Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Sorry Gail, but I don't think so

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 8 years ago by time*treat.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10350 Posts
Posted: July 24, 2008, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

I was going through some old stuff and found one of those "mini mags" they sell at the grocery check out counters.

This one is How to Win the Lottery - Proven Formulas for Success, by Gail Howard, copyright is 2003.

This is from pages 9-13, Some Money Saving Tips:

Avoid All Low numbers

Sorry Gail, but wrong from what I've seen. In fact, it seems that when all the numbers are low, it's almost guaranteed to be a shared jackpot.

Avoid Number Multiples

Not common, but it does happen.

Avoid All Same Last Digits

I've seen this one, too.

Nix Quick Picks

(Her comment): "When I saw the actual statistics, I found that one has a better chance of sinning by picking numbers randomly out of a hat than by using Quick Picks.

Well, when you're a system seller I guuess you'll use whatever hypes your product, but that one is pure baloney.

There are some decent things in it, like never play 1 2 3 4 5 6, but I think most people know that, at least people here at LP.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: July 24, 2008, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

Avoid All Low numbers

Sorry Gail, but wrong from what I've seen. In fact, it seems that when all the numbers are low, it's almost guaranteed to be a shared jackpot.

Why would you disagree with the above statement? Do you want to share a JP?

Am I missing something?

You probably meant something else...lol

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
      CT
      United States
      Member #61398
      May 21, 2008
      781 Posts
      Posted: July 25, 2008, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

"better chance of winning by picking numbers out of a hat"

Actually no matter what you do, you still have an equal chance at winning.  Statistics may prove one method more profitable, but your chance does not change.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6537 Posts
        Posted: July 26, 2008, 12:17 am - IP Logged

When it comes to games like PB, MM, other pick 6 games and Pick 5 games, I don't think there can be a set of rules. Yes, you can avoid certain combinations, if you want to avoid winning a jackpot with a bunch of other people, but really, any number and any combination can come out at anytime. So yeah, I don't really agree with some of the things that Gail says.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
          Member #41383
          June 16, 2006
          1969 Posts
          Posted: July 26, 2008, 2:02 am - IP Logged

You can improve you chances drastically if you just pay attention to the prior games, and I mean the last 30 games or so, not the last 5 years.

But as I say to everyone, when I say 'improve your chances drastically',  in my eyes, changing your odds from 1 in 146 mill to 1 in 1 mill still isn't a whole heckuva lot.

Look at it this way: what are the odds if I ask you to pick just one number out of 55 ?   Just one person, one number, not 55 people with one choice, where everyone would pick a different number, somebody WILL win.

There ARE trends and tendencies, and I KNOW if you pay attention you can get 3x5 every couple of weeks, but NOBODY has a system to get you much more than a 3x5, because if they did, they wouldn't sell it.  I know I wouldn't.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: July 26, 2008, 2:43 am - IP Logged

Sometimes I think if I just picked the combinations that aren't supposed to ever come up, I'd win a lot more!  For example, the pick-5 in FL the other night was 1-5-6-7-33.  4 numbers under 10!    I posted this on the pick-5 forum and also mentioned that the Lotto number began with 8-9-10.   One combination was multiples of 4 like 4-8-12-16-32 and there are a lot of all even or all odd combinations.  I do agree with paying attention to the numbers & trends, but the problem is that there are so many choices, you have to spend a lot to play all of them.  Even with a 6/53 game, the odds are almost 1:23M.  A few times I've gotten 3 or 4 numbers but would have gotten 5 (which pays an average of $5,000) had I just spent a few more dollars, but we all need to have a limit.

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7308 Posts
              Posted: July 26, 2008, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

When it comes to games like PB, MM, other pick 6 games and Pick 5 games, I don't think there can be a set of rules. Yes, you can avoid certain combinations, if you want to avoid winning a jackpot with a bunch of other people, but really, any number and any combination can come out at anytime. So yeah, I don't really agree with some of the things that Gail says.

"I don't think there can be a set of rules."

If you're talking about the next drawing, 1-2-3-4-5+6 is just as likely to be drawn as another combination. The same is true with all low numbers, even numbers, having the same last digit, or all the numbers with multiples of 3, 5, and etc. But in the next 100 or even 1000 drawings a very low percentage of drawings will have those types of combinations and that's why most lottery strategy and 'how to play' books suggest avoiding those type of combos.

Gail Howard mentions that many players get 1-2-3-4-5+6 or 5-10-15-20-25+30 and if they are drawn the jackpot will be split many ways. If that's true in MM and PB when the jackpots are lower, it's possible for a jackpot winner to get much less than somebody picking the first 5 numbers. I guess we'll have to wait until one of those combos are drawn to know exactly how many people play them.

"So yeah, I don't really agree with some of the things that Gail says."

The info about avoiding low percentage combos is accurate, but it's almost useless. It may reduce the number of playable combinations by 10% but there are still over 130 million combos left and only one is going to be drawn. It's true that it gives us a better chance, but I'd rather find a method that gives me a good to excellent chance of winning.

A beef I do have with most wheeling books; they tell us what not to play with very little strategy of what to play.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: July 26, 2008, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

Wheeling books are mostly written by people who are better at making money from books than making money from lotteries. Wink

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.