Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Question for Todd

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Northern Ohio
United States
Member #63551
August 1, 2008
203 Posts
Posted: September 11, 2008, 12:34 am - IP Logged

I'm not sure if this has been asked before but...

What was your original impetus for starting up this board? Was it a big win coupled with your established experience webhosting? Or something else?

I just wanted to throw this out, to give some of us n00bs the E! Hollywood True story about the origins of this website.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23269 Posts
    Posted: September 11, 2008, 10:46 am - IP Logged

I'm not sure if this has been asked before but...

What was your original impetus for starting up this board? Was it a big win coupled with your established experience webhosting? Or something else?

I just wanted to throw this out, to give some of us n00bs the E! Hollywood True story about the origins of this website.

I wish! Big Smile

No, I have never had a big lottery win at all, so it has been all my personal time and money that have gone into the creation, growth, and constant maintenance of this site.  It is a labor of love.  Nothing on this site has come easy or without a high personal price.

I started it because I have always enjoyed the lottery.  One day in 1999 I was searching for information on the Web about a lottery game (The Big Game, if you are wondering), and found that there was an utter lack of useful information, and no place of the quality I was looking for that could provide solid lottery information.

So by late 1999 I had created my first Web site, called BigGameLottery.com, which was dedicated to The Big Game, mostly the lottery results and some stats and rudimentary search abilities.  By the end of that year I also created the most primitive form of a Lottery Post message board, but did not launch it yet.

In May 2000, I added a real home page to BigGameLottery.com, including a big news section, and gave it a real launch, treating it as the official launch.  The launch was timed to the end of a huge jackpot run that was happening at the time, in which tons of people found the site simply because the name of my site matched the game's name better than the official site did.

(If you can believe it, the name of the official Big Game site was theofficialbiggame.com — dreadfully awful!)

Also in May 2000 (although "officially" in June of 2000) I launched Lottery Post as an extremely simply message board.  My idea, even then, was that someday Lottery Post would be the site where I would focus the majority of my efforts, but at the time it was much easier for me to grow biggamelottery.com, as it had a great built-in audience, and I was getting pretty good at Search Engine Optimization.  

At the time I also came up with with a number of really neat innovations, which are still being copied today.  Jackpot Alerts were one of those innovations, and just about everyone has copied them today.  (Yahoo! named BigGameLottery.com as "Useful Site of the Day" when they found out about my Jackpot Alerts.  Boy did that drive a lot of traffic!)

(A few years later, another big innovation was my Jackpot Analysis page, which has also been shamelessly copied on several wanna-be sites.)

At this point I will refer you to a blog post of mine that highlights the history of Lottery Post's evolution through the years, including screen-captures during each phase of its development.

http://blogs.lotterypost.com/todd/2007/05/the-history-of-lottery-posts-home-page.htm

I have some other blog posts that deal with the technical side of creating Lottery Post on my technology blog located here:

http://blogs.lotterypost.com/speednet

I also have a personal blog page that has several entries about the site, but you'll need to wade through all of my posts about politics and other non-lottery stuff to find them:

http://blogs.lotterypost.com/todd

Finally, I have a pretty extensive interview published on Microsoft's ASP.NET AJAX Showcase (where they highlight major sites that use their AJAX technology):

http://www.asp.net/ajax/showcase/

Please keep in mind that there are some very jealous people on the Internet who start rumors like the one you have obviously heard.

Several are jealous because it is extrememly difficult to accomplish what I have, because of the enormous amount of work, dedication, and technical knowledge it takes.

There are also some angry people.  In the past, some people have tried to use Lottery Post to promote their businesses, and I have had to ban them for spamming the site.  So in their moments of rage and sour grapes, they have posted some very nasty messages directed at me.

I simply ignore these people as background noise, which is my suggestion for you as well.  I let the site speak for itself.

If you would like to know anything else, I'd be happy to address your questions or listen to your feedback.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Surge's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
      Ohio
      United States
      Member #46493
      September 11, 2006
      4173 Posts
      Posted: September 11, 2008, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

Great question Jim!  I've wondered a lot of those same things myself.  A huge thanks goes out to Todd for making LotteryPost what it is.  I can't imagine the time and effort it takes to run such a great website.  I've been here a short two years... today is actually my two year anniversary  :) 

Thanks Todd!

Keep it simple 

AlecWest's avatar - alec
        Vader, Washington
        United States
        Member #29697
        January 5, 2006
        108 Posts
        Posted: September 11, 2008, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

Great post, Todd.  You've done an exemplary job of designing this site ... and it shows.

Anyhoo, while we're pondering "questions" (grin), I'd like to ask one myself.  I've been a member of this forum since January 2006.  And if you review the posts I've made (not many), I think it's clear they've all been posted by a responsible adult and not a spammer.  Yet, every time I attempt to post a link in one of my posts, a screen comes up telling me I can't do that because I'm still a (ahem) "newcomer."  Question - how many years does it take to cross the threshhold from "newcomer" to "regular guy" status?

Regards -- J. Alec West

DC81's avatar - batman39
          MI
          United States
          Member #54830
          August 31, 2007
          985 Posts
          Posted: September 11, 2008, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

When your status rises you're allowed to, but there are multiple factors in how that happens apparently. I just moved up from being a Regular to "Experienced" early this morning with 498 posts, so it can't just be the number of posts you've made since it'd make more sense for that to have happened after my 500th post.

From looking at the FAQ it depends on several factors which Todd won't exactly reveal but here's the FAQ, which you can read.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/62704

You can't predict random.

Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23269 Posts
            Posted: September 11, 2008, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

Great post, Todd.  You've done an exemplary job of designing this site ... and it shows.

Anyhoo, while we're pondering "questions" (grin), I'd like to ask one myself.  I've been a member of this forum since January 2006.  And if you review the posts I've made (not many), I think it's clear they've all been posted by a responsible adult and not a spammer.  Yet, every time I attempt to post a link in one of my posts, a screen comes up telling me I can't do that because I'm still a (ahem) "newcomer."  Question - how many years does it take to cross the threshhold from "newcomer" to "regular guy" status?

Regards -- J. Alec West

Promotions happen when people consistently post.  Infrequent posters may never get promoted.  YOU may not be a spammer, but historically, many people who fit that mold are.

Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23269 Posts
              Posted: September 11, 2008, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

When your status rises you're allowed to, but there are multiple factors in how that happens apparently. I just moved up from being a Regular to "Experienced" early this morning with 498 posts, so it can't just be the number of posts you've made since it'd make more sense for that to have happened after my 500th post.

From looking at the FAQ it depends on several factors which Todd won't exactly reveal but here's the FAQ, which you can read.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/62704

Thank you for including the reference to that help topic!  (Saved me the trouble of looking it up.)  Many topics are covered in the Help forum that would be useful for any Lottery Post member to read.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                Harbinger
                D.C./MD.
                United States
                Member #44103
                July 30, 2006
                5583 Posts
                Posted: September 11, 2008, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

LP in its current evolutionary stage is great!  I want to let people know, that developing a website of this caliber, solo, to say the least, is impressive.  It takes a massive amount of time, knowledge, and patience to create a site like this. 

Typically, a site of this complexity is built by many people at a great cost.

The 10th anniversary is quickly approaching, Todd,  thanks for everything.

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: September 11, 2008, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

LP in its current evolutionary stage is great!  I want to let people know, that developing a website of this caliber, solo, to say the least, is impressive.  It takes a massive amount of time, knowledge, and patience to create a site like this. 

Typically, a site of this complexity is built by many people at a great cost.

The 10th anniversary is quickly approaching, Todd,  thanks for everything.

It's always a golden moment when Jarasan and I agree...lol

Todd is the MAN.....

I'm just surprised that Jarasan all of a sudden believes in evolution.....Sorry....had to throw that in....lol

Big Grin

Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23269 Posts
                    Posted: September 11, 2008, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

Thank you jarasan and pacattack.

bahama mama's avatar - animated sphere.gif
                      Nassau
                      Bahamas
                      Member #48381
                      December 24, 2006
                      855 Posts
                      Posted: September 11, 2008, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Todd for all your hard work.Thumbs Up

Northern Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #63551
                        August 1, 2008
                        203 Posts
                        Posted: September 12, 2008, 1:31 am - IP Logged

Todd, thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Obviously this is a great site and everyone seems to come together well; to that end I'd like to say, great job! It's nice to know the story behind the site, so to speak. Keep up the good work Todd!

Abdi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg
                          Nairobi
                          Kenya
                          Member #64806
                          September 8, 2008
                          161 Posts
                          Posted: September 14, 2008, 6:48 am - IP Logged

Thank you very Much Todd for you r long and exciting article-I was really touched by your story and the lovely comments our member s have left for you!,

Nobody can doubt the potentila inside the Lp.I have only come across 13 days ago and I am addicted to it.I find myself perusing through it -aminimum of 14 hours every day-LP is loving and charming really cool.

Long life Todd....Hope to meet you one day...when I win a jackpot as a result of your hardwork-(LP Platinum membership)....

I am sure I will something big within this year.

Cheers Todd,with your love yours fotever..

Abdi,-in Nairobi Kenya

I Agree!

There are no born heroes or winners........it takes a hammer a chisel,a vision and a will to suffer the blows and be carved into one!..........

Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23269 Posts
                            Posted: September 14, 2008, 8:44 am - IP Logged

Thank you very Much Todd for you r long and exciting article-I was really touched by your story and the lovely comments our member s have left for you!,

Nobody can doubt the potentila inside the Lp.I have only come across 13 days ago and I am addicted to it.I find myself perusing through it -aminimum of 14 hours every day-LP is loving and charming really cool.

Long life Todd....Hope to meet you one day...when I win a jackpot as a result of your hardwork-(LP Platinum membership)....

I am sure I will something big within this year.

Cheers Todd,with your love yours fotever..

Abdi,-in Nairobi Kenya

Thank you Abdi, I'm glad you found us!  Do you play the lottery locally, or do you play online?

L J1's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
                              Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #54181
                              August 8, 2007
                              123 Posts
                              Posted: September 14, 2008, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

Todd You have a wonderful, super great site! For all us to view, think, and post.

Thanks so very much!

I know if I ever Capture a Jackpot Win, and I know I'm going out on a limb here... to some; but

I WILL be getting in touch with you through your site, to donate a portion of my Jackpot Winnings to aid in the future development of your web site "The Lottery Post".

If not for you, the minds of so many members of your site could not pool our thoughs together!

Thanks so much Todd!!

L J1