brand of crack thinking - while i applaud you in believing sunday as a day of rest and should be somewhat set aside or sacred, almost, but as it has already been stated above, be reminded that many would disagree and actually recognize saturday [original sabbath] as the day of rest - as stated in the bible .. and this idea would be certainly challenged by the millions of sabbath keepers, muslims, athiests out there - MY OWN opinion is that yeah, my local grocers are hindu and would beg to differ on your idea of closing shop to observe ... observe ?? the idea is cutting into their belief or non-belief and messing up their revenue for a day can get you hiring private protection - as far as the stock marketing being "better than the lottery" WHAT'CHA TALKING 'BOUT WILLIS?

Boxing

Honduras
              Member #20982
              August 29, 2005
              4715 Posts
              Posted: June 16, 2008, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

i can appreciate your opinion - although many states have favored and enforce the sunday blue laws, many haven't and many more individuals aren't buying that brand of crack thinking - while i applaud you in believing sunday as a day of rest and should be somewhat set aside or sacred, almost, but as it has already been stated above, be reminded that many would disagree and actually recognize saturday [original sabbath] as the day of rest - as stated in the bible .. and this idea would be certainly challenged by the millions of sabbath keepers, muslims, athiests out there - MY OWN opinion is that yeah, my local grocers are hindu and would beg to differ on your idea of closing shop to observe ... observe ?? the idea is cutting into their belief or non-belief and messing up their revenue for a day can get you hiring private protection - as far as the stock marketing being "better than the lottery" WHAT'CHA TALKING 'BOUT WILLIS?

Boxing

i was talking about stop selling lottery tickets on sunday, not shutting down the store...About the lottery, i think the players collectively as a group, lose more money to the lottery on a sunday, than there is liquor sales in any state...I don't think there is comparison between liquor sales and loss of money by the players collectively as a group...

So give people a break, and is not like the lottery was easy, none of the games are easy to win, they are not even medium hard, to win....They are hard to the 12th power....

ConstantlyB's avatar - chi
                Wilson
                United States
                Member #54516
                August 21, 2007
                2802 Posts
                Posted: June 16, 2008, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

Just don't play on Sunday. I'm glad I live in America.Patriot

"MAKE THAT MONEY YA'LL"

wisdom from Tyler Perry's Madea:"It doesn't matter what people call you....it's what you answer to."

Honduras
                  Member #20982
                  August 29, 2005
                  4715 Posts
                  Posted: June 16, 2008, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

Just don't play on Sunday. I'm glad I live in America.Patriot

This is about telling the rest of the world that money doesn't rule us, that greed doesn't rule us....

That despite how we are, that we are willing to set aside one special day of the week for the family...I don't think no nation in the world dedicates a day of the week to the family, yet family is the basic, most important institution in the world...and i remember that from my days in school...

It gives a better image of America to the world...A family day, is more important than the women's day, than the president's day, than the flag day, than martin luther kind day, than a lot of days....

They will not do this, yet they rule about guantanamo detainees to have the same rights as an american...Again what they should do they don't do, and what they shouldn't do they do...

I hear retarded comments like christmast should be called "happy holydays" that's the most retarded stuff i ever heard, yet this day of the family or day of rest doesnt' exist...

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10390 Posts
                    Posted: June 16, 2008, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

Pumpi

We can't demand or even expect every one else to live our lives (life life according to how we do it).

As far as Sundays generating the most lottery money, that just isn't true. Some states that have two pick 3 and 4 drawings only have the evening drawing on Sunday. The state lotteries Pick 6 games are usually twice or three times a week, all days different than Sunday.

MM and PB are not on Sunday.

You've often mentioned billions and even a trillion in your threads.

Here's an idea of how much a billion really is:

The next time you hear a politician use the
                    word 'billion' in a casual manner, think about

whether you want the 'politicians' spending

YOUR tax money.

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend,
                    but one advertising agency did a good job of

putting that figure into some perspective in

one of it's releases.

A.

A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

B.

A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

C.

A billion hours ago our ancestors were
                    living in the Stone Age.

D.

A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.

E..

A billion dollars ago was only

8 hours and20 minutes,

at the rate our government

is spending it.

While this thought is still fresh in our brain...

let's take a look at New Orleans ...

It's amazing what you can learn with some simple division.

Louisiana Senator,

Mary Landrieu (D)

is presently askingCongressfor

250  BILLION DOLLARS

to rebuild New Orleans ..  Interesting number...

what does it mean?

A.

Well... if you are one of the 484,674 residents of  New Orleans

(every man, woman, and child)

youeach get $516,528.

B.

Or... if you have one of the 188,251 homes in
                    New Orleans , your home gets
                      $1,329,787.

C.

Or... if you are a family of four...

your familygets  $2,066,012.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.