Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 2:39 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New Powerball / Mega Millions Survey

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 8 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23348 Posts
Posted: September 15, 2008, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

There is an interesting new survey regarding Powerball and Mega Millions I would invite everyone to participate in.

You can find a link to the survey at USA Mega.  Go to www.usamega.com and look for a banner advertisement at the top of the page.  If the banner ad is not for the survey, simply click the Refresh/Reload button on your web browser until it shows up.

(The ad is yellow text on a black background — you can't miss it.)

The survey looks to be short and straight-forward, and asks only minimal info about yourself, such as which state you play the lottery in.

I'd suggest that if you're intrerested in adding your opinion that you don't wait.  The survey is only going to be active for a couple days and then whatever results are collected at that point are final.

Note:  The survey is being done by another company — not me.  I have simply been asked to carry the survey on USA Mega.  So if you have questions about it, please address your questions to the company running the survey, not to me!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
    Portland,Oregon
    United States
    Member #14387
    April 25, 2005
    229 Posts
    Posted: September 15, 2008, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

There is an interesting new survey regarding Powerball and Mega Millions I would invite everyone to participate in.

You can find a link to the survey at USA Mega.  Go to www.usamega.com and look for a banner advertisement at the top of the page.  If the banner ad is not for the survey, simply click the Refresh/Reload button on your web browser until it shows up.

(The ad is yellow text on a black background — you can't miss it.)

The survey looks to be short and straight-forward, and asks only minimal info about yourself, such as which state you play the lottery in.

I'd suggest that if you're intrerested in adding your opinion that you don't wait.  The survey is only going to be active for a couple days and then whatever results are collected at that point are final.

Note:  The survey is being done by another company — not me.  I have simply been asked to carry the survey on USA Mega.  So if you have questions about it, please address your questions to the company running the survey, not to me!

Todd

It's not so much a poll about Powerball or MegaMillions as it is about forming pools to play these games. They want to know if one would be interested in their "new" pooling options ... like buy 5 regular $1 tickets and then have the option of buying 10 pool tickets for an additional $1. Don't know if this is the PB/MM folks them selves thinking of marketing this ... or some competitor of USA Mega trying to horn in on your action

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23348 Posts
      Posted: September 15, 2008, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

It is about Mega Millions and Powerball.  Yes, pooling with those games, but certainly about the official versions of those games.

USA Mega does not have something to compete against.  It is an informational web site about Powerball and Mega Millions.  There is no action to horn in on, unless you're talking about a site that also shows news and results for Powerball and Mega Millions. 

I am bringing this to everyone's attention because most people like to become aware when a company is collecting information that will be shown to lottery directors across the USA.  If you don't want to participate, you don't have to, but I am announcing this for your benefit.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19894 Posts
        Posted: September 15, 2008, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

The questions asked presented an interesting concept.  The option of buying 1 ticket with 1 chance to win a prize or 1 ticket with 10 chances to win 10 prizes at 1/10th their value. 

There would have to be some restrictions because I could see even players in a pools participating in such a pool.  After all getting 10% of something always beats getting a 100% of nothing.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23348 Posts
          Posted: September 15, 2008, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

The questions asked presented an interesting concept.  The option of buying 1 ticket with 1 chance to win a prize or 1 ticket with 10 chances to win 10 prizes at 1/10th their value. 

There would have to be some restrictions because I could see even players in a pools participating in such a pool.  After all getting 10% of something always beats getting a 100% of nothing.

I agree, it's interesting — some will like it, others won't.  That's why I'm encouraging people to let their opinions be known! Thumbs Up

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
            CT
            United States
            Member #61398
            May 21, 2008
            781 Posts
            Posted: September 15, 2008, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

Interesting idea, but I would have a number of questions, such as:

Is this an actual 'pool' created by the lottery with you and another 9 entrants, who all have the same set of 10 tickets?  If so, what if you were to receive a set of 10 tickets only distributed to 4 other people, does 50% of the prize remain unclaimed and get put back into the lottery? Say you were the last one to purchase lottery tickets before the sales closed. They're rarely going to have ticket sales be a perfect multiple of 10.

On the other hand, is this just simply a 10% cost ticket, where you receive 10% of the prize (that they are labeling a 'pool')?  If that is the case, why not allow people to pick their own numbers rather than force them to take quick picks? 

I wonder if they have worked out all of the possible details yet..

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
              adelaide sa
              Australia
              Member #37136
              April 11, 2006
              3315 Posts
              Posted: September 15, 2008, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

Ive seen planty of people stating that $300 mill is too much for 1 person and they would be happy with 1/10th of that.  nows there chance to get that, at only 10c a ticket! i have no idea what the average ticket sale is valued at but i imagine there are a lot fo $1 tickets sold and this will at least tripple their take on  min ticket sales.

good strategy mega lotto

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Posted: September 16, 2008, 1:21 am - IP Logged

I like the idea of the 'pooling', BUT, taking it in the context that Powerball is changing in January to make the odds even LONGER to win, I have mixed feelings if I want to dump even one more dollar into the sport (in additon to/on top of what I already spend).

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3502 Posts
                  Posted: September 16, 2008, 2:08 am - IP Logged

Interesting idea, but I would have a number of questions, such as:

Is this an actual 'pool' created by the lottery with you and another 9 entrants, who all have the same set of 10 tickets?  If so, what if you were to receive a set of 10 tickets only distributed to 4 other people, does 50% of the prize remain unclaimed and get put back into the lottery? Say you were the last one to purchase lottery tickets before the sales closed. They're rarely going to have ticket sales be a perfect multiple of 10.

On the other hand, is this just simply a 10% cost ticket, where you receive 10% of the prize (that they are labeling a 'pool')?  If that is the case, why not allow people to pick their own numbers rather than force them to take quick picks? 

I wonder if they have worked out all of the possible details yet..

It seems pretty clear that it's an actual pool, and that's why the numbers have to be QP's. In theory it could work without actually selling 10 identical tickets, and in the event that a partial pool won the jackpot the remainder would roll over to the next drawing.  In reality I can't imagine that it would be done that way, and there's no reason to do so. Overall ticket sales may not be a multiple of 10, bt they can easily sell pool tickest in sets of 10 by simply stopping pool sales a bit before general ticket sales. Once they sell the first ticket of a set they only need to sell 9 more to finish it. If the pools are done within each state and pool tickets account for 1% of sales it shouldn't take more than about a minute (on average) to sell the remaining 9 (that's in the states with the lowest sales, for the starting jackpot). Even if they simply sell pool tickets until all sales are stopped the worst case scenario is that each state sells only 1 ticket for the last set. That results in 120 partial pool combinations in play, so the chances that one would win a jackpot are roughly 1 in 1.5 million. Even over 10 years it's only 1 in 1500. If I was a lottery administrator I wouldn't lose any sleep over that prospect.

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3502 Posts
                    Posted: September 16, 2008, 2:10 am - IP Logged

Why would there need to be restrictions because of player-organized pools?  If you and 4000 coworkers want to each have a 1/4000th share of 1/10th of a prize why wouldn't that be your choice to make?

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                      Member #91
                      January 19, 2002
                      12006 Posts
                      Posted: September 16, 2008, 7:48 am - IP Logged

Seems like they want the jackpots to hit more often,,, I'm just wondering what happens when it does roll into the 100 million mark and the influx of extra players come out.  It is an interesting concept. 

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

grengrad's avatar - nw rogue.jpg
                        Raleigh
                        United States
                        Member #49057
                        January 17, 2007
                        172 Posts
                        Posted: September 16, 2008, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

I like the idea...

A lot.

Whenever I do a lotto pool at work, I have to write up legal documents to have everyone sign, and I have to go nagging people for money, and it is such a pain, I only do it if the jackpot is 200+.

With this pool, I could have an easy worry free pool.

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
                          CT
                          United States
                          Member #61398
                          May 21, 2008
                          781 Posts
                          Posted: September 16, 2008, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

I run a powerball pool of a group of 18 at work.  Collecting money is definitely a pain, but we have a website up and are integrating an electronic payment recipt (keep paid users in the database).  If you're payment isn't in before the drawing, you won't get a timestamped electronic payment recipt, and you are not in for the drawing. I'm not going to be running around to 18 people collecting money.  Hopefully it would be enough to hold up in court, ha.

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                            San Angelo, Texas
                            United States
                            Member #1097
                            January 31, 2003
                            1405 Posts
                            Posted: September 16, 2008, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

I like the idea...

A lot.

Whenever I do a lotto pool at work, I have to write up legal documents to have everyone sign, and I have to go nagging people for money, and it is such a pain, I only do it if the jackpot is 200+.

With this pool, I could have an easy worry free pool.

A big difference in the two types of pools is that with the office pool you can pick your own numbers and play as many sets as you like.

The lottery pool of 10 sets are the same as Quick Picks. It's like the famous 'box of chocolates,'  you never know what you will get.

Getting a tenth of whatever the lottery pool ticket wins might not be all that great. If you won $150, you would have to
                            split it 10 ways, or $15 each. But, swapping $1 for $15  isn't all that bad.

I don't know exactly how they will split a $3 or a $7 win 10 ways!

grengrad's avatar - nw rogue.jpg
                              Raleigh
                              United States
                              Member #49057
                              January 17, 2007
                              172 Posts
                              Posted: September 17, 2008, 12:34 am - IP Logged

I play to win the jackpot. Winning the smaller prizes does not matter to me. :)