Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Ball?

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
San Diego
United States
Member #62908
July 13, 2008
1 Posts
Posted: July 31, 2008, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

The question I have is how come nobody ever mentions anything whatsoever about the Mega/Powerball number when wheeling numbers? In the California Super Lotto Plus game, you have to pick 5 numbers from a pool of 47 PLUS 1 of 27 numbers from a SEPERATE pool of numbers, but I never hear any mention of how to deal with this in wheeling numbers. If you're going to win any decent amount of money, you HAVE TO HAVE THE MEGA NUMBER, TOO! I've seached high and low all over the Internet, but can't find anything on how to deal with this. I was just going to do a 6 number 15 ticket Serotic wheel when I realized I couldn't because the Cal Super Lotto is a 5 number game (PLUS THE MEGA NUMBER). How can you wheel numbers with no consideration for the Mega Number? Or maybe I'm missing something?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10392 Posts
    Posted: August 1, 2008, 12:09 am - IP Logged

desi656

5 + 1 games are kind of two lotteris in one. If you get the first 5 numbers you still have to have all of them link to the one right +1 number.

Very often, when a big jackpot is hit, one of the five numbers is also the PB or MM number.

When several peole are all picking numbers together, often someone will ask, "OK, we've got five, what about the "bonus" number?" Then someone will name a number and someone else will say, "We already have that number."

(If you've ever been in such a group you realize some people just do not get this).

So when it comes to making a wheel for PB or MM, considering the above, you might want to choose your six numbers from five numbers.

Example:

2  16  24  34  45     45

8  18  24  33  45     45

and combine those numbers in different combos.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19903 Posts
      Posted: August 1, 2008, 12:24 am - IP Logged

When you play PowerBall, MegaMillions or California Super Lotto Plus, you're playing  two combinations from two different pools and you can only wheel numbers from one pool at a time. There are many possible combinations of fives in the one pool and only one combination of one per each number in the other pool so you wheel five numbers from one pool and just pick a bonus number from the other depending on what you think will hit.

Ohio once had a Super Lotto game where the bonus number was picked from the same pool as the regular numbers.  It was a 6/49 + 1 of the 43 that was left over, the bonus number was only used on the lower tier prizes and only the first 6 numbers counted toward the jackpot so you were still limited to just wheeling the first six numbers and picking a bonus number that wasn't in the wheeled combinations.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
        Dump Water Florida
        United States
        Member #380
        June 5, 2002
        3114 Posts
        Posted: August 1, 2008, 3:04 am - IP Logged

The question I have is how come nobody ever mentions anything whatsoever about the Mega/Powerball number when wheeling numbers? In the California Super Lotto Plus game, you have to pick 5 numbers from a pool of 47 PLUS 1 of 27 numbers from a SEPERATE pool of numbers, but I never hear any mention of how to deal with this in wheeling numbers. If you're going to win any decent amount of money, you HAVE TO HAVE THE MEGA NUMBER, TOO! I've seached high and low all over the Internet, but can't find anything on how to deal with this. I was just going to do a 6 number 15 ticket Serotic wheel when I realized I couldn't because the Cal Super Lotto is a 5 number game (PLUS THE MEGA NUMBER). How can you wheel numbers with no consideration for the Mega Number? Or maybe I'm missing something?

If you have the GH software and you know what I mean if you have it, it's in there as a one ball lottery game.  See how well the D chart of followers does predicting it in the top 5 followers.

Otherwise, look at the 5 longest out from last hit, a number often comes from them.  You can also look at the most recent 5 drawn, check the history to see if a number from the previous 5 often is drawn again.

What you do is take 3 to 5 mega or power numbers and rotate them against the combinations you are playing.

BobP

LottoL's avatar - techno eye.jpg
          Texas
          United States
          Member #33719
          February 24, 2006
          705 Posts
          Posted: August 1, 2008, 3:32 am - IP Logged

Very often, when a big jackpot is hit, one of the five numbers is also the PB or MM number.

Example:
          2  16  24  34  45     45
          8  18  24  33  45     45

================================================================

Just a sidenote on the MegaMillions Lottery,

Since Texas joined MegaMillions in 2005, there have been 39 Megamillion Jackpot winners.
          Of these 39 winning jackpot drawings, only TWO drawings have occurred where the
          Megaball has matched one of the numbers drawn.  (5/23/08 & 8/1/06)

Good Luck!
          LottoL

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
            Member #91
            January 19, 2002
            12015 Posts
            Posted: August 1, 2008, 7:04 am - IP Logged

Example:
            2  16  24  34  45     45
            8  18  24  33  45     45

================================================================

Just a sidenote on the MegaMillions Lottery,

Since Texas joined MegaMillions in 2005, there have been 39 Megamillion Jackpot winners.
            Of these 39 winning jackpot drawings, only TWO drawings have occurred where the
            Megaball has matched one of the numbers drawn.  (5/23/08 & 8/1/06)

Good Luck!
            LottoL

If you eliminate "jackpot winners" from the statement, in the last 269 mega million drawings the mega ball has matched 1 of the wb numbers approx 24 times.  I believe the MB 10 had the best showing at 4,,,,,this was just quick glance..."IT CAN HAPPEN"

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
              Member #91
              January 19, 2002
              12015 Posts
              Posted: August 1, 2008, 8:32 am - IP Logged

Most players believe that unlocking the secret to the 5 WB selection is the key to winning the jackpot....if you have a successfull system of picking 5 wb's then all you would have to do is play the WB with each one of the MB's to win...If I can corner the 5 WB's then it would cost me $46 to put all the Mega balls behind it....

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7344 Posts
                Posted: August 1, 2008, 10:04 am - IP Logged

"How can you wheel numbers with no consideration for the Mega Number?"

To get the best distribution you need a pick-5 abbreviated wheels where each number occurrence is balanced and the total number of combinations is equally divided by the number of Mega/Powerball numbers you're using. For instance a 3 if 4 guaranteed 12 number wheel has 12 combinations and each of the 12 numbers occur 5 times. You could use 4 Mega/PB numbers 3 times each with that wheel and get a 1+1 guarantee by distributing each of the Mega/PB balls with at least 1 of the 12 numbers.

Another method is using a 35 combination 4 if 5 abbreviated 12 number wheel with the 4 Mega/PB balls and getting a 2+1 guarantee. While it's still possible to get a 4+1 by matching 4 of the 12 numbers and 1 of the 4 Mega/PB balls, we have to consider the overwhelming odds of against doing it. To get that guarantee we would need to play the same wheel four times at a cost of $140.

"Or maybe I'm missing something?"

I believe the reason the wheel making book authors don't offer this type of wheel is because the win guarantee is very small and might not cover the cost of the wheel. We would have to match 4+0 or 3+1 almost every drawing just to break even. A 14 number wheel only covers 25% of the numbers and would need 8 or 9 Mega/PB numbers to get the same coverage. And a book full of wheels that could cost over $100 to play isn't very useful to the average player.

On LP there is Maddog's Mega Millions and Powerball Challenges and these 12 number wheels could be very useful for those that want play their predictions.

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7344 Posts
                  Posted: August 1, 2008, 10:51 am - IP Logged

When you play PowerBall, MegaMillions or California Super Lotto Plus, you're playing  two combinations from two different pools and you can only wheel numbers from one pool at a time. There are many possible combinations of fives in the one pool and only one combination of one per each number in the other pool so you wheel five numbers from one pool and just pick a bonus number from the other depending on what you think will hit.

Ohio once had a Super Lotto game where the bonus number was picked from the same pool as the regular numbers.  It was a 6/49 + 1 of the 43 that was left over, the bonus number was only used on the lower tier prizes and only the first 6 numbers counted toward the jackpot so you were still limited to just wheeling the first six numbers and picking a bonus number that wasn't in the wheeled combinations.

I hate to sound like a pessimist but we all know how difficult it is to match 4 out of 28 numbers and even a 2 if 2 wheel using 28 numbers has 41 combinations. Since most of the number only occurs 7 times in the wheel, we could only use 7 Mega/PB numbers just to get a 1+1 guarantee. And even matching 3+0 or 2+1 only covers about half of the cost. There are reoccurring trends and patterns that could be used to create a system but can it be reduced into playable combinations that greatly increases our odds that doesn't cost in the hundreds or thousands of dollars?

When you compare that cost to the jackpot winners that bought $2 to $20 worth of QPs, played birthdays, personal numbers, or combinations of all the above, it's probably better to do just that and cross our fingers and don't get upset putting the tickets in waste basket. 

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                    Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23352 Posts
                    Posted: August 2, 2008, 12:35 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.