Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:11 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Idaho's RNG (Video Included)

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 8 years ago by jarasan.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
Idaho
United States
Member #56506
November 21, 2007
6537 Posts
Posted: June 28, 2008, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

I am guessing that the Idaho Lottery has been getting some emails and calls wondering about how they draw their numbers so they created a page on their official site to show how "great" and "honest" RNGs are. (you should look at the Wild Card 2 drawings to see how "random" it really is.) Here is what they say and here is the video that they are using to promote RNG.

part 1part 2

Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq2lSu-dEqU

Hey Idaho Lottery, you know what is better then RNG? Using ball drawings. Roll Eyes

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1955 Posts
    Posted: June 28, 2008, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

Actually, the particular method they are using is just as random as a ball drawing, assuming everything was coded correctly. Not defending it; just saying it is.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: June 28, 2008, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

It could be Guru, but I still don't trust it very much. I just really have a preference to ball drawings and think they are better then a computer making the drawings.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23277 Posts
        Posted: June 28, 2008, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

I love the oxymoron in the Idaho Lottery's description!

Here's the sentence:

The RNG is the most accurate method to ensure complete randomness to any number selection.

How the heck can "complete randomness" be "accurate"?!

Isn't randomness the opposite of accurate?

Poor grammar aside, I would agree with their implied assertion that the platonium method is the best way to generate random numbers these days.

I don't think that's the issue with most people, however.  I think the issue is that computers can be hacked or re-programmed to bypass the RNG and choose the numbers desired by the programmer.  No matter how secure they claim it to be, it can be hacked or re-programmed by an insider.  (Most lottery scam jobs that occur at headquarters are inside jobs.)

If the Pentagon can be hacked, a state lottery office can be hacked.

The bottom line is that no matter what excuse or justification they give for using a RNG, there is just no reason not to do ball drawings for daily or semi-weekly lottery games.

For raffles and Keno YES to RNG, for all the other lottery games NO to RNG, and YES to ball drawings.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7322 Posts
          Posted: June 28, 2008, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

Here's the sentence:

The RNG is the most accurate method to ensure complete randomness to any number selection.

Poor grammar aside, I would agree with their implied assertion that the platonium method is the best way to generate random numbers these days.

I don't think that's the issue with most people, however.  I think the issue is that computers can be hacked or re-programmed to bypass the RNG and choose the numbers desired by the programmer.  No matter how secure they claim it to be, it can be hacked or re-programmed by an insider.  (Most lottery scam jobs that occur at headquarters are inside jobs.)

The bottom line is that no matter what excuse or justification they give for using a RNG, there is just no reason not to do ball drawings for daily or semi-weekly lottery games.

For raffles and Keno YES to RNG, for all the other lottery games NO to RNG, and YES to ball drawings.

I Agree!

The Ohio Lottery has live ball drawings for three of their online games seven days a week and shows the live drawing of a fourth game Classic Lotto on three of those nights. To me the idea a RNG is "more accurate" and "completely random" is irrelevant when I can't see the process.

How is it less accurate and less random by showing on live TV the 49 numbered balls dropping into a container, mixing them up, and drawing one ball at time?

Idaho
            United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            6537 Posts
            Posted: June 28, 2008, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

See that is what I want. I want to see the drawings happen. I want to see the numbers come up on a live show. I know lots of people say computer drawings are on the up-and-up, but it's hard to believe that when it's done behind closed doors.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
              Marquette, MI
              United States
              Member #20541
              August 20, 2005
              705 Posts
              Posted: June 29, 2008, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

I am guessing that the Idaho Lottery has been getting some emails and calls wondering about how they draw their numbers so they created a page on their official site to show how "great" and "honest" RNGs are. (you should look at the Wild Card 2 drawings to see how "random" it really is.) Here is what they say and here is the video that they are using to promote RNG.

part 1part 2

Here's the video:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq2lSu-dEqU

Hey Idaho Lottery, you know what is better then RNG? Using ball drawings. Roll Eyes

Hah!  RNG = Rigged Numbers GameMad

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                Marquette, MI
                United States
                Member #20541
                August 20, 2005
                705 Posts
                Posted: June 29, 2008, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

Here's the sentence:

Raffles and >BAR< Keno ok, but NOT for Nightly KENO.  Use balls for nightly Keno.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23277 Posts
                  Posted: June 29, 2008, 11:53 pm - IP Logged

Raffles and >BAR< Keno ok, but NOT for Nightly KENO.  Use balls for nightly Keno.

True.  When I said Keno, I meant the kind that is drawn every 5 minutes, like a Quick Draw game.  It would be logistically too difficult to have ball drawings that often, and any mechanical difficulties would mean a drop in revenue and complications in getting everyone with tickets square.  A computer makes sense in that instance.  But for any daily game, mechanical ball machines make sense.  If there's a delay because of a problem, no big deal.  It's more important to have complete transparency in the drawing process, like a ball drawing offers (and a computer does not).

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                    Harbinger
                    D.C./MD.
                    United States
                    Member #44103
                    July 30, 2006
                    5583 Posts
                    Posted: June 30, 2008, 11:02 am - IP Logged

True.  When I said Keno, I meant the kind that is drawn every 5 minutes, like a Quick Draw game.  It would be logistically too difficult to have ball drawings that often, and any mechanical difficulties would mean a drop in revenue and complications in getting everyone with tickets square.  A computer makes sense in that instance.  But for any daily game, mechanical ball machines make sense.  If there's a delay because of a problem, no big deal.  It's more important to have complete transparency in the drawing process, like a ball drawing offers (and a computer does not).

The  Keno games,  (every few minutes) I believe are not "RNG", they are (programmed) setup to pay out relative to number of players and wagers.