Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 11:43 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Curse of the Lottery

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 8 years ago by psykomo.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Northern Ohio
United States
Member #63551
August 1, 2008
203 Posts
Posted: August 5, 2008, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

Do you all believe such a curse?

I do. I don't believe there is anything necessarily mystical about it; however, it is simply human nature.

Nobody is immune: Jack Whittaker was a successful construction firm owner and operator with a seven-figure net worth before he won the $315M Powerball jackpot way back when.

There's the Metcalf/Merida winners. Both died within a couple years of winning a $65 million jackpot.

The list goes on and on.

It makes one wonder if our lives are worth gambling away for the money.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19903 Posts
    Posted: August 5, 2008, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

Are you saying if we don't gamble, we could live forever without any problems?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8395 Posts
      Posted: August 5, 2008, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

no i don't believe in a cursed lottery. people make their own choices when they win... if they choose to take unorthodox risks or endeavor in immoral behavior then they get what they deserve.

Lots of winners have won and while their lives may have changed because of it they nevertheless continued to live without disastrous effects.

Everybody has to die sometime but nobody has to squander the money just because they won. That's their proactive.

Lots of people have commented about this similar subject. It's the news that only reports the bad stuff, they usually don't report that a winner is doing fine and all is dandy with them that's not newsworthy.  

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
        NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3501 Posts
        Posted: August 6, 2008, 12:01 am - IP Logged

He may not be saying that, but it appears that he thinks that before winning the lottery (after buying $100 worth of tickets) Jack Whittaker was a wealthy businessman who didn't have a fondness for gambling, or tendencies to do things that might not be a good idea.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: August 6, 2008, 12:18 am - IP Logged

I agree with four4me. The lottery isn't cursed. Bad things can happen to lottery winners just like bad things happen to people who haven't won the lottery.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8395 Posts
            Posted: August 6, 2008, 12:26 am - IP Logged

He may not be saying that, but it appears that he thinks that before winning the lottery (after buying $100 worth of tickets) Jack Whittaker was a wealthy businessman who didn't have a fondness for gambling, or tendencies to do things that might not be a good idea.

Jack went off the deep end when his pastors refused to take his money stating that they didn't want the devils money. He offered both churches money they flatly refused. He became irate and soon  afterwords started his long trip down the drain. Being the man he was he couldn't accept that his clergy didn't need him or his money and was well shunned by most of the congregation. At one point it was stated that his wife wouldn't even make him a cup of coffee.

It's not like he couldn't afford a maid or anything his own family felt the pressure of winning so much money. Jack could have did what any self respecting person would have and up rooted himself from this small town and lived differently. Instead he went down the path of destruction.  

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
              time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
              Member #13130
              March 30, 2005
              2171 Posts
              Posted: August 6, 2008, 1:15 am - IP Logged

The only cursing involved is what the winner does Cussing Face after finding out that everything they or relatives do will now be used as filler in the tabloids that call themselves 'news' papers. Dead

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                Dump Water Florida
                United States
                Member #380
                June 5, 2002
                3114 Posts
                Posted: August 6, 2008, 3:00 am - IP Logged

Is the new Batman movie cursed?  Life happens, doesn't matter how much money you suddenly have.   Except to say the more money you have the more interesting and exciting ways you can find to kill yourself by accident.
                BobP

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                  adelaide sa
                  Australia
                  Member #37136
                  April 11, 2006
                  3316 Posts
                  Posted: August 6, 2008, 4:17 am - IP Logged

what gods do i have to blaspheme, to  be worthy of this particular curse? i agree with above posters about it being only the  sad sack stories getting reported. i mean headlines like

" lotto parents buy daughter; a single mother,  a house:  children off to college "

just dont cut it. it seems winning lotto doesnt increase IQ, or make you any more content. it just means when you mess things up, you get to make a bigger disaster of things.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                    Member #52345
                    May 21, 2007
                    2680 Posts
                    Posted: August 6, 2008, 7:09 am - IP Logged

Skeptical I doubt thars a curse .... although I've wished the few curses on the few that have gotten that lucky in recent years Evil Smile

Bondi Junction
                      Australia
                      Member #57242
                      December 24, 2007
                      1102 Posts
                      Posted: August 7, 2008, 5:37 am - IP Logged

The curse is the publicity, if the people involved did not or were not required to go public, they would not have so many problems. If John or Jane Doe wins or inherits a lump sum and tells all and sundry, he at the very least will be expected to pony-up at every turn. He/She will have charities contacting them to assist in their wonderful projects, and then you have all the crazies. Discretion is the better part of valor!

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                        Member #47420
                        November 4, 2006
                        3930 Posts
                        Posted: August 7, 2008, 9:48 am - IP Logged

I welcome the curse..

Republic of Texas
                          United States
                          Member #57557
                          January 9, 2008
                          1095 Posts
                          Posted: August 7, 2008, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

Do you all believe such a curse?

I do. I don't believe there is anything necessarily mystical about it; however, it is simply human nature.

Nobody is immune: Jack Whittaker was a successful construction firm owner and operator with a seven-figure net worth before he won the $315M Powerball jackpot way back when.

There's the Metcalf/Merida winners. Both died within a couple years of winning a $65 million jackpot.

The list goes on and on.

It makes one wonder if our lives are worth gambling away for the money.

I'd like to take that chance myself, Jim.  People make their own decisions on what they do with their jackpot.  The only curse is poor decision making.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

CowboysFan's avatar - Cowboys
                            Sunny California
                            United States
                            Member #63790
                            August 8, 2008
                            220 Posts
                            Posted: August 8, 2008, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

I would welcome the money just so I can move out of Bakersfield and get back to my hometown of San Diego. GET ME OUT OF THE HEAT!

DC81's avatar - batman39
                              MI
                              United States
                              Member #54830
                              August 31, 2007
                              985 Posts
                              Posted: August 8, 2008, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

Jack's problem wasn't the money, it was how he put himself out there on display and choices he made.. I'm willing to wager he didn't develop his bad habits as a result of winning either. To me he's always come off as one of those character good ol'boy types who love attention. It's like blaming the gun in your hand for killing someone when you picked it up and pulled the trigger. I would love to be "cursed" with winning a jackpot, especially a record breaking one as his was.

Also didn't stop him from playing the lottery since he won another 10K six months ago.

You can't predict random.