Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:13 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Quick Picks

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 8 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
angel08's avatar - anglewings
South Carolina
United States
Member #63800
August 8, 2008
11 Posts
Posted: August 20, 2008, 4:44 am - IP Logged

I play quick picks almost every draw for Powerball. For most winners, quick picks have led to winning jackpots, but the most I've won is $7. I decided to check out all the quick picks I've purchased since Jan of this yr and the winning numbers of that day. I understand why there is a petition to eliminate quick picks!! There is no way Im going to win the lottery using the quick pick option! Cussing Face It seems to me that the same combo of losing numbers are being picked that don't even come close to winning. I don't know about anyone else, but I just think quick picks aren't an easy way to win. I think it's set up to give us the worst possible quick picks to generate more $. Anyone feel the same or have a better prospective of quick picks? I'd love to hear a good logical reason why so many people buy losing quick picks.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
    Wisconsin
    United States
    Member #1303
    March 27, 2003
    1508 Posts
    Posted: August 20, 2008, 7:53 am - IP Logged

I play quick picks almost every draw for Powerball. For most winners, quick picks have led to winning jackpots, but the most I've won is $7. I decided to check out all the quick picks I've purchased since Jan of this yr and the winning numbers of that day. I understand why there is a petition to eliminate quick picks!! There is no way Im going to win the lottery using the quick pick option! Cussing Face It seems to me that the same combo of losing numbers are being picked that don't even come close to winning. I don't know about anyone else, but I just think quick picks aren't an easy way to win. I think it's set up to give us the worst possible quick picks to generate more $. Anyone feel the same or have a better prospective of quick picks? I'd love to hear a good logical reason why so many people buy losing quick picks.

The reason so many people buy "losing" qps is that there are approximately 142 million losing combinations each drawing.  (odds of a winning combination are something like 142 million to 1 )

The only thing I've ever hit with in PB are qps or just my own random numbers. As far as I'm concerned, its a waste of time trying to figure out the numbers that will fall unless you are looking to wheel and spend a lot of money on a drawing.  And as one of the recent winners of PB found out, it only takes one ticket to win.  That's all he bought.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10350 Posts
      Posted: August 20, 2008, 9:53 am - IP Logged

Most people buy losing tickets, but they're not really losers until the numbers have been drawn. Prior to the drawing any ticket is a potential winner.

From the Powerball website FAQ page:

WHICH HAS THE BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING: COMPUTER PICKS OR PLAYER PICKS?

About 70% to 80% of purchases are computer picks. About 70% to80%of winners are computer picks. Perhaps just one of those weirdcoincidences?

I don't know why so many people come to LP complaining about playing the lottery and not having won. It's lottery, you're not suppossed to win. You may get extremely lucky and be one of the very few that do, but to complain about your QP / birthdays / anniversary / square rooting your weight, adding the sq root to your height, and multiplying by Pi not producing any jackpot winners is ridiculous.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6537 Posts
        Posted: August 20, 2008, 11:36 am - IP Logged

I don't recall there being a petition to eliminate quick picks. I know there was a petition to stop computerized drawings.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19825 Posts
          Posted: August 20, 2008, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

Most people buy losing tickets, but they're not really losers until the numbers have been drawn. Prior to the drawing any ticket is a potential winner.

From the Powerball website FAQ page:

WHICH HAS THE BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING: COMPUTER PICKS OR PLAYER PICKS?

About 70% to 80% of purchases are computer picks. About 70% to80%of winners are computer picks. Perhaps just one of those weirdcoincidences?

I don't know why so many people come to LP complaining about playing the lottery and not having won. It's lottery, you're not suppossed to win. You may get extremely lucky and be one of the very few that do, but to complain about your QP / birthdays / anniversary / square rooting your weight, adding the sq root to your height, and multiplying by Pi not producing any jackpot winners is ridiculous.

If that's true, why is it that I can go up to anyone buying a PB ticket and say "You just wasted your money on a losing ticket" and only be wrong once in 36.6 times?  Prior to the drawing every ticket is a potential loser, only one in 36.6 get lucky and escape that fate.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
            Member #63718
            August 5, 2008
            10 Posts
            Posted: August 20, 2008, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

You think quick picks aren't an EASY way to win powerball? there is no easy way, your supposed to lose just like me and everyone else trying to buck near impossible odds. In my opinion there is no "worst possible quick pick" , it's just 6 random numbers that are just as good as any numbers you might conjure up yourself. I find it kind of silly when people claim to have "systems" to predict the random numbers that will be drawn.  just because a particular number has been drawn 5 weeks in a row it's just as likely to be picked as any other number the following week.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10350 Posts
              Posted: August 20, 2008, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

If that's true, why is it that I can go up to anyone buying a PB ticket and say "You just wasted your money on a losing ticket" and only be wrong once in 36.6 times?  Prior to the drawing every ticket is a potential loser, only one in 36.6 get lucky and escape that fate.

RJOh

Because if you ever encounter that person that did hit a jackpot, to that person, the $ millions they won will offset the number of people you could tell they wasted their money on a ticket for the rest of this lifetime and the next ten or more.

Otherwise no one woulld play, we wouldn't be here on LP, and lotteries wouldn't even exist. But they do and here we are.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19825 Posts
                Posted: August 20, 2008, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

That one person in 36.6 that actually win something ($3-jackpot) doesn't change the fact that 35.6 tickets won nothing even if he wins the jackpot.  Besides, I'm likely to have said that to 146,107,962 PB players before meeting that one jackpot winner.

I've got nothing against playing lotteries, I play and spend $20+/wk on MegaMillions, I'm just trying to keep it real.  I usually win $2-$3 for every $25 I spend.

Evil Looking       

South Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #63800
                  August 8, 2008
                  11 Posts
                  Posted: August 20, 2008, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

FYI, I was just voicing my opinion about quick picks, I wouldn't say I was complaining! Im sure you have voiced your opinion about something as well and you didn't consider it ridiculous. Unless you are one of those people who think that their thoughts and opinions are more important than anyone else's.Big Smile

South Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #63800
                    August 8, 2008
                    11 Posts
                    Posted: August 20, 2008, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

To be honest, when I first started playing PB, I thought that QPs were an easy way to win, but after a while of playing, I realized that there is no easy way! I don't use any system bc I don't believe they work. I usually just play QPs and every now and then I pick my numbers.

South Carolina
                      United States
                      Member #63800
                      August 8, 2008
                      11 Posts
                      Posted: August 20, 2008, 4:46 pm - IP Logged

I understand what you're saying and I totally agree with you. I like to play the lottery as well or else I wouldn't be here, but at the same time it would be nice to see more people win for all the money that is being spent.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                        Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #48725
                        January 7, 2007
                        1953 Posts
                        Posted: August 20, 2008, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

That's just the way this particular game was designed. It's just a big shot in the dark.

Gonna win.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19825 Posts
                          Posted: August 20, 2008, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

That's just the way this particular game was designed. It's just a big shot in the dark.

I Agree! When ever you can buy a chance to win millions of dollars for $1, a lot of people are going to lose their dollars.  I happen to be one of those players who is willing to gamble $10-$20 a drawing trying to beat the odds, so far I'm losing.

Evil Looking       

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #55889
                            October 23, 2007
                            5593 Posts
                            Posted: August 20, 2008, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

I usually play my own numbers but I pick them different ways. I almost never do QP from the lottery terminal. I'll pick my numbers from an excel file sometimes, and other times I'll use LP's RNG. That way I know I still can control the sequence of numbers and not get any odd combinations. It's still longggggggg odds. I have found that over a year I win between 9 and 11 percent of what I play.

So while I play to win, I also look at it as my entertainment or hobby.

Lotto*Love's avatar - lips
                              Washington *state*
                              United States
                              Member #62009
                              June 14, 2008
                              192 Posts
                              Posted: August 20, 2008, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

This is just my experience, and my opinion on the subject....

Yes, I get frusterated.  But it goes both ways.  When I buy qp's and never even win my $2.00 back draw after draw after draw, I automatically think I'm being scr3w3d lol so I agree with myself (ya I'm nuts) that I will pick my own numbers.  "They will not give me a losing combo again!"  Like its some kind of conspiracy..."They know the winner will be in Georgia..or NY..or here or there because thats where they sent the damn winning combo!"  BUT!  Thats not how it goes.  The numbers are all random, and I cannot predict what will drop on drawing night.

When I pick my own numbers, yes I do the "just came to me" way...the "this is my age, my daughters age, my lucky number" thing and so on and so on.  The numbers can be close together...or they can come up as 1 being the first number and all other numbers being 39 and higher.  Numbers I would not of thought of I don't think. Theres also the winning combo's that make you scratch your head. 13,14,15,39,40--40.  Yuck! You would say if you got this qp...but it could make you a winner.

Lots of other people lose right along side of me, no matter what county, town, state.  And they, along with me are cussing up a storm and stomping on their ticket.  Do I want to win? HE!! YES!  But to make myself feel better, I have chosen to not think I'm going to be a winner someday because its a total let down time after time after time....but started thinking it would be nice to be a winner.  I lay my money down  knowing I probably will most likely be handed a worthless losing ticket, but its  MY own chance to possibly winning.  Less stress and aggravation for me.  I spend only what I can afford...which lately has only been about $2 for MM, and hope for the best.

I, as we speak, have a ton of lottery tickets (LOSERS lol) in front of me.  It's been a bad couple months.  I think I've won maybe $10 total from scratch tickets only.  Though I spent more.  And for MM or state Lotto...Nothing.......not even my $ back.  Maybe it will change again, ya just never know.

Can't win if you don't play! So........I'll be handing over my dollar...........................................again. Crazy

Surrender You can run, but you can't hide mighty Jackpot...surrender to me at once!