Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Best State Lottery for Scratchers?

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 8 years ago by kaykar.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #53951
July 28, 2007
1 Posts
Posted: September 13, 2008, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

I am fortunate enough to reside in Massachusetts, a state that "claims" to give a bigger % of lottery money back to players than any other state. I play mostly instant tix and some daily 4-number draws and have done well over the years. Never won huge but have scratched off a few $1000 winners and one $5000 winner (on a $1 dollar ticket!). My GF scratched a $10,000 once (b4 she was with me!) and I know a guy who recently hit for $50,000. How does your state compare to Ma. and is there a place to validate the Ma. claim that they give back fruitfully? 

spin

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
    Member #4121
    March 23, 2004
    817 Posts
    Posted: September 16, 2008, 8:36 am - IP Logged

WTG on your wins.  You are very lucky.

JordanT1021's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
      North Carolina
      United States
      Member #53121
      June 24, 2007
      6498 Posts
      Posted: September 16, 2008, 8:41 am - IP Logged

I live in North Carolina and my vote goes to the Virginia Lottery...

I dislike the North Carolina Scratch offs

Virginia has great tickets and lots of instant games ( other than scratch offs )

Shawn67's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
        Member #45970
        September 1, 2006
        4763 Posts
        Posted: September 17, 2008, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

Sorry I can't tell you where to go, but I can definately tell you which state to avoid: O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A!!

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8359 Posts
          Posted: September 17, 2008, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

Sorry I can't tell you where to go, but I can definately tell you which state to avoid: O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A!!

Most of the sales for the various lotteries are done in scratch off sales so it would figure that there is a higher percentage of winners.

Most every state lottery has a website and they have a winners circle (people who have won) and or press releases. 

Here in Maryland someone almost aways wins on a sizable scratch off every other day. While it doesn't bother me that people win it dose bother me that people continue to purchase tickets for the various scratch off's even though the top tier ticket has been claimed.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
            Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
            Atlantic Mine, Michigan
            United States
            Member #416
            June 23, 2002
            1614 Posts
            Posted: September 17, 2008, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

I don't know if its the best but I like what Texas does.  For each game they gaurantee a certain amount of winners in each pack of tickets.  So you can go and buy the pack and be gauranteed a certain amount back.  I don't think any other lottery does that. 

Brad

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #56506
              November 21, 2007
              6537 Posts
              Posted: September 18, 2008, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

I don't play scratch tickets that often so I couldn't really say. I suppose it depends on who you ask and what state they live in.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Talking Rock, GA
                United States
                Member #60369
                April 15, 2008
                398 Posts
                Posted: September 18, 2008, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

I've hit a fair share of winners playing in GA (you can see some in my blog).  However......I would give the "best nearby scratcher state" award to South Carolina.  I have hit some winners the few times I've been there.  In addition......I like the odds on most of the tickets and the fact that they release a lot of info about their tickets on their site (such as detailed odds of each prize and its method of winning it (e.g. $25 via a number match or a 5x multiplier symbol with $5), total value of prizes remaining, number of prizes in the game at the start for each and every prize level, etc. -- stuff I wish GA would post on their site for their scratchers).

A Gold account on Lottery Post:  $4.95

A Millionaire Jumbo Bucks scratcher:  $20

Airfare and hotel in March 2007 to see The Price Is Right before Bob Barker retired:  $600-something

Winning something to get a trip to a district office:  Priceless Big Grin

Chesapeake, VA
                  United States
                  Member #65042
                  September 15, 2008
                  63 Posts
                  Posted: September 21, 2008, 7:24 am - IP Logged

Virginia? Are you serious? Maybe I have bad luck with scratchers...most i have won is 30 bucks on a 2 dollar ticket...maybe i should level up and play those 5 and ten dollar tix...

Although they do have a good website

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
                    Connecticut
                    United States
                    Member #61623
                    May 29, 2008
                    20581 Posts
                    Posted: September 21, 2008, 8:06 am - IP Logged

Connecticut just came out with a well hyped 20 dollar ticket called "Maxamillions"

there are 8 2million dollar prizes...that's right...8 of em

Lotto*Love's avatar - lips
                      Washington *state*
                      United States
                      Member #62009
                      June 14, 2008
                      192 Posts
                      Posted: September 22, 2008, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

I'm not sure about Wa.state's scratcher sales as I'm basing it on my luck lol.  Which is ZERO.  The Wa. lottery website has alot of winners on every game, but not here so much as say Seattle and surrounding areas.  Not that we don't have winners here.  I know of ONE person who won $2,000 on a scratcher at the grocery store.  Might of been another $1,000 winner. And the gas station sold I think 2 $5,000 scratchers.

The next town over...one of those "don't blink or you'll miss it" type towns...someone won $30,000 on a scratcher.  Then there was a guy from the Tri-Cities area who was fortunate to land one of those $1,000 a week for life, not long after winning a $10,000 scratcher!

I think I just need to buy from a larger town as well as my own and maybe I'll up my chances of coming away with something more than just my spent $ back. lol

*My husband forgot to buy me my PB ticket in Idaho for this Wednesday.  He is now my EX husband...Hit With Stick

Surrender You can run, but you can't hide mighty Jackpot...surrender to me at once!

kaykar's avatar - batman38
                        jackson
                        United States
                        Member #48187
                        December 14, 2006
                        52 Posts
                        Posted: September 30, 2008, 1:13 pm - IP Logged

I say any where... iam from michigan and every time i purchase a sratch off i win some thing... we took took route 66 from callie to

atlanta and every stop for gas.  i purchased scratch offs and i won. ...again i say just about any whereUS Flag

geddurwon Thumbs Up