Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:22 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

can it make a difference when, where you buy a qp

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 8 years ago by DC81.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
joplin
United States
Member #45299
August 17, 2006
151 Posts
Posted: June 20, 2008, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

I've often wondered if, it would make a difference when you buy quick picks.  Say your buying 20, you buy them all at one place at one time, but what if you decided to buy them at 4 different locations at different hours of the day, or something like that.  Have any of you tried anything like that, with any success?

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
    Member #4877
    May 30, 2004
    5120 Posts
    Posted: June 20, 2008, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

I've often wondered if, it would make a difference when you buy quick picks.  Say your buying 20, you buy them all at one place at one time, but what if you decided to buy them at 4 different locations at different hours of the day, or something like that.  Have any of you tried anything like that, with any success?

thank YOU:

TELL us more abot UR^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^DRILLIN'g "D" LOTTERY!!!

PSYKOMO

DC81's avatar - batman39
      MI
      United States
      Member #54830
      August 31, 2007
      985 Posts
      Posted: June 20, 2008, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/174206/1

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/174906/1

Refer to my post in these topics. At the one store I go to I seem to get a lot of sequential numbers and duplicates if I pick some of my own.

You can't predict random.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
        Member #4877
        May 30, 2004
        5120 Posts
        Posted: June 20, 2008, 10:36 pm - IP Logged

DC:

Tell us WHATHA U TONKIN'g BOUT ??????????????????????????????????

CAN U please ?????????????????   EXPLAIN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!

LOL

PSYKOMO

joplin
          United States
          Member #45299
          August 17, 2006
          151 Posts
          Posted: June 21, 2008, 12:25 am - IP Logged

DC:

LOL

PSYKOMO

I just wondered if you were to go to several different stores at different times in the day, if it would be some sort of advanage.  Has anyone really ever tried something like that, does it make any sense at all. 

We have a man that comes in our store every day.  He's won the power ball several years ago, and if thats not enough, he won $100,000, 3 times in one year.  He plays only quick picks each day.  He plays p/3 and p/4 every day and spends $40.00 to a $100.00, and much more when he plays power ball.  I don't know if he buys tickets any where else, but I expect he does.  He won't tell you anything, except he only plays q/p's.  He not what you call socialable.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            6537 Posts
            Posted: June 21, 2008, 12:45 am - IP Logged

I usually buy my Powerball tickets all at once at one store. However, I like to split the lines on my Wild Card 2 tickets and buy them at different stores. I will split the tickets up and buy some at one store and the rest at another. I guess I have this thought that it might help me win if I get tickets at different stores...so far though, I haven't won anything big doing that. I guess it's not really working. LOL

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
              Member #13130
              March 30, 2005
              2171 Posts
              Posted: June 21, 2008, 2:57 am - IP Logged

The difference is, with buying at multiple locations, you waste money on tickets and gas. Jester

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

DC81's avatar - batman39
                MI
                United States
                Member #54830
                August 31, 2007
                985 Posts
                Posted: June 21, 2008, 4:46 am - IP Logged

DC:

LOL

PSYKOMO

The answers are in those two topics when it comes to my experiences from the last couple months. My local grocery store's machine seems to like consecutive numbers and duplicating either numbers I picked or just whatever ones that were previously used on the same ticket. It's partially why I started just buying one at a time and then another the next day and maybe at the gas station I have to go by anyway on my way back. Though next week I might try again with a five dollar easy pick to see what I get.

You can't predict random.

Lotto*Love's avatar - lips
                  Washington *state*
                  United States
                  Member #62009
                  June 14, 2008
                  192 Posts
                  Posted: June 21, 2008, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not, though I have changed my technique to see if I get any better numbers than I was getting.  For the longest time I was buying QP's at my towns only grocery store Food Depot.  I noticed that alot of the lines were repeating...either by white balls or the mega ball.  I was a bit annoyed, but once managed to get a higher win because 2 of my 5 lines had 5 as the megaball, so made a few extra $. So sometimes they can work with you.  But I decided to try and get away from those repeats by buying singles....and ran into a worse problem.....numbers right after another...2,22,45,46,47.....5,18,33,34,35...etc.  I haven't had any luck with those, so I'm going back to my $5 QP tickets and see what happens.  I'm also going to try and buy from the small gas stations a bit more.  I may even try MM websites "random picker" and write them down.  Just like stores QP, but I guess I have a bit more control over what I get handed.  No one won last nights MM (now 25m). Hopefully this baby makes it to 100m before someone hits........my bet?  I see N.J hitting.  I don't ever see my poor Wa. lol I know...think positive.........i shall try.

Surrender You can run, but you can't hide mighty Jackpot...surrender to me at once!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: June 21, 2008, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

I wish I knew the answer.  This was asked before and I'm quite sure Pac said a friend in CA showed him that the numbers are already in the terminal at the store.  I always thought they were generated at the moment the ticket is printed and that each terminal was influenced by the Lottery's central computer.  Todd has also explained how QPs are generated a couple of times in other threads.

I guess it only matters if you can determine if the numbers you get are selected by the store terminal's logarithmic function (she writes as if she knows what she's saying) or the main computer at Lottery Headquarters. Then it's possible that one store might be "luckier" than another. (or not..lol)   It's very hard to know if one location is better than the other if we are really dealing with random drawings.  Logic and unpredictable results don't go hand in hand.

edit:  Just to go off-topic a bit, I agree with time*treat about wasting gas.  Last week I was at Publix supermarket which, to me, is only up the street.  Anyway, I can't drink the putrid water that comes out of my tap and I always fill my gallons up at a dispenser for 30 cts.  (Tap water or not, at least it's filtered & tastes good.)   Anyway, when I realized I left my empty jugs at home, I decided to be prudent and not purchase a gallon from the shelf for 69 cts.  (After buying 4 Lottery tickets. LOL)  Later that evening I returned to Publix and checked the mileage.  The distance is about 3 miles roundtrip.  If I get 24mph driving short distances with traffic lights, that means I could make about 8 trips on 1 gal.  8 into $4.08 is $0.51 right?  So I spent 51 cts to save 39.  I felt a little better because I filled up 2 gallons, so I actually saved 39 x 2 = $0.78.  So I came out slightly ahead, but by so little that I decided not to waste the trip and bought another lottery ticket.  :-)   Guess we all need to change our driving habits a little.

Lotto*Love's avatar - lips
                      Washington *state*
                      United States
                      Member #62009
                      June 14, 2008
                      192 Posts
                      Posted: June 21, 2008, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

I often wondered if they were generated right then and there, or if they are spit out of a line of pre-made random numbers already made up at each terminal. If thats true, I can see where some places might have better luck then others.  I also wonder if its the same with scratch tickets.  Some areas have much better chances of seeing the moolah.  I try when I can to buy in the larger cities when I'm there, and I have had better luck. I just may try that website random picker after all. :)

Surrender You can run, but you can't hide mighty Jackpot...surrender to me at once!

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                        Wisconsin
                        United States
                        Member #1303
                        March 27, 2003
                        1508 Posts
                        Posted: June 21, 2008, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

It doesn't make sense to me that it would make any difference where you buy a QP.  However, in our state, there is an area in the middle of the state that the media calls  something like "The Miracle Mile", because it has produced more millionaire jackpot winners than any other area of the state.

The various stores within this area just seem to produce winners.  No one knows why, and I certainly don't. It isn't as if it was the most densely populated area, and therefore sells more tickets than any other area.  Actually, the Milwaukee Metro area has something like 25% of the population of the entire state of Wisconsin.  Yet this area of stores along this highwy to the northwest produces way more Powerball and Megabucks (our state game) winners than the largest metro area.

But then, thee is a lot about the lottery that doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense.....

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                          MD
                          United States
                          Member #1701
                          June 18, 2003
                          8361 Posts
                          Posted: June 21, 2008, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

It doesn't matter where you buy your tickets, the lottery numbers they draw don't care where the tickets were bought. The only thing that matters is if you bought the ticket with the numbers they drew.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                            RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19826 Posts
                            Posted: June 21, 2008, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

Stores that have sold a jackpot winner hope you will believe that because it will increase their sales.  If you ever find a store that sells a lot of jackpot winners then you might start buying your tickets there and see what happens.

The stores I avoid are the one that when you have a $200+ winner will inform you that they don't carry that kind of cash and you will have to come back when the owner is in or take your ticket elsewhere to cash it.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                              Member #24380
                              October 21, 2005
                              623 Posts
                              Posted: June 22, 2008, 1:43 am - IP Logged

So have I.  Sometimes, I wonder, especially, if the time of the day matters.  It seems to me like I have read of big winner stories where the person bought a ticket the day of the drawing just about three or four hours prior to the drawing.  It appears that this is the story I have read most often.  Also, I have read that it was  a spur of the moment decision (went to a store for another purpose)Hippy