Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are retailers allowed??

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Idesire$.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
numbergirly's avatar - 0002009C
Dover, Delaware
United States
Member #26979
November 25, 2005
178 Posts
Posted: August 6, 2008, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

Here in Delaware I've noticed several retailers scratching lottery tickets while behind the counter. I can recall one incident where I had to wait to put my numbers in while the cashier was scratching a few tickets and another time I bought a couple of $10.00 tickets called Wild Tens and when I got home I noticed that someone had scratched the code number at the bottom of the tickets which means they had scanned them to see if they we're winners... needless to say they were not. I contacted the lottery office the next day and they told me to bring the tickets in. They quickly refunded  my $20.00 and informed me that the store was already under investigation along wth several other stores. It's hard enough to win on scratch tickets and some retailers are making it virtualy impossible. I've reported the stores where I've witnessed retailers scratching tickets behind the counter but, nothing was done about it. Please if anyone has any advice as to what I should next I'd greatly appreciate it.   Thank You

numbergirlyUnhappy

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS   Ice Water 

Litebets27's avatar - power
    Maryland
    United States
    Member #10465
    January 14, 2005
    6065 Posts
    Posted: August 6, 2008, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

Believe me. If you reported it and the lottery office stated that the store is under investigation, it's the Feds that will be called in on the investigation if the problem is noted to be a big problem where thousands of dollars are being claimed and not reported legally. The Feds move slowly and meticulously on these matters.

litebets

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

Michigan
      United States
      Member #59293
      March 12, 2008
      121 Posts
      Posted: August 7, 2008, 7:50 am - IP Logged

Good for you for reporting it. clerks are NOT allowed to play scratch offs while working. I work at a gas station and some guy who used to work before me used to scratch tickets just to reveal to see the winning letter/codes, the manager caught him on camera once and fired him.

we;reallwinners's avatar - praying hands.jpg

United States
        Member #12416
        March 13, 2005
        564 Posts
        Posted: August 7, 2008, 7:58 am - IP Logged

Here in Delaware I've noticed several retailers scratching lottery tickets while behind the counter. I can recall one incident where I had to wait to put my numbers in while the cashier was scratching a few tickets and another time I bought a couple of $10.00 tickets called Wild Tens and when I got home I noticed that someone had scratched the code number at the bottom of the tickets which means they had scanned them to see if they we're winners... needless to say they were not. I contacted the lottery office the next day and they told me to bring the tickets in. They quickly refunded  my $20.00 and informed me that the store was already under investigation along wth several other stores. It's hard enough to win on scratch tickets and some retailers are making it virtualy impossible. I've reported the stores where I've witnessed retailers scratching tickets behind the counter but, nothing was done about it. Please if anyone has any advice as to what I should next I'd greatly appreciate it.   Thank You

numbergirlyUnhappy

Wow ..........I never thought about that!

Thanx for the alert........just when you think you've heard it all, huh?

Good work on your part for reporting it!

Hiding Behind Computerbe vewyvewy quiet, WewHuntingNumbers

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: August 7, 2008, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

numbergirlyUnhappy

I agree, good job on reporting the store. I don't think there is anything else you can do. Since you already reported that place and they are already under investigation, I would just avoid going to that store for lottery tickets. I would also tell your friends and family to avoid that store as well.

However, if you really want to get things going faster, maybe you could go to you local news station and tell them what happened. Who knows maybe they would investigate.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

new bern,nc
            United States
            Member #53366
            July 5, 2007
            90 Posts
            Posted: August 7, 2008, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

I think all the stores are creating with those scratch- off, why I say that is because I brought a bingo card and the number at the bottom was number 28, and it was the last card of 99.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
              PA
              United States
              Member #22983
              October 6, 2005
              2226 Posts
              Posted: August 7, 2008, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

In PA there are symbols spread around randomly, and you can no longer tell if it is a winner by scratchng the bottom off.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                Yinzer Country, PA
                United States
                Member #4067
                March 18, 2004
                2741 Posts
                Posted: August 9, 2008, 1:56 am - IP Logged

Although this system makes it harder for clerks to do things like this, the old system was better.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

numbergirly's avatar - 0002009C
                  Dover, Delaware
                  United States
                  Member #26979
                  November 25, 2005
                  178 Posts
                  Posted: August 10, 2008, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

numbergirlyUnhappy

Thanks everyone for your advice...It was truly nice of you to respond to my post. Just make sure to always check the bottom of your scratch ticket before walking out the door. I was told from the lottery office that if I see this again to call the police before leaving the store. GOOD LUCK AND HOPE YOU WIN BIGGroup Hug

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS   Ice Water 

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8360 Posts
                    Posted: August 10, 2008, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

Don't pay for any ticket that has been scratched had the code area scratched or any other part of the ticket missing the gel coating. Tell the store owner or manager if they are damaged in any way.

Don't go over board on this i have seen tickets where someones finger scratched the ticket slightly while they were tearing it off the book. And am not to concerned about that. But if it is scratched on the code area i would never pay for it.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                      DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                      Yinzer Country, PA
                      United States
                      Member #4067
                      March 18, 2004
                      2741 Posts
                      Posted: August 14, 2008, 1:20 am - IP Logged

The best way to not have to worry about something like this is, provided your state offers these, buy instant tickets from the vending machine.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Idesire$'s avatar - Lottery-025.jpg
                        Ellenwood,Georgia
                        United States
                        Member #60512
                        April 21, 2008
                        471 Posts
                        Posted: August 29, 2008, 11:49 am - IP Logged

I have notice the same hear in Ga. That's why I say get them from the vending lottery Machines