Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 12:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Winning "BIG" in Powerball or Megamillions

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Uff Da!.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Can you keep it a secret?

Yes [ 18 ]  [64.29%]
No [ 5 ]  [17.86%]
Maybe so. Please explain how [ 5 ]  [17.86%]
Total Valid Votes [ 28 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
st.germain's avatar - Tarlor
chicago ill.
United States
Member #3600
February 4, 2004
337 Posts
Posted: July 21, 2008, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

So, after reading many posts on how people would keep their win a secret who may have won a huge jackpot. I have to ask..... Is that possible? So, cast your vote and let us know how that could be done.

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8393 Posts
    Posted: July 21, 2008, 2:11 pm - IP Logged
    If your single i think it might be possible. If you have a family then i say no way somebody will spill the beans. Some secrets can be kept for a little while but sooner or later the cats out of the bag.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.

United States
      Member #58528
      February 18, 2008
      710 Posts
      Posted: July 21, 2008, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

I'd like to keep it secret from the I.R.S.,they seem to be the biggest thieves to fear.Wink

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
        Member #47420
        November 4, 2006
        3930 Posts
        Posted: July 21, 2008, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

No way I could keep it a secret..Spend spend spend is my motto..

DC81's avatar - batman39
          MI
          United States
          Member #54830
          August 31, 2007
          985 Posts
          Posted: July 21, 2008, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

As I said in the other topic, it just depends on several factors. But I do think it's possible if you make at least something that resembles a plan. Heck, you could easily keep it from family too as long as they don't live with you or something like that and there's none that know you well. One thing I forgot to mention before is getting caught on the security camera at the place you bought the ticket from, though I think a lot of people would have a negative reaction to a store releasing something like that just for the sake of outting the winner. Especially if they took the time to claim without their name getting out.

But to me, the biggest issue would be not having my name in the press release if I could. I know I unfortunately couldn't manage to keep total anonymity. But I could manage to at least limit, to an extent, how many people will be able to actually find out.

You can't predict random.

Republic of Texas
            United States
            Member #57557
            January 9, 2008
            1095 Posts
            Posted: July 21, 2008, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

I would do my best to keep it secret.  I could always start a lottery club, but I haven't done so yet.  My family is out of state, but I don't worry about keeping it secret from them.  We're all pretty close. Around here, though, my home is still in my married name, as are the utilities. I'm sure someone could look up my address through my DL, but I would be moving soon after the win anyway. 

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23352 Posts
              Posted: July 21, 2008, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #56506
                November 21, 2007
                6537 Posts
                Posted: July 22, 2008, 1:50 am - IP Logged

If I wanted too, I could keep it a secret from most people except from those members of my family I am really close to. We are just not like that and I would have no reason to hide a big win from them.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

wyoming, michigan
                  United States
                  Member #53058
                  June 22, 2007
                  637 Posts
                  Posted: July 22, 2008, 11:51 am - IP Logged

Well if you claimed it and requested to keep your identity private, they will let you do that in mich.  And then told your friends and relatives you won oh lets say $250,000 they would say great and hopefully expect and or ask for alot less.  My family would expect something, and i guess that is okay for them but i do see most all of them as wanting as much as i would give and more.  Have to be very careful about how you help and why.  Very sad and i do love them very much, but i dont have to like alot of what they say or do.  Just accept and not enable the wrong ideals.  God bless and good luck.   P.S.  Wonder how they would respond if it was they who won millions and were able to give or not give to the family.

mken32's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                    I dont know where
                    United States
                    Member #1702
                    June 18, 2003
                    103 Posts
                    Posted: July 22, 2008, 11:53 am - IP Logged

I think it would be easy to keep it a secret,,,,, My wife and son which scares me to death because they can't keep a secret maybe my wife but my son I don't know he'll probably post it on Myspace and then the cat out of the bag....

Party Like a RockStar

One2Adore's avatar - butterfly2
                      Maryland
                      United States
                      Member #50566
                      March 8, 2007
                      88 Posts
                      Posted: July 22, 2008, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

Well if you claimed it and requested to keep your identity private, they will let you do that in mich.  And then told your friends and relatives you won oh lets say $250,000 they would say great and hopefully expect and or ask for alot less.  My family would expect something, and i guess that is okay for them but i do see most all of them as wanting as much as i would give and more.  Have to be very careful about how you help and why.  Very sad and i do love them very much, but i dont have to like alot of what they say or do.  Just accept and not enable the wrong ideals.  God bless and good luck.   P.S.  Wonder how they would respond if it was they who won millions and were able to give or not give to the family.

You brought up a great idea for me.  It would be hard for me to keep a secret about winning the lottery from my entire family because I would want to help them out.  But some would abuse the help.  So not telling them the whole truth about how much was won would be my best bet.  Ten percent of my take home (after taxes)  amount would be what I'd tell friends and family that I won.   My husband wouldn't want to tell anyone except our immediate family (mother/father/sister/brother) and then swear them to secrecy or they don't get a dime.  That option works for me too.  Luckily, in Maryland, you can claim your prize anonymously.  Now all I need is to win tonight's Mega Million to test this theory out.  Wink

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.

DC81's avatar - batman39
                        MI
                        United States
                        Member #54830
                        August 31, 2007
                        985 Posts
                        Posted: July 22, 2008, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

Unfortunately they only allow you do that with the state lottery games, not Mega Millions.

Kennesaw, GA
                          United States
                          Member #62138
                          June 18, 2008
                          1414 Posts
                          Posted: July 23, 2008, 11:40 am - IP Logged

I would keep it a secret, i dont want people treating me any different because of the size of my bank account.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                            Indiana
                            United States
                            Member #48725
                            January 7, 2007
                            1958 Posts
                            Posted: July 23, 2008, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

I would keep it a secret, i dont want people treating me any different because of the size of my bank account.

Big house? Lamborghini? Oh no, you couldn't be rich!Big Grin

Gonna win.Big Smile

DC81's avatar - batman39
                              MI
                              United States
                              Member #54830
                              August 31, 2007
                              985 Posts
                              Posted: July 23, 2008, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

Well, you know I admit there is a part of me that would want to go the next day and claim it ASAP exposure be damned, that urge would probably be hard to resist. But I think I could manage it.