Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 10:18 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

WHAT! !! No $... Just Tickets-Has this happened to you before

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 8 years ago by ThatScaryChick.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
tnlottodreamer's avatar - animal bear.jpg
The Great Smoky Mountains
United States
Member #59921
March 31, 2008
266 Posts
Posted: September 24, 2008, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

Hello, A while back I got a Tn scratch off ticket and won $ 250.00. went in to the store to cash it in, The guy ran it through the machine. then he said oh I dont have that much money in the drawer soooooo ill have to give it to you in TICKETS..  Needless to say I was pissed.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5611 Posts
    Posted: September 24, 2008, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

I think he tried to screw you. This happened to me but on a pick 3 ticket. The store owner told me to go to a Tom Thumb store (grocery store) or come back in the afternoon after he went to the bank. He did NOT offer me scratch offs for payment.

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
      Connecticut
      United States
      Member #61623
      May 29, 2008
      20581 Posts
      Posted: September 24, 2008, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

I saw it happen to someone a long time ago and have since asked if they carry what I've won ahead of time.Lucky for me the convienience store I go to always has up to 6 grand payable at any time.I notice that's a familiar line in package stores in CT.

beaudad's avatar - animaniacs26
        Mid Atlantic States
        United States
        Member #60043
        April 3, 2008
        1422 Posts
        Posted: September 24, 2008, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

I won 350 on a pic 3......they said come back a little later.......I went to another store......they said they didn't have it....said take it to  grocery store (chain)and cash it......they had a blue powerball cash register and they scanned the ticket......and they cashed it!..beaudad..........

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
          West Side of Sunny Florida
          United States
          Member #55048
          September 8, 2007
          3371 Posts
          Posted: September 24, 2008, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

I had this happen, but instead of tickets they said they had to give me money-orders.  In fact there are a couple of stores by me that pay in moneyorders if its over $50.00!! Argue

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

beaudad's avatar - animaniacs26
            Mid Atlantic States
            United States
            Member #60043
            April 3, 2008
            1422 Posts
            Posted: September 24, 2008, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

Each retailer should have up to 600 dollars....if it's 601 you gotta call  the Ky lottery headquarters

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: September 24, 2008, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

Hello, A while back I got a Tn scratch off ticket and won $ 250.00. went in to the store to cash it in, The guy ran it through the machine. then he said oh I dont have that much money in the drawer soooooo ill have to give it to you in TICKETS..  Needless to say I was pissed.

I always wondered about TN lottery. 

march20's avatar - flower2
                Ohio
                United States
                Member #55655
                October 12, 2007
                424 Posts
                Posted: September 24, 2008, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

Yes, it was happened to me before, they told me to go some where else or come back in few hours, cuz they don't have enough cash for $500 to pay out.  I was mad but kept it cool.  My thing is if these stores are don't have enough money to pay out for winning lotteries tickets that they sold,  then they should  NOT be selling State lottery tickets in the first place, and I just only talk about the small amounts of money that won and don't have to pay tax on it.

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                  West Side of Sunny Florida
                  United States
                  Member #55048
                  September 8, 2007
                  3371 Posts
                  Posted: September 24, 2008, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

Yes, it was happened to me before, they told me to go some where else or come back in few hours, cuz they don't have enough cash for $500 to pay out.  I was mad but kept it cool.  My thing is if these stores are don't have enough money to pay out for winning lotteries tickets that they sold,  then they should  NOT be selling State lottery tickets in the first place, and I just only talk about the small amounts of money that won and don't have to pay tax on it.

I agree!! I also tried contacting the New York State Lottery to complain and they didn't care.  BUT I am sure they would care if THEY were not getting the 'sales' money in the form they wanted from the stores!! 

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

MysteryMan424's avatar - batman22
                    Pelham NY
                    United States
                    Member #60411
                    April 16, 2008
                    169 Posts
                    Posted: September 24, 2008, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

Some stores just don't sell that much in lottery, therefore cannot cash, or they may have already paid out what they had on hand. Here in NYC there are some stores that do pretty high volume that they have two lonline machines, usually never a problem cashing. Here's a good tip; find a store that you like to play at and establish a relationship with the proprietor- sure enough when you hit they will take care of you.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                      Clarksville
                      United States
                      Member #487
                      July 15, 2002
                      17638 Posts
                      Posted: September 24, 2008, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't have taken the tickets that's for sure!!  I am so glad we have "That's Messed Up!"  I would call them in a heartbeat after I got through calling the lottery headquarters.  That way I could report both of them at the same time.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                        Member #47420
                        November 4, 2006
                        3930 Posts
                        Posted: September 24, 2008, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

I always tell the clerk that I have a winner and what amount it's worth and dose he have enough to cover it..You should have asked the clerk for a check in the amount he owed you..Call the lottery headquarters and report the store and clerk..You got ripped..

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
                          CT
                          United States
                          Member #61398
                          May 21, 2008
                          781 Posts
                          Posted: September 24, 2008, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

I tried to cash a $300 winning at a local convinient store and he said he didn't have enough cash in the drawer, so I took it to Stop & Shop.  Problem solved.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                            Idaho
                            United States
                            Member #56506
                            November 21, 2007
                            6537 Posts
                            Posted: September 25, 2008, 12:11 am - IP Logged

I haven't won as much as most people, but when I recently won $40, I asked the little store that I went to if they had enough at the moment to cash it. I think that is the safest way to make sure one gets cash.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."