Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 5:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What does everyone think about private raffles?

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 8 years ago by time*treat.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Pasadena MD
United States
Member #63021
July 16, 2008
15 Posts
Posted: July 16, 2008, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

I have learned about a private raffle where I can win a house with odds that give me an 87% higher chance of winning the house than $10,000 from my local lottery. What does everyone think about private raffles? What kind of experience does or has everyone had with private raffles? It seems like an awesome game but i wanted to check you guys take on it.

Sunny California
    United States
    Member #40295
    May 31, 2006
    7712 Posts
    Posted: July 18, 2008, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

I personally don't care for them. Much rather take that chunk of money for one raffle ticket and play a bunch of pick 3's instead.

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8359 Posts
      Posted: July 18, 2008, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

It all depends on if you have disposable cash to spend. Any raffle is a game of chance there's a chance you might win and a chance you might loose. I bought a raffle ticket for the house in Westminster MD they had a few months back. The guy that won the raffle for the house has the house up for sale he owes like 125 grand on the taxes.

So be careful what raffle your buying into and find out about the details especially if it's a large sum raffle or property. Any taxes that might arise or out of pocket money that has to be paid if you win. 

Pasadena MD
        United States
        Member #63021
        July 16, 2008
        15 Posts
        Posted: July 21, 2008, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

It all depends on if you have disposable cash to spend. Any raffle is a game of chance there's a chance you might win and a chance you might loose. I bought a raffle ticket for the house in Westminster MD they had a few months back. The guy that won the raffle for the house has the house up for sale he owes like 125 grand on the taxes.

So be careful what raffle your buying into and find out about the details especially if it's a large sum raffle or property. Any taxes that might arise or out of pocket money that has to be paid if you win. 

The raffle I found is only $20 to enter. I watched that raffle for that house. Wasn't it in Washington County? That sucks for that guy considering the market, not to mention his realtor probably has him trying to get the same price the sellers of the house could not get, hence the raffle.

The details for the raffle are.

Grand Prize is a house or $250,000 over 10 years or a lump sum of $175,000. Odds are 1 in 77,000. There is no cost to the winner except those costs which occur during normal ownership or they will help you unload the house if you choose to take the house instead of cash.

First prize is 3 winners will get $1,000 in gas or $750 cash. Odds are 1 in approximately 25,666.

Second prize is 3 winners will get $500 in gas or $375 in cash. Odds are 1 in approximately 25,666.

Third prize is 3 winners will get $100 in gas or $75 cash. Odds are 1 in approximately 25,666.

Every other ticket is guaranteed to win a $5 gift card to an online shopping establishment or $2 off each ticket for the next purchase of tickets for the next raffle.

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8359 Posts
          Posted: July 21, 2008, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

The raffle I found is only $20 to enter. I watched that raffle for that house. Wasn't it in Washington County? That sucks for that guy considering the market, not to mention his realtor probably has him trying to get the same price the sellers of the house could not get, hence the raffle.

The details for the raffle are.

Grand Prize is a house or $250,000 over 10 years or a lump sum of $175,000. Odds are 1 in 77,000. There is no cost to the winner except those costs which occur during normal ownership or they will help you unload the house if you choose to take the house instead of cash.

First prize is 3 winners will get $1,000 in gas or $750 cash. Odds are 1 in approximately 25,666.

Second prize is 3 winners will get $500 in gas or $375 in cash. Odds are 1 in approximately 25,666.

Third prize is 3 winners will get $100 in gas or $75 cash. Odds are 1 in approximately 25,666.

Every other ticket is guaranteed to win a $5 gift card to an online shopping establishment or $2 off each ticket for the next purchase of tickets for the next raffle.

20 bucks isn't bad it gives you one shot at it. Raffles can be great if you win but disappointing if you lose.

Good luck to you if you play it.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
            time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
            Member #13130
            March 30, 2005
            2171 Posts
            Posted: July 22, 2008, 12:26 am - IP Logged

I'd have taken the $175,000. Wink

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.