Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Amazing implementation of record highs.

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 8 years ago by djklaugh.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
mn
United States
Member #59040
March 4, 2008
276 Posts
Posted: July 30, 2008, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

I was just reading the FAQ's of various lotto websites thats speaks of powerball. When the jackpot reaches reaches record intervals, the officials implement something called the Match 5 Bonus prize pool. It's crazy; each rollover is an additional twenty five mil which is the max limit they will raise on the jackpot so the rest of the ticket sales go into this pool until someone wins the jp, then the pool is divided equally among all the 5+0 winners. Thats amazing.

Now what I was thinking is this: what if somebody wins the jp in the 500+ mill, the pool had to of grown exponentially since it started, how much money do the 5+0 winners win, close to the base 15 mill i presume, and the average number of people that win the 5+0 is what 5-10 individuals; interesting ideas of the lottery.

This pool is either incredibly intelligent or incredibly naive.

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10348 Posts
    Posted: July 30, 2008, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

As far as I know, there's never been a $400,000,000 jackpot yet, let alone $500,000,000.

Also, since this is about Powerball, considering Powerball has a multiplier (Power play), how can the pool possibly be divided equally among all 5 + 0 winners?

Sounds like a "contingency" plan for something that this particular lottery is figuring will never happen.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
      mn
      United States
      Member #59040
      March 4, 2008
      276 Posts
      Posted: July 30, 2008, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

1) I also know this.

2) I don't think it is either, I thought about pp also, I don't know how they woud implement it, I don't think its ever been done before, but if the interval is at record highs the pool would be large enough for close to base levels especially for pp right?

3) I suppose it is, but it would be interesting, megamillions do not implement this plan, they just continue raising the jp even above pb's max 25 mil interval and that's why mm always have record highs

records: mm-390 mil; pb-365 mil

Interesting dilemma

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
      "The same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world."

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
        Portland,Oregon
        United States
        Member #14387
        April 25, 2005
        229 Posts
        Posted: July 31, 2008, 12:46 am - IP Logged

Go to the official Powerball website and find the page "Powerball - Prizes and Odds"  At the bottom of that page is the explanation of how the Match 5 Bonus prize works.

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison