Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Pennsylvania Lottery retailer machines

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 8 years ago by JimmySand9.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #63712
August 5, 2008
19 Posts
Posted: August 12, 2008, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

Good evening. I was wondering will the Pennsylvania Lottery get new lottery machines for the retailers anytime soon?

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
    A long and winding road
    United States
    Member #17084
    June 10, 2005
    4525 Posts
    Posted: August 12, 2008, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

Since there has been a change over in contract, its most likely that new machines will be installed to conform with the contractors software. If memory serves correctly its the same company that carries the MD lottery . One of the pros is they have self check ticket modules, the negative side-no self serve machines so you can pick your own numbers( edit:you'll still be able to use pick pay slips at retailers) ...but who knows with technology speeding up maybe we'll get lucky !

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
      Yinzer Country, PA
      United States
      Member #4067
      March 18, 2004
      2741 Posts
      Posted: August 12, 2008, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

I like the idea of getting rid of the self-serve machines.  I've noticed quite a few retailers have switched over to the self-serve machines, and I've found it very hard to get paid out at a retailer.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
        A long and winding road
        United States
        Member #17084
        June 10, 2005
        4525 Posts
        Posted: August 13, 2008, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

I like the idea of getting rid of the self-serve machines.  I've noticed quite a few retailers have switched over to the self-serve machines, and I've found it very hard to get paid out at a retailer.

Doc, I do see your view point on pay outs for the automated system. That is one of the negatives for such machines.

I am not a fan of them yet so very often if I am in a rush and the machine is available I use them. Beats standing behind a person who has 100 numbers that they must play in various orders and then decides to cash in some crinkled tickets that have to be manually entered. Trust me, I am NOT patient with players that seem to think they OWN the machine and can take all day.

The part that I do love is: 1: Alot of clerks at convenience stores must now use there OWN money to play the automated machines. No more scratching tickets and replenishing it after they hit. 2: No more employees calling each other to play that BIG number and paying back later that day when they come into work. 3: The machines place the buyer in full accountability of the numbers they pick! Thereby no *mistakes* in which a cashier would have to buy back.  The bad side- tickets get jamed and you dont know if the instant tickets in the machines will get cut off midway thru the dispenser.

Scientific games won the contract and we need to bare with them during this transistion for our lottery system. And yes, they do control (thru the software) how quickpicks are relayed (distributed) to the public- The State Revenue only cares about the money part....

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
          Yinzer Country, PA
          United States
          Member #4067
          March 18, 2004
          2741 Posts
          Posted: August 13, 2008, 10:16 pm - IP Logged

I look at the way the self-serve machines pay out tickets, and I look at it as the lottery trying to encourage people to gamble compulsively, especially with big winners.  They really should be able to pay out in cash.

Another thing I hate about self-serve machines in Pennsylvania is that the tickets look different when printed from a self-serve machine, and I've had people refuse to cash in a ticket, thinking that it was fake.

I can understand the convenience, but it can be an inconvenience at the same time.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

United States
            Member #1826
            July 11, 2003
            2645 Posts
            Posted: August 14, 2008, 2:03 am - IP Logged

I look at the way the self-serve machines pay out tickets, and I look at it as the lottery trying to encourage people to gamble compulsively, especially with big winners.  They really should be able to pay out in cash.

Another thing I hate about self-serve machines in Pennsylvania is that the tickets look different when printed from a self-serve machine, and I've had people refuse to cash in a ticket, thinking that it was fake.

I can understand the convenience, but it can be an inconvenience at the same time.

I'm not really sure that they'll be getting rid of self-serve machines, as they are made by Scientific Games, the same company who's supplying the new terminals, and my guess would be that the self-serve machine will be compatible with the new terminals.

(insert signature here)