Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 9:19 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How are payments invested?

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 8 years ago by DC81.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
claymore's avatar - basket
College Station, Texas
United States
Member #61680
May 31, 2008
13 Posts
Posted: August 12, 2008, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

Now before everyone starts throwing stones at me, I did use the search function...however, I admit it was a lack-luster attempt. I also did a quick scan of the MM Website, but my college student brain refuses to absorb anything that does not begin with "cliffnote."

What I would like to know is:

If one purchases a Mega Millions ticket, hits the jackpot, and chooses to take 26 annual payments, how is the remaining principal invested?

Is there a guaranteed rate of return? What is it? Where would one find this information?

Many, many thanks in advance.

claymore

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7310 Posts
    Posted: August 12, 2008, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

From the Ohio Lottery site:

"Upon claiming the Mega Millions jackpot, the prize winner is given the option to receive the prize winnings in a single cash payment. The gross cash option will represent the sum of the first annuity installment plus the net proceeds from the sale of the government securities originally purchased to fund the annuity prize. Government securities are susceptible to financial market conditions; therefore the amount that is actually realized may vary from the amount originally invested, especially with the passage of time. As a result, the risk of loss rests with the prize winner."

College Station, Texas
      United States
      Member #61680
      May 31, 2008
      13 Posts
      Posted: August 12, 2008, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

That information is similar to what I have found.

So there are no guarantees...

(>_<)

Cash option always then, lol.

Thanks.

claymore

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6537 Posts
        Posted: August 13, 2008, 12:55 am - IP Logged

I would always choose cash. Who knows how the government will be 3, 5, or 10 + years down the road.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
          A long and winding road
          United States
          Member #17084
          June 10, 2005
          4526 Posts
          Posted: August 13, 2008, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

one amount goes into Uncle sams right pocket and one amount goes into his left pocket.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: August 14, 2008, 12:05 am - IP Logged

Not true, but I don't want to get into another argument.  They are talking about the initial amount to make the lump sum payment, meaning that if they advertise $100 million, the cash option might vary.  Once annual payments are chosen, you have a structured settlement and you will get the same check every year. 

People always choose to read things the way they want to, whether or not they understand the verbage.  I hope you are not a financial planner or investment counselor, since you would be facing a lot of lawsuits by giving incorrect advice.  Yes, I would take the cash option anyway, but the quoted paragraph specifically talks about when someone chooses the cash option and says nothing about annual payments.  Because market conditions change all the time, the amount invested to reach the advertised jackpot might yield a lower lump sum payment.   

I am sure you can call any state lottery and get the same answer.  The lottery does not pay winners a variable annuity.  It is a fixed annuity, which is a stream of income over a certain number of years in regular payments.  Powerball pays a graduated annuity which increases over 30 years.  In any case, the total payments must add up to the annuity contract. 

If you choose the cash option, you get the cash the Lottery would have invested over annuity period to pay the advertised prize amount.  That is all that paragraph is telling you which is that, since that interest rate will vary, your cash amount isn't set in stone.  That is why it is called an "estimated cash option."

Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: August 14, 2008, 12:33 am - IP Logged

I would always choose cash. Who knows how the government will be 3, 5, or 10 + years down the road.

True, I agree.  However, what if the law changes and lottery prizes are no longer subject to federal tax or we no longer have any income tax?  Then you would benefit over time. 

Scary, FYI when the entire banking system collapsed, the people who lost all their money had it in savings banks.  You've probably read about Babe Ruth and how he handed money out to people, right?  He had invested in annuities to provide a lifetime of payments for his family and was not hurt by the market crash. 

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8361 Posts
                Posted: August 14, 2008, 12:38 am - IP Logged

I heard somewhere that the lottery invests the annuity owed to a person that takes the annuity and thats how they make additional money off of your win. And are able to pay you the interest your annuity earned.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: August 14, 2008, 12:53 am - IP Logged

I heard somewhere that the lottery invests the annuity owed to a person that takes the annuity and thats how they make additional money off of your win. And are able to pay you the interest your annuity earned.

Anytime you get annuity payments, that's really all you are getting.  A 30 year annuity to me is a lousy deal.  I remember when the matrix changed in FL for the Lotto.  That was before the cash option and the payments were over 20 years.  So $1 million was $50,000 a year or 5%.  People weren't happy and the Lottery announced that the reason the payments changed from 20 to 30 years was to give the winner more money.  I even remember the example they gave which was that a $6 million prize would be $240,000 a year for 30 years and yield $7.2M.  (lower interest, but a higher total over 30 years)  I don't know anyone who has won a jackpot in Florida, so I can't say for sure, but I don't think that's true.  I believe they just divide the jackpot by 30.   You can do a lot better. 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10351 Posts
                    Posted: August 14, 2008, 2:53 am - IP Logged

A while back we had a thread about this and someone pointed out that the advertised jackpot doesn't even actually exist.

In other words, let's say PB or MM has a jackpot of $100,000,000 for an upcoming drawing. There is no $100 million. That amount is based on the winner taking an annuity over a drawn out period of years.

That's why the cash value for the same jackpot is 50% or less.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

DC81's avatar - batman39
                      MI
                      United States
                      Member #54830
                      August 31, 2007
                      985 Posts
                      Posted: August 14, 2008, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

Mega Millions is closer to 39-40% less than the jackpot at this point though that's probably because their annuity pays out over  I think, five less years than Powerball. For example right now the advertised jackpot at 70 million has a cash option of 42.5 million which is 60.7% of the annuity.

You can't predict random.

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: August 14, 2008, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

Mega Millions is closer to 39-40% less than the jackpot at this point though that's probably because their annuity pays out over  I think, five less years than Powerball. For example right now the advertised jackpot at 70 million has a cash option of 42.5 million which is 60.7% of the annuity.

That's what I was saying regarding how money is invested.  A 20 year annuity has to have a higher interest rate to reach the same jackpot as a 30 year annuity.   MM is 26 years, so it's somewhere in the middle.  PB cash option is usually a little less than 50% and MM is usually around 60%.  I know I've said this before when people have asked why the cash option for MM is higher than PB when the jackpots are similar.  It's all based on what initial investment is required to payout the jackpot after XX years.  That is what the paragraph Stack quoted was saying.  If annuity rates are on the rise, then waiting the full 60 days after the drawing might be beneficial.  If they are dropping, then the cash option might be lower than estimated 2 months earlier.  It has nothing to do with losing money or getting a smaller check over time if you select 26 year annual payments.  Here it is again.

"Upon claiming the Mega Millions jackpot, the prize winner is given the option to receive the prize winnings in a single cash payment. The gross cash option will represent the sum of the first annuity installment plus the net proceeds from the sale of the government securities originally purchased to fund the annuity prize. Government securities are susceptible to financial market conditions; therefore the amount that is actually realized may vary from the amount originally invested,  In other words, the money is being invested to fund the prize for a particular game.  Depending when you claim your prize, market conditions can change. 

especially with the passage of time. As a result, the risk of loss rests with the prize winner." 

It is merely a disclaimer saying that if they estimate a cash value of 61% and it turns out to be 58%, they are not responsible for paying you the difference.  They are in no way saying if you take the 26 annual payments the jackpot you won might lose value over the years.  Once you are given a contract for a guaranteed yield, the total payments will add up to that face value at maturity.

College Station, Texas
                          United States
                          Member #61680
                          May 31, 2008
                          13 Posts
                          Posted: August 14, 2008, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

"Once you are given a contract for a guaranteed yield, the total payments will add up to that face value at maturity."

Ohhhh, okay.

That's exactly what I wanted to know. I wasn't sure if someone could end up with LESS then what they understood they were getting at the time of choosing the annuity over cash.

Thanks!

claymore

Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: August 15, 2008, 4:36 am - IP Logged

"Once you are given a contract for a guaranteed yield, the total payments will add up to that face value at maturity."

Ohhhh, okay.

That's exactly what I wanted to know. I wasn't sure if someone could end up with LESS then what they understood they were getting at the time of choosing the annuity over cash.

Thanks!

claymore

For some people, taking annual payments makes sense.  For others it doesn't.   You can usually make more money over the 20 or 30 years by investing wisely.   That said, it's comforting to know you'll be getting another check soon no matter how badly you mess up that year.

People are always concerned about the payments stopping.  I would have the same concern, but AFAIK no state lottery has ever folded.  If I'm wrong, then I'd appreciate a comment from someone who has this knowledge.  Regarding government securities, they've always been considered to be a safe & conservative investment.  I guess it depends on how much confidence you have in our government & its stability.  All investments have risks.  (getting out of bed is a risk)   

The one thing that will cause the value of the annual payments to decrease over time is inflation.   The money you receive in 20 years won't buy nearly as much as it does today. 

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                              Magnolia, Delaware
                              United States
                              Member #18795
                              July 20, 2005
                              789 Posts
                              Posted: August 15, 2008, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

The one thing that will cause the value of the annual payments to decrease over time is inflation. The money you receive in 20 years won't buy nearly as much as it does today.

That statement alone is the prime reason as to why you're NOT to take an annuity!!! It just doesn't add up to take an annuity, because each year the dollar loses it's buying power!!!!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up