Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 3:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Tipping The Clerk

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 9 years ago by rcbbuckeye.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: June 16, 2008, 12:30 am - IP Logged

I've never posted a dream if I recall correctly, but I had the strangest dream on Sunday morning.  It might only mean I've spent too much time on this board lately, but here it is.

I finally hit the Florida Lotto and paid $2 for the ticket, so I got the $10M bonus, winning $16M.  The details have faded, but this is what I remember.  I noticed when I purchased my ticket that the clerk was tired, so I decided to really surprise her by giving her a $10,000 tip.  I wrote a check (can't carry that kind of cash around in my wallet) and told her I had a gift.  I asked her to please, please stay calm and protect my privacy.  "I'm asking you not to tell anyone, okay?"  When she realized I was the Lotto winner and opened up the envelope and saw the amount, she went berserk and started jumping up & down yelling "This lady gave me $10,000.  OMG!  She won the Lotto and she gave me $10,000." 

The media gets the story.  (Keep in mind that my name was on my check.) "Single mom at convenience store gets $10,000 tip from Lotto winner."  My sister calls and asks how much I plan to give her and her children.  "So a clerk who means nothing to you, who just ran a lousy, f***ing card through a machine gets $10,000 and you give the same amount to your own flesh & blood?"  My neighbors begin to knock on my door.  One person asks me to pay her rent since she's going through some hard times.  Another tells me she desperately needs a new car.  I took off frantically and began driving toward the interstate.  I hear a siren and see a police car in my rearview mirror, so I pull over.  A cop tells me I was speeding and goes back to his vehicle.  Then he comes back and says "Maybe we can work out a deal." I said I'd rather just pay the moving violation, although I wasn't speeding, but he says "I'm talking about the charge for illegal drugs."  I said "I don't have any drugs! What are you talking about?"   Another cop shows up in a few minutes and suddenly a bag of coke magically appears in my car. "How do you think a million a piece sounds for a free pass?"  It's all sort of fuzzy, but I woke up. 

Maybe when I win I shouldn't go back to tip the clerk.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10392 Posts
    Posted: June 16, 2008, 1:41 am - IP Logged

I was waiting for something like:

...So after the cops said this, Al Pacino showed up and said, "Say hello to my little friend...."

If that dream is prophetic, watch out!!!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: June 16, 2008, 2:16 am - IP Logged

No, Coin Toss.  I live on the West Coast of Florida.  Scarface was about Miami. 

All jokes aside, people on LP are always talking about tipping a clerk, but I really had a strange dream about my anonymity being destroyed by trying to give someone $10,000 after winning the lottery.  Maybe this is a warning sort of like the saying "No good deed goes unpunished." 

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #22395
        September 24, 2005
        1583 Posts
        Posted: June 16, 2008, 10:51 am - IP Logged

Or maybe just tip the clerk $100....in cash.  Big Smile

lilthing's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
          Nassau
          Bahamas
          Member #49383
          January 29, 2007
          7309 Posts
          Posted: June 16, 2008, 10:54 am - IP Logged

Bag 032 330 6638

Money 045

Police 054

Figures 690 973 637

100 000 020 061

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

For every action, there's a reaction :-Cheers 

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
            Texas
            United States
            Member #55889
            October 23, 2007
            5766 Posts
            Posted: June 16, 2008, 11:11 am - IP Logged

I won $400 a while back, and I cashed the ticket at the local Tom Thumb grocery store. The girl that cashed the tic blurted out "This is worth $400!!!!!!!" Needless to say I was pretty annoyed. Everybody in earshot heard her, and I'm thinking it's only $400, keep your mouth shut.

So, if I had a big winner, since I have to collect at a lottery claim center, or in Austin anyway, that's where I would go to validate the ticket also. No tip, no clerks freaking out.