Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Manny Ramirez' new number

Topic closed. 1 reply. Last post 8 years ago by tntea.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10353 Posts
Posted: August 2, 2008, 10:37 am - IP Logged

Ramirez wore No. 99, not to honor Barbara Felton or Mitch “Wild Thing” Williams or even reprise Wayne Gretzky wearing 99 for the L.A. Kings two decades ago. Ramirez couldn’t have the number he wore in Boston, 24, because it was Walter Alston’s and is retired. Then he asked for 30 but missed it by a week because newly acquired third baseman Casey Blake grabbed it. His next choice was 34, but that was worn by Fernando Valenzuela and is retired. So he said he didn’t care, and the Dodgers gave him 99.

By the time he decided on something else, it was too late. The Los Angeles Dodgers already were cranking out Manny 99 jerseys, expecting to sell plenty to the 30,000 fans who bought tickets to games this weekend since the trade.

“Ninety-nine is fine,” he said. “I’ll stay with it.”

YAhoo! Sports MLB

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
    Member #5344
    June 30, 2004
    23641 Posts
    Posted: August 2, 2008, 11:18 am - IP Logged

Ramirez wore No. 99, not to honor Barbara Felton or Mitch “Wild Thing” Williams or even reprise Wayne Gretzky wearing 99 for the L.A. Kings two decades ago. Ramirez couldn’t have the number he wore in Boston, 24, because it was Walter Alston’s and is retired. Then he asked for 30 but missed it by a week because newly acquired third baseman Casey Blake grabbed it. His next choice was 34, but that was worn by Fernando Valenzuela and is retired. So he said he didn’t care, and the Dodgers gave him 99.

By the time he decided on something else, it was too late. The Los Angeles Dodgers already were cranking out Manny 99 jerseys, expecting to sell plenty to the 30,000 fans who bought tickets to games this weekend since the trade.

“Ninety-nine is fine,” he said. “I’ll stay with it.”

YAhoo! Sports MLB

I wish the Dodgers lots of luck with their "Manny".   I am a huge "Red Sox" fan and I am happy to have "Bay" to take "Manny's " place.

I only wish Manny had grew up before he left Red Sox.  We sure waited a long time.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44