Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery ticket location

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 8 years ago by DC81.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Lotto*Love's avatar - lips
Washington *state*
United States
Member #62009
June 14, 2008
192 Posts
Posted: June 18, 2008, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

I know, I know.........anyone can win anywhere............I'm just wondering if anyone here chooses to stay away from the big chains when purchasing their tickets PB, MM, Lotto etc... I hear some who buy from "Mom and Pop" type stores and not the big chains.  Do you think theres just something about the little guys?  When I read up on winners, they seem to buy from little corner stores, or gas up and go stores.....Correct me if I'm wrong, because I really want to know.  Do the big chains sell just as many JP's as the little guys? My little farming town has one grocery store........not a big chain.......2 small gas and snack/basic grocery stores....and 1 large truck stop gas/food etc.  I've never bought from the two larger chains here. 1 about 15 minutes away, the other about 45 minutes away......but have read my states lottery website on prizes ranging from 1,000 to 250,000 (second tier).  One of those chains seems to be kinda lucky in their locations. Anyway, why do some choose to buy from "mom and pop" storesSmile

Surrender You can run, but you can't hide mighty Jackpot...surrender to me at once!

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5615 Posts
    Posted: June 18, 2008, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

I buy my tics at a convenience store a couple miles from home, even though there is a major grocery store in the neighborhood. I like the conv store because the people that own the place know me, and they know how I play. I don't worry about where the winners come from, I don't think it reaally matters.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: June 18, 2008, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

I've thought about this too, and believe you simply have to be at the right place at the right time.  Then on the night of the drawing, at that very second, the great power of the universe (or as Coin Toss calls it, the Lottery Fairy) makes it happen and "Poof."

I read the press releases for the FL Lottery all the time and it seems as if the majority of winners buy their tickets at supermarkets.  Publix seems to be a very popular spot, but it's a huge chain in the Southeast, so it only makes sense that people buy their tickets at the same time they shop for food.  Every region is probably different. 

On the other hand, many people want to buy from a smaller stores so the owners get the money if they win.  Also, in smaller stores people know you by name.  It doesn't matter to me.  I just buy tickets where it's most convenient, although I often change locations for variety.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6537 Posts
        Posted: June 18, 2008, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

I buy my tickets from a big chain store, a mom and pop store and a couple of gas stations. I don't have a preference really. When I do decide to buy my tickets for the day, it just depends where I'm at and what I'm doing at the time.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10354 Posts
          Posted: June 19, 2008, 12:16 am - IP Logged

The Illinois lottery posts the location of jackpot winning tickets on their website, where they were purchased.

It seems that the most common are convenience stores and tobacco and liquor marts.

Rarely are they from grocery chains. The two big ones downstate are Kroger and Schnucks and whole they probably sell a lot of tickets, it's rare that a jackpot winner is ever bought there.

Going by this thread when it comes to jackpots maybe there are "grocery chain" states and "convenience store" states!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: June 19, 2008, 12:24 am - IP Logged

I don't think I'd feel too lucky buying a lottery ticket from a store called Schnooks.  LOL

Washington *state*
              United States
              Member #62009
              June 14, 2008
              192 Posts
              Posted: June 19, 2008, 3:31 am - IP Logged

I was buying some of my tickets from one of the smaller gas stations called of all things...JACKPOT. But never any luck.  Though I totally know that the numbers can drop anywhere, I was just curious because I LOVE those lottery shows on tv..I think I have them all recorded on DVR and watch em when ever I feel  the need.  They just always showed them walking up to some cute little gas station/convience store saying "and heres where we bought our lucky ticket!"  Never seen any walking through some crowded Safeway parking lot saying "here it is".  All I can do is buy when ever I can and where ever........and hope for the best! Like I always said, if its in your cards, you'll win no matter where you play and how much you bet.  PLAY ON!!!!!!!!!Guitar

Surrender You can run, but you can't hide mighty Jackpot...surrender to me at once!

DC81's avatar - batman39
                MI
                United States
                Member #54830
                August 31, 2007
                985 Posts
                Posted: June 19, 2008, 4:40 am - IP Logged

When Ohio had their three MM jackpots in a row one was bought at a Kroger, can't remember if it was the 267/270 million dollar one or the 265 at the moment. Of course there's more winners at these little party stores because I'm willing to bet they sell a lot more tickets than larger stores where people are typically there to do their grocery shopping, unless it's right up front at the service counter or where a lot of people will see it they probably won't do much business and leave where as people go to party stores or gas stations for a singular purpose and have the lottery machine almost in their face. Plus it's usually easier and closer to just go to a gas station or party store.

I usually go to the local grocery store since if I were to win I'd prefer they get the publicity and bonus for selling it. Lately I've been experimenting with buying a single ticket at each store that sells them, especially if the numbers I already have look bad like they did last week that's six different locations, one store, four gas stations/party stores and one party store without the gas all in a rather small area on the same road.

You can't predict random.

Washington *state*
                  United States
                  Member #62009
                  June 14, 2008
                  192 Posts
                  Posted: June 19, 2008, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

I recently started to buy singles...at different locations.  I'm not having too much luck with the numbers though and its annoying! Like, when I used to buy say 1-$5.00 MM ticket...I'd get repeats with the numbers and say "DOH!!! I can't win with these!" haha   Well ya I can, but I just didn't like the repeat numbers on all 5 lines.  Anyway, switched to singles and now I have a new problem....numbers right after another!

Like this: 8,11,22,23,24

Then I look at these and again, "DOH! I can't win with these!"  But you just never know I guess

United States
                    Member #58528
                    February 18, 2008
                    710 Posts
                    Posted: June 19, 2008, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

My wife buys our PB tickets at Hy-Vee,a supermarket chain in the midwest.Sometimes I'll buy PB tickets at a nearby convenience store.We drive to illinois to buy our MM tickets at a convenience store.I've won lower tier prizes at all of them...I've also lost at all of them.I don't think it makes a difference where you buy the tickets.When its your turn to win,you'll win no matter where you bought the tickets.

DC81's avatar - batman39
                      MI
                      United States
                      Member #54830
                      August 31, 2007
                      985 Posts
                      Posted: June 19, 2008, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

I recently started to buy singles...at different locations.  I'm not having too much luck with the numbers though and its annoying! Like, when I used to buy say 1-$5.00 MM ticket...I'd get repeats with the numbers and say "DOH!!! I can't win with these!" haha   Well ya I can, but I just didn't like the repeat numbers on all 5 lines.  Anyway, switched to singles and now I have a new problem....numbers right after another!

Like this: 8,11,22,23,24

Then I look at these and again, "DOH! I can't win with these!"  But you just never know I guess

Haha, ditto for me! Especially last week as I mentioned. Check the topic at the link below for my last post and the "fun" I had. Bang Head

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/174906

You can't predict random.