Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Taxes

Topic closed. 78 replies. Last post 8 years ago by paulkbarnes.

Page 5 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
PA
United States
Member #22983
October 6, 2005
2226 Posts
Posted: July 22, 2008, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

Hell,I gotta take a pass on what your books says.I don't own any "Sunday best" clothes.Do ya s'pose they'd let me wear cut off jeans and a carshow t-shirt?I cuss up a storm in mixed company and will probably let lose with a few choice words out of habit.Do ya s'pose they'll bleep out what I say?When they ask me what I'm going to do with all that money,I'll probably say something like "any damn thing I want,why the f*** do you ask?".Hell,if I act like my normal self I'll turn their required press conference upside down.I'll have enough money to pay any fine and/or fight any charges that might be filed against me for my language.Damn,I can't wait to win!Maybe my actions will force them to do away with press conferences and allow winners to remain anonymous.HyperDanceBananaHurray!

Well if that is how you want to remember your once in a lifetime big moment go ahead. You will also be attracting a lot more attention and many others will remember you even better as well. The media feeds off of negativity so you would be doing exactly what they want, and drawing more unnecessary attention on yourself.

United States
    Member #58528
    February 18, 2008
    710 Posts
    Posted: July 22, 2008, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

Well if that is how you want to remember your once in a lifetime big moment go ahead. You will also be attracting a lot more attention and many others will remember you even better as well. The media feeds off of negativity so you would be doing exactly what they want, and drawing more unnecessary attention on yourself.

Well,I'd rather be myself than to act like a robot and do what "the book" says to do.Who wrote this book anyway....Miss Manners?.

PA
      United States
      Member #22983
      October 6, 2005
      2226 Posts
      Posted: July 22, 2008, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

Well this "act" is a very logical thing to do if you want to keep others and more media at bay. Drawing more attention to yourself is a pretty stupid thing to do, and even a more security risk to you and your family. The goal is to be as boring as possible, put everyone to sleep, get out of there, and go and start enjoying life. Not to attract even more herds of people after you. "With great power comes great responsibility." But go ahead and knock yourself out if you want.

The person that wrote the book is a very competent person who knows their stuff, and has obvious done A LOT of research. Such an important event needs to be taken seriously, and handled with grace and dignity as to avoid public embarrassment and potential regret. If dressing like a slob is how you want to remember such a momentous occasion, then go ahead. Although this makes one look as though they are not prepared to handle such wealth from the getgo, and look like an easy target.

United States
        Member #58528
        February 18, 2008
        710 Posts
        Posted: July 22, 2008, 11:13 pm - IP Logged

Well this "act" is a very logical thing to do if you want to keep others and more media at bay. Drawing more attention to yourself is a pretty stupid thing to do, and even a more security risk to you and your family. The goal is to be as boring as possible, put everyone to sleep, get out of there, and go and start enjoying life. Not to attract even more herds of people after you. "With great power comes great responsibility." But go ahead and knock yourself out if you want.

The person that wrote the book is a very competent person who knows their stuff, and has obvious done A LOT of research. Such an important event needs to be taken seriously, and handled with grace and dignity as to avoid public embarrassment and potential regret. If dressing like a slob is how you want to remember such a momentous occasion, then go ahead. Although this makes one look as though they are not prepared to handle such wealth from the getgo, and look like an easy target.

You go ahead and follow the books directions when you go to collect your millions if you win the lottery.And don't forget to take the book with you in case you forget how to act or what to say.

I'll go collect my check as myself when I win.I don't need a book to tell me what to do.And I can pretty much figure what to say on my own.

By the way,how many lotterys has the author of this book won?What makes him an expert on anything other than telling people how to dress and act?

PA
          United States
          Member #22983
          October 6, 2005
          2226 Posts
          Posted: July 23, 2008, 2:24 am - IP Logged

You can do what you want, I am simply saying why create more unnecessary attention and act like an idiot? I already know how to "act" and speak very well, as I am a professional entertainer; so I do not need the book thanks. Also one need not be a jackpot winner to be educated properly, or teach all of the aspects involved with claiming a prize. Most of it is sound logical advice, but not to everyone.

But I think since the author has a bachelor's degree in business administration, and a masters in public administration, and more; he probably knows a thing or two about these things. But if you want to dress like you normally do everyday that is fine. you will be easier to find. Figuring out what to say then is a little irresponsible and one should be prepared and well planned for such important statements. You could be held liable later on for any statements made.

You obviously fail to see the importance of such an event, and are not adequately prepared for any jackpot win it seems. I would read up if I were you, otherwise it could all turn out to be a disaster. Let me know when it will be on TV though, should make great entertainment.

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
            Washington State
            United States
            Member #33973
            February 26, 2006
            347 Posts
            Posted: July 23, 2008, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

Informative thread, can someone shed some light on the dreadful "gift tax" for me.  How is it that they know what and who you gave money too.  Do they check withdrawls and deposits.  I heard its something like 10,000 or 13,000 is the max a gift can be then a tax has to be paid on it.  Is it just on cash or if I were to purchase things for someone else would the gift tax apply.  Thanks in advance

The best source of information on the gift tax - and on the estate tax, too - is probably the IRS website.  You might want to check out this publication:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p950.pdf

CCHS13's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
              Illinois
              United States
              Member #46704
              September 23, 2006
              3692 Posts
              Posted: July 23, 2008, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

Appreciate the response kloud9y2k and thanks for the link Uff Da!

Men Lie Women Lie Numbers Dont

PA
                United States
                Member #22983
                October 6, 2005
                2226 Posts
                Posted: July 24, 2008, 3:07 am - IP Logged

Also, are you taxed an additional 10% the next year on the original amount or the amount after the 25% deduction?

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                  Washington State
                  United States
                  Member #33973
                  February 26, 2006
                  347 Posts
                  Posted: July 24, 2008, 9:11 am - IP Logged

Sirbrad, please go back and read some of the explanations given to you above.  You are never taxed an additional 10%.  Your tax rate is based upon your total adjusted gross income less deductions and credits.  Perhaps the following chart will help you.

http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/article/0,,id=164272,00.html

With most investments you are not going to have withholding of estimated taxes at all.  (There are some exceptions, like when you make a withdrawal of money from an IRA.)  If a large portion of your income comes from a source where taxes aren't withheld in advance, you have to roughly calculate what your taxes should be and fill out an IRS estimated tax form each of the first three quarters of the year - and send in that amount with the form.  Then you'll fill out the complete income tax form at the end of the year and send any remaining amounts you owe to the IRS at that time.

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
                    Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
                    United States
                    Member #26084
                    November 14, 2005
                    199 Posts
                    Posted: July 28, 2008, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

Sirbrad, please go back and read some of the explanations given to you above.  You are never taxed an additional 10%.  Your tax rate is based upon your total adjusted gross income less deductions and credits.  Perhaps the following chart will help you.

http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/article/0,,id=164272,00.html

With most investments you are not going to have withholding of estimated taxes at all.  (There are some exceptions, like when you make a withdrawal of money from an IRA.)  If a large portion of your income comes from a source where taxes aren't withheld in advance, you have to roughly calculate what your taxes should be and fill out an IRS estimated tax form each of the first three quarters of the year - and send in that amount with the form.  Then you'll fill out the complete income tax form at the end of the year and send any remaining amounts you owe to the IRS at that time.

Thanks all for all the good info and entertaining reading.

Now I get the part where they take out 25% for taxes on your win. I get that after they take out the 25%, you only pay taxes on the money you earn from your winnings and not the original win.

Now here is where I get confused. This is from the link that Uff Da gave....

Schedule Y-1 — Married Filing Jointly or Qualifying Widow(er)

If taxable income is over $349,700

But not over--no limit

The tax is:$94,601.00 plus 35% of the amount over 349,700

I think this (35%) is for other money like salary, investments, interest on savings that they tax at this rate.

So tell me where I went wrong.Confused

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                      Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: July 28, 2008, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

This is the way I understand it:

If your taxable income (total salary, interest, lottery prizes, etc., less every possible deduction) is $549,700. Then you would pay $94,601 + an additional $70K ($200K x 35%)  = $164,601 total tax due 

That's approx 30% of your total taxable income.  Although I think it's fair, since they are still paying a lot more tax, this is why many people resent the wealthy getting a tax break.  Someone making $50,000 a year might end up paying the same percentage of his actual income as someone who makes $550,000, even more if he doesn't have a lot of deductions.

Whether you win the lottery or earn the money from a job, it doesn't matter.  It's still income.  The reason they take out 25% is that the IRS requires it (30% for non-residents) but you might end up paying a little more.  They don't take out 30%, because then it would get complicated.  They'd have to say "Okay, you made this amount, and you are married, so then it's $94,601 + 35% for you and you're single so it's $101,469 + 35%for you...."   They take out 25% even if you only win $10,000 if I'm not mistaken.  Yet, if you don't make any other income, at the end of the year, your tax brack will only be 10%, so you'll get a tax refund.

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
                        Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
                        United States
                        Member #26084
                        November 14, 2005
                        199 Posts
                        Posted: July 29, 2008, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the info.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                          Member #4877
                          May 30, 2004
                          5118 Posts
                          Posted: July 30, 2008, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

Think of the lottery winnings of $1 million as an "extra weekly pay check". Taxes were withheld, you filed on or before April 15 the following year, and you either got a refund or paid what you owed. Your tax obligations on the $1 million are done just like your tax obligations on every other weekly pay check.

Thinking of...,,,,,,,,,,,<<<<<<<<<<<< "DON't WORRY"

YOU shouda WON the JACKPOT 2004 thru 2008>>>>>>>>>>>>>

THE DEMORAT's HAVE "promised" to ^^^^^^^^^^raise TAXE$$$

THEY "R" too LOW now>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>THEY SAY!!!!!!!

STOP play'n those SILLY<<<<<<<"JACKPOT" >>>>GAME'$$$

LOL

PSYKOMO

AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
                            Just outside of Cleveland, OH
                            United States
                            Member #54079
                            August 3, 2007
                            106 Posts
                            Posted: August 1, 2008, 3:49 am - IP Logged

So I will ask again, what if I have a million dollars just sitting in a non-interest bearing account or my own safe for years? Can I be taxed on it again and again?

NO

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                              Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: August 1, 2008, 4:12 am - IP Logged

So I will ask again, what if I have a million dollars just sitting in a non-interest bearing account or my own safe for years? Can I be taxed on it again and again?

As Auntie Pat wrote, the answer is "no."  You won't get taxed on money just because you have it in a safe or no interest checking account, but why would you want to do that? Although there are plenty of ways to invest where taxes are deferred (as long as you don't withdraw the interest) I don't understand why someone would be so concerned about paying taxes that he would lose interest or dividends on investments. Let's say you make $50,000 in interest one year and end up paying about $10,000 in taxes. You are still ahead by $40,000.