Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 2:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I saw, I bought, I scratched, I lost.

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 8 years ago by ThatScaryChick.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Lotto*Love's avatar - lips
Washington *state*
United States
Member #62009
June 14, 2008
192 Posts
Posted: August 2, 2008, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but what the heck....its on my mind now.

I was just at the grocery store buying bottled water when I glanced over at the lottery scratcher machine and said in my head, "ok.....you know your holding my winning scratch ticket, I know your holding my winning scratch ticket....so why don't you just meet me half way...I'll give you the money......and you give me more money...agree?"  After my water purchase, I started over to the machine, but noticed a leggy blonde in a pink mini and matching high heels putting a bill in the machine.  She began pushing buttons to dispence tickets...one...after another......after another........after another.............AFTER ANOTHER! lol  The noise the machine was making, I thought it was gonna blow up any minute.  An oray or colorful tickets showed themselves over and over in the catcher tray.  $1 ones...$2 ones...$3 ones.  What the hell kind of bill did she put into it?  When she was finally done, she walked away fixing her scratch tickets as if they were a deck of cards.  I walked up to the machine...I swear I smelt smoke.  Pulling out my lousy $1 and putting it in, choosing the ticket my state lottery website said still had 5/5 top prize left.  I walked out of the store, clutching my ticket in hand.  Sat in a shady, quiet area, and began scratching.  NOTHING!  NOTHING! NOTHING! lol Ya.....I know.......we can't all win all the time.

Ok..so I know that even purchasing 1 ticket can make you a winner both small........or big, I'm beginning to think that leggy blonde took my win! lol

Where is this going? I'm sorry.....I just had to vent.....my question is...when you purchase tickets....1,2,3,10...how ever many tickets..do you choose this one and then that one? Or is there a better chance of winning if say you feed the maching a $5 and buy 5 $1 tickets of the same game? Or putting in a $10 and buying 5 of the same $2 tickets? Thinking that theres a better chance of a winner if you buy 5 in a row of the same game and so on.  My $1 purchase of $1 tickets is getting me no where fast lol.  I do play quite often too. But I must say, I'm getting tired of winning nothing all the time. ( I also think winning my money back is not a win.....I get alot of those.)  My last ticket I actually made more with was about 3 weeks ago.  I put in a dollar........I won $2!  Woo hoo! GO ME!

Surrender You can run, but you can't hide mighty Jackpot...surrender to me at once!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19828 Posts
    Posted: August 2, 2008, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

I don't play scratchers expecting to win big because a big winner has to be at least on the roll of tickets you're playing and odds are a roll with a big winner isn't even in the town where you're playing and no matter how much you spend you're not going to win a big prize.

Over the last 10 years my state had many scratch-off games that had big prizes such as $100K, $1M, $1K a wk for life and etc, and during that time millions of tickets were sold locally and as far as I know there have only been two winners locally.

If I buy a scratch-off, it's one that offer a top prize of $1500 or less because there a better chance that almost every town will get at least one roll of tickets with that top prize.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

alotteryplayer's avatar - Lottery-004.jpg
      USA
      United States
      Member #63324
      July 25, 2008
      2 Posts
      Posted: August 2, 2008, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

There's always the chance that you may win the next time you play! :)

What are the chances of you looking at my profile?

I bet it ranges from 1:1 to 1:10!

Lottery Winners having a party! :)

Kidding, probably closer to 1:100! :)

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1953 Posts
        Posted: August 2, 2008, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

The first scratcher I bought was $5. I won $100. I have also bought a $1 ticket and won $46.

Gonna win.Big Smile

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
          mn
          United States
          Member #59040
          March 4, 2008
          276 Posts
          Posted: August 2, 2008, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

I don't play scratchers expecting to win big because a big winner has to be at least on the roll of tickets you're playing and odds are a roll with a big winner isn't even in the town where you're playing and no matter how much you spend you're not going to win a big prize.

Over the last 10 years my state had many scratch-off games that had big prizes such as $100K, $1M, $1K a wk for life and etc, and during that time millions of tickets were sold locally and as far as I know there have only been two winners locally.

If I buy a scratch-off, it's one that offer a top prize of $1500 or less because there a better chance that almost every town will get at least one roll of tickets with that top prize.

Thank you, you RJOH are the reason I don't play scratch offs; as I have stated before I didnt really play lotto until early this year and even before I bought tickets I read these forums, especially yours. Your perspective on scratch offs really changed my perspective. I wouldve bought I kinds of tickets if I didnt read these posts, but I obviously read them. Ive never thought about the winner in the rolls of tickets and the chance it might not even be there so I don't even bother, and for that I thank you.

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
          "The same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world."

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23267 Posts
            Posted: August 2, 2008, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Instant ("Scratch-Off") Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

Lotto*Love's avatar - lips
              Washington *state*
              United States
              Member #62009
              June 14, 2008
              192 Posts
              Posted: August 2, 2008, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

The first scratcher I bought was $5. I won $100. I have also bought a $1 ticket and won $46.

Ya, I can only hope for the big win scratch ticket.  I buy the ones that have the most first prize's left just because of the chance....but I never think my dinky town would have one, BUT I guess I never know.  When I meant wins, I should of said like your wins.  I would of been over the moon to win $100 or $46.  At least I'd have some excitement lol.  "Ok so I spent $1 on this ticket and I guess I have to match my number 13 to win prize shown.......1, no........27, no........15, no.........18, no........whats this?!  whats this!!?? A 13??!! Oh my gosh I won something!!! What'd I win?! What'd I win!!???......................................................oh..my $1 back. Hahahahahaha! I bet I'd get all vaclemped if I won even $20 on a $1 scratcher................*sniffle sniffle*

Talk amongst yourselves...........Crying

Surrender You can run, but you can't hide mighty Jackpot...surrender to me at once!

MysteryMan424's avatar - batman22
                Pelham NY
                United States
                Member #60411
                April 16, 2008
                169 Posts
                Posted: August 3, 2008, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

Here in New York one cant walk ten feet without happening upon a lottery retailer. One of the pre-requistes of obtaining an online lottery terminal is that you must be set up in the sale of scratch off tickets first. Can you see how lucrative those things are?. The purchaser has no control of its outcome. Say you buy a twenty dollar scratch off from the corner store-in a 5 block radius there are ten other stores with rolls of the same scratchers- not to mention the remaining retailers state wide. It would be wiser to spend the twenty on the three digit or four digit game where one can use drawing trends or probability to CHOOSE what one thinks the result will be.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #56506
                  November 21, 2007
                  6537 Posts
                  Posted: August 5, 2008, 1:58 am - IP Logged

That is a nice win to get, especially when buying ones first scratch-off ticket.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."