Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 9:19 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Off Topic..Computer Help Needed!!

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 8 years ago by BaristaExpress.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
mississippi
United States
Member #34478
March 3, 2006
5903 Posts
Posted: August 23, 2008, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

Todd I am sorry I am posting this in a regular forum but I wasnt for sure if I posted this in my Blog if anyone would read it..hahaha

The trouble I am having is this..I am running windows XP ok..you know at the bottom of the screen where it says you have automatic updates ready to to up date your computer click here?...

Well the past couple of times I clicked on it to D/L the updates when they finish it says RESTART YOU COMPUTER..but when I restart my computer it goes to a SOLID BLACK SCREEN that says we are sorry that windows failed to launch and there is  COUNTER COUNTING DOWN that say windows will restart in like 20 seconds but it still will not LAUNCH windows..

I have to actually do a system restore to a previous day  just to be able to use my computer ..

QUESTION?..Do you have to except those updates that come in..?

QUESTION? Can you turn the updates off altogether or is that a bad idea?

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
    Member #14
    November 9, 2001
    31349 Posts
    Posted: August 23, 2008, 1:30 pm - IP Logged

i have xp - you don't have to accept updates.  turn automatic updates off.

love to nibble those micey feet.

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
      mississippi
      United States
      Member #34478
      March 3, 2006
      5903 Posts
      Posted: August 23, 2008, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Em...I appreciate it...

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
        Member #14
        November 9, 2001
        31349 Posts
        Posted: August 23, 2008, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

I don't accept all updates.  Let me know if it helps.

love to nibble those micey feet.

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8361 Posts
          Posted: August 23, 2008, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

I'm not  a computer expert by no means but updates are important for the health of your PC. the updates could be security patches and because you have virus protection, spam blockers etc. that could be running the update fails.

Before you download updates you should close all open programs.

If your updates don't successfully download there are issues with your PC.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #22395
            September 24, 2005
            1583 Posts
            Posted: August 23, 2008, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

Was the update SP3 (service pack 3)?

There have been a number of misc. problems reported after people installed it.  Not saying that it definitely caused your problem, just avoid it for now, if it is not installed already. 

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
              Charlotte NC
              United States
              Member #17406
              June 18, 2005
              4053 Posts
              Posted: August 23, 2008, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

There have been a number of misc. problems reported after people installed it.  Not saying that it definitely caused your problem, just avoid it for now, if it is not installed already. 

Have you tried starting windows in Safe Mode and restoring to a previous point.  Always keep restore point activated.

takeemtothebank

mistyblue's avatar - itsallgood
                GA
                United States
                Member #59962
                April 1, 2008
                1610 Posts
                Posted: August 23, 2008, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

I have my automatic updates turned off. Every month or so I manual update my computer so that way I choose the updates I want to install. You can also choose in your Security Center (Notify me but don't automatically download or install them) that way you get information on the updates and you choose which you prefer to install. Most of the updates are very important for the security of your cumpter. Hope this helps.

I'm through following my dreams! I'm going to ask them where they are going and hook up with them later.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19826 Posts
                  Posted: August 23, 2008, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

That advice comes too late for me.  SP3 showed up two days ago and I knew it was a big deal when I have to reconfirm my users agreement.  So far no problems but I haven't purchased an updated version of my virus protecting software either.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
                    CT
                    United States
                    Member #61398
                    May 21, 2008
                    781 Posts
                    Posted: August 23, 2008, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

I have auto updates turned off on my computer, and haven't updated in 6-7 months.  The computer is on the way out and will be replaced here shortly anyway.  As long as you don't download random things off the internet, or visit sites you don't know are legit, you should be ok without the latest and greatest updates.

mistyblue's avatar - itsallgood
                      GA
                      United States
                      Member #59962
                      April 1, 2008
                      1610 Posts
                      Posted: August 23, 2008, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

If you can't fix the problem and you are tired of restoring your computer another option is reformatting your computer but let that be your last option.

I'm through following my dreams! I'm going to ask them where they are going and hook up with them later.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #22395
                        September 24, 2005
                        1583 Posts
                        Posted: August 23, 2008, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

That advice comes too late for me.  SP3 showed up two days ago and I knew it was a big deal when I have to reconfirm my users agreement.  So far no problems but I haven't purchased an updated version of my virus protecting software either.

Click: Google 
                        That search is much better than what I could list here.
                        Sorry it is 2 days late - next time let's hope lotterybraker posts his problem sooner!
                        Big Smile

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: August 23, 2008, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

You can always set Automatic Updates (or stop them) by clicking on START and then CONTROL PANEL and then AUTOMATIC UPDATES.  You can also find it by clicking on SYSTEM.

I download every update and haven't had any problems, but I read this problem only affects certain desktops.  As TC wrote, it's best to use Google and read about the problems other users have experienced.  When my AVG 8.0 sent me a message about a bin file missing, I googled the words & saw that everyone was getting it, so I waited until the next morning and it was fixed.  Same with browser problems.  If there is a universal problem, chances are someone has blogged about it! 

Edit:  Just a suggestion.  I don't have a technical background, but one thing I've found to be handy is the help menu.  If you click on START and HELP and SUPPORT and type a key word in the index box, you will usually get the answer you're looking for.  Example, once I had a senior moment & forgot where the defrag was and just clicked on the help & support guide, typed the word defragment and got the answer, even a link to the defragmenter.  I recently got a call from a friend asking me "how do I..."  I said just ask the same exact thing in your help menu or Google search box.  She typed the words and got several links.  (BTW, the defragmenter is in Programs/Accessories/System Tools)

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7310 Posts
                            Posted: August 23, 2008, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

Todd I am sorry I am posting this in a regular forum but I wasnt for sure if I posted this in my Blog if anyone would read it..hahaha

The trouble I am having is this..I am running windows XP ok..you know at the bottom of the screen where it says you have automatic updates ready to to up date your computer click here?...

Well the past couple of times I clicked on it to D/L the updates when they finish it says RESTART YOU COMPUTER..but when I restart my computer it goes to a SOLID BLACK SCREEN that says we are sorry that windows failed to launch and there is  COUNTER COUNTING DOWN that say windows will restart in like 20 seconds but it still will not LAUNCH windows..

I have to actually do a system restore to a previous day  just to be able to use my computer ..

QUESTION?..Do you have to except those updates that come in..?

QUESTION? Can you turn the updates off altogether or is that a bad idea?

I have "automatic updates" on my control panel and it's under "windows security" too. The recommended installation setting is everyday at a time you can chose and if your computer is turned off at that time, it will begin the next time you turn it on. You can have them automatically downloaded but choose when to install them, choose to be notified when the downloads are available, or choose to turn off the automatic updates.

I usually get the annoying restart countdown after the update has been installed and either close what I'm doing and click restart or click "restart later". I've never had the same solid black screen but had a pop up window telling me to restart right after starting. The first time I clicked, it reappeared again so I closed it and it affected nothing.

"Can you turn the updates off altogether or is that a bad idea?"

It says "Your computer will be more vulnerable unless you install updates regularly" so choosing "notify me but don't automatically download or install them" is the safer option.

myzeus's avatar - Apollo
                              Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #59677
                              March 24, 2008
                              78 Posts
                              Posted: August 23, 2008, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

sounds like you have a worm or virus. same thing happened to me years ago.

if u have mcafee, go to their website and they have a removal tool and also do a virus scan. check for trojans too.

also, get the yahoo toolbar with anti-spy. run the anti-spy in your browser. it works for me but i also do virus scans too.

usually, nowadays, if i find a trojan, virus or worm, i just go ahead and re-format my hard drive with a fresh install of windows and programs but i only do that as a last resort because re-formatting the hard drive is alot of work for me.

Sandy