Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 2:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What am I missing here?

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Texas
United States
Member #58739
February 24, 2008
59 Posts
Posted: August 5, 2008, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

So this Indian guy comes in to cash some tickets. My co-workers tell me he has come in a few times under the same circumstances and they also say he owns a convenience store where he sells lottery too.

Anyway, he comes in and wants to cash 9 pick 3 tickets that have won $500 each.

from texas night drawing 8/2  - 5 5 8

that's $4500. BS

they were COMBO plays too by the way, $3.00 each. Perhaps just a lucky guess? Maybe he was playing those numbers for awhile?

Gimmie your 2 cents.

I was able to cash all his tickets by the way. $4500 thats a nice chunk of change.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23267 Posts
    Posted: August 5, 2008, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

That's normally the way I play too, except they call it wheeling in NJ.  I think it's the way to go when you like the numbers you're playing.

Stores get a comission for redeeming winning tickets in Texas, right?  So it's not a bad deal for anyone.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: August 6, 2008, 12:33 am - IP Logged

Maybe he is just lucky or good a picking numbers.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8362 Posts
        Posted: August 6, 2008, 12:42 am - IP Logged

He probably cant cash his tickets in his own store because of some sort of vendor lottery relations deal. Not allowed to or doesn't want to get caught doing it. Doesn't want wife to know. Why not ask him next time.

NASHVILLE, TENN
          United States
          Member #33372
          February 20, 2006
          1044 Posts
          Posted: August 6, 2008, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

Here is another possible scenario.

The winners are people who do not wish to draw attention to themselves.  Cashing and signing a winning ticket might draw unwanted scrutiny.  So they sell the winning ticket for 50%, 60%, or 70% of the ticket's value and allow that someone else to collect from the lottory.

My understanding is that this happens in Memphis quite a lot.  Some people make money by buying and then cashing winning tickets.

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
            CT
            United States
            Member #61398
            May 21, 2008
            781 Posts
            Posted: August 6, 2008, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

Possibly, but don't you only have to submit your own information for tickets that you have to claim at the main office (over $600 or so, depending on state)?  i.e., claiming a number of $500 tickets wouldn't require you to say who you are, which would negate having to sell your ticket to someone for less so you don't get noticed.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
              Texas
              United States
              Member #55889
              October 23, 2007
              5603 Posts
              Posted: August 6, 2008, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

Where I buy my tics there is a guy who regularly plays P3 as much as $100 at a time on the same number. He hit a year or two ago for $20,000.

@Todd. Retailers do get a commission in Tx for winning tics, but I don't know if it's only for jackpot games or all games. I'll have to find out.

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
                CT
                United States
                Member #61398
                May 21, 2008
                781 Posts
                Posted: August 6, 2008, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

Here in CT the retailer gets a percentage.  When I hit $300 last week, the clerk told me they received $6.

assaults's avatar - anime10
                  RALEIGH, North Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #63257
                  July 24, 2008
                  353 Posts
                  Posted: August 7, 2008, 1:29 am - IP Logged

Here is another possible scenario.

The winners are people who do not wish to draw attention to themselves.  Cashing and signing a winning ticket might draw unwanted scrutiny.  So they sell the winning ticket for 50%, 60%, or 70% of the ticket's value and allow that someone else to collect from the lottory.

My understanding is that this happens in Memphis quite a lot.  Some people make money by buying and then cashing winning tickets.

Dude, that's totally stupid. In North Carolina and Georgia no one ever actually signs the tickets. I won $5000 once and just cashed them at different stores, no one asked me to fill out the form on the back.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                    Tennessee
                    United States
                    Member #7853
                    October 15, 2004
                    11338 Posts
                    Posted: August 7, 2008, 2:40 am - IP Logged

i hit pick 3 playing one number and bet the numbers up to ten times and sometimes 4 or 5 times to win thousands and what i did was take each ticket to different locations to avoid having to go to the lottery office.when i did hit a pick 4 straight there was no way to avoid that so the first few times i turned them in at the lottery office and suffered dearly at the end of the year because my return was not as much so about the third or fourth time i gave a relative a few hundred bucks to cash my pick 4 winner in and we were both happy in the end.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                      Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23267 Posts
                      Posted: August 7, 2008, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

Where I buy my tics there is a guy who regularly plays P3 as much as $100 at a time on the same number. He hit a year or two ago for $20,000.

@Todd. Retailers do get a commission in Tx for winning tics, but I don't know if it's only for jackpot games or all games. I'll have to find out.

It would definitely be for all games.  Otherwise they wouldn't redeem winners for the other ones.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                      Help eliminate computerized drawings!