Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 3:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Non standard game

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 8 years ago by cbreeze8.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
cbreeze8's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
Philadelphia
United States
Member #39430
May 16, 2006
45 Posts
Posted: September 26, 2008, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

HELP!!!

What is meant by a 'non-standard' game? 

cbreeze8

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23351 Posts
    Posted: September 26, 2008, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

HELP!!!

What is meant by a 'non-standard' game? 

cbreeze8

Can you give an example?

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Philadelphia
      United States
      Member #39430
      May 16, 2006
      45 Posts
      Posted: September 26, 2008, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

Can you give an example?

Hello Todd,

I subscribe to Lotto Pro and I noticed that they had not created a database for the Quinto games.  When I asked why they hadn't, their reply was: "Quinto is a nonstandard game and would not be added".  So my question is why is: Is it nonstandard because you pick 5 numbers instead of 4 like the Big 4??

Thanks for answering.

cbreeze8

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
        Dump Water Florida
        United States
        Member #380
        June 5, 2002
        3114 Posts
        Posted: September 26, 2008, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

Hello Todd,

I subscribe to Lotto Pro and I noticed that they had not created a database for the Quinto games.  When I asked why they hadn't, their reply was: "Quinto is a nonstandard game and would not be added".  So my question is why is: Is it nonstandard because you pick 5 numbers instead of 4 like the Big 4??

Thanks for answering.

cbreeze8

It means he (John Lake) would have to go to a lot of work for little return to reprogram much of Lotto Pro for one minor game.   Non-standard usually means games with weird things like playing cards in the draw like the Washington State lottery used to have if memory is correct. 

Quinto is a different game matrix from other games, so it isn't just a matter of adding another data base. 

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/180375

BobP

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7344 Posts
          Posted: September 26, 2008, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

Hello Todd,

Thanks for answering.

cbreeze8

It's a nonstandard game now because PA is the only state with that type of game and they haven't written a program for it. You may have to use the old fashioned pencil and paper method until they do. I use another program and they won't be adding Quinto near future either.

My guess it that Todd is already figuring out how to include the deflate and inspect features for Quinto and somebody made a Vtrac chart too.

Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23351 Posts
            Posted: September 26, 2008, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

Hello Todd,

Thanks for answering.

cbreeze8

Oh, OK.

I understand their opinions, but I disagree with their terminology.

Although Quinto is different than other games, I reserve the term "non-standard" to mean lotto games that use something other than numbers for at least part of the results.  (At Lottery Post I use the term "Non-Traditional", although Non-Standard is close enough.)

For example, the multi-state game Wild Card 2 is considered Non-Traditional because the drawing results consist of 5 numbers plus a playing card. (Like "Jack of Clubs".)

It can be difficult to integrate a completely new type of number matrix like Quinto, but I certainly don't think the reason for not supporting the game should be that it is "non-standard".

It is actually a business decision: is it financially beneficial to put in the programming effort required for a completely new game matrix?  i.e., are there enough people playing Quinto to be worth it.

The way I personally look at things at Lottery Post is that I support every game, no matter what.  So if a new type of game comes out, I will display the results, maintain the history of drawings, display statistics, and provide the ability to search the past drawings -- at the very least. 

And that's exactly what I did for Quinto.

It was a lot of work, but the day the game started all four of those things were available at Lottery Post.  Quinto results were available here even before they appeared on the government's official site.

For the Lottery Post results search engine, it sees Quinto as a daily numbers game (like Pick 3 and Pick 4), and provides the appropriate straight/box search options.  Most sites would see Quinto as a 5-number game and provide searching that was more suitable for a traditional Pick 5-style game, which it is not.

The search engine also provides some awesome partial-match searches, which is also unique.  That feature has also been available from the start.

I personally don't think any major product developer in the lottery industry should refuse to support a game just because it would require effort to support it.  They owe it to their customers to support all of them, or the customer should go elsewhere.

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
              CT
              United States
              Member #61398
              May 21, 2008
              781 Posts
              Posted: September 26, 2008, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

Todd, even though this is slightly off topic, how is it that you are able to grab all the results from lotteries all over the world almost instantly? Have you been granted a read-only account to a (or a few) official databases? I was just always curious how the database logistics worked in this situation.

Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23351 Posts
                Posted: September 26, 2008, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

Todd, even though this is slightly off topic, how is it that you are able to grab all the results from lotteries all over the world almost instantly? Have you been granted a read-only account to a (or a few) official databases? I was just always curious how the database logistics worked in this situation.

That would be what is referred to as a "trade secret".

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
                  CT
                  United States
                  Member #61398
                  May 21, 2008
                  781 Posts
                  Posted: September 26, 2008, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

Gotcha Wink

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19902 Posts
                    Posted: September 26, 2008, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

Hello Todd,

Thanks for answering.

cbreeze8

I can understand why Lotto Pro (John Lake) was reluctant to rewrite his program for one game.  Lotto Pro is a general purpose lottery program that handles  standard games (pick3,pick4,pick5/20-60,pick6/20-60 and possible a bonus number) which are played in most states under different names. 

When Lot'O Play came out in Ohio which had a pool of 100 number, I rewrote my program to handle 100 numbers and redesigned the part that simulate the play slips of the games that I play and eliminated some features that worked fine for 60 or less numbers but not for 100.  Every time I've rewritten a routine in my program, I've introduced all kinds of bugs which takes a while to catch and correct.  Shortly after I finished revising the program and catching most of the bugs, the game was eliminated.  I doubt if any other state will ever have a similar game so it was a lot of work for nothing.

I started out using Lotto Pro, but now I use a program I wrote myself using GWBasic because I can add features that I like for the games that I play and they just wouldn't be practical in a general purpose program.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

JAP69's avatar - alas
                      South Carolina
                      United States
                      Member #6
                      November 4, 2001
                      8797 Posts
                      Posted: September 26, 2008, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

I inquired at a software site if they were going to make a quinto program available.

They responded that it would not be available at this time being the game is only available in one state.
                      If other states follow with a quinto game they would reconsider their decision to write a program for the quinto game.

So my guess is you could also call the quinto game as being unique.

Of course Todd is on top of all this by having quinto data available here at Lottery Post. Big Grin

Oo'Ka

JAP69's avatar - alas
                        South Carolina
                        United States
                        Member #6
                        November 4, 2001
                        8797 Posts
                        Posted: September 26, 2008, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

I inquired at a software site if they were going to make a quinto program available.

They responded that it would not be available at this time being the game is only available in one state.
                        If other states follow with a quinto game they would reconsider their decision to write a program for the quinto game.

So my guess is you could also call the quinto game as being unique.

Of course Todd is on top of all this by having quinto data available here at Lottery Post. Big Grin

I was interested in using the quinto program for the cash 5 game tracking the last digit in the cash 5 number.

Oo'Ka

Philadelphia
                          United States
                          Member #39430
                          May 16, 2006
                          45 Posts
                          Posted: September 27, 2008, 9:03 am - IP Logged

To Todd, JAP69, BobP and others,

Thanks for all of your input.  I really appreciate that there are so many knowlegeable people on LP from which to get information.  The main reason that I was waiting so patiently for Lotto Pro was because I  need a wheeling system for Quinto.  Since one won't be coming anytime soon, I'll try the 5 number wheels here and just ignore the '0' and see how that works. 

Thanks again,

cbreeze8