Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ: Extended Maintenance Period

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 8 years ago by diamondpalace.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
adulane62's avatar - file php?avatar=16228.gif
From Denver, Rocky Mountain Empire,
United States
Member #49750
February 13, 2007
448 Posts
Posted: September 29, 2008, 2:22 am - IP Logged

Okey dokey man! An administrator is got to do, what he's got to do.... fixin' our favorite postin' place....

Be patient, my soul: thou hath suffered worse than this  -  George Herbert

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23348 Posts
    Posted: September 29, 2008, 5:42 am - IP Logged

Just a reminder:  Things on the Lottery Post site will be changing within the next 30-45 minutes from now.

Every way of posting information to the site will no longer be available (such as posting to the forums, blogs posts, posting predictions, etc.)

This is an important step to lock-in the database, so that we don't lose anything when the system comes back online tonight.

I will keep the Lottery Post Web site going in a kind of read-only mode as long as I possibly can, until I absolutely have to shut it down.  Once it is shut down, it should resume operation by around 7:30 PM tonight.

If for some reason it does not come back online by 7:30 PM tonight, just know that I am working behind the scenes as hard as I can to bring it up as soon as I can.

Thanks again everyone for your patience and understanding!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
      Connecticut
      United States
      Member #61623
      May 29, 2008
      20581 Posts
      Posted: September 29, 2008, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

Just a reminder:  Things on the Lottery Post site will be changing within the next 30-45 minutes from now.

Every way of posting information to the site will no longer be available (such as posting to the forums, blogs posts, posting predictions, etc.)

This is an important step to lock-in the database, so that we don't lose anything when the system comes back online tonight.

I will keep the Lottery Post Web site going in a kind of read-only mode as long as I possibly can, until I absolutely have to shut it down.  Once it is shut down, it should resume operation by around 7:30 PM tonight.

If for some reason it does not come back online by 7:30 PM tonight, just know that I am working behind the scenes as hard as I can to bring it up as soon as I can.

Thanks again everyone for your patience and understanding!

:::::wipes forehead::::::  phew thank god it's over  lol.

United States
        Member #916
        December 12, 2002
        18335 Posts
        Posted: September 29, 2008, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Todd for a magnificent job as always!  I wish I was perfect like you! Heart Glasses 

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
          Harbinger
          D.C./MD.
          United States
          Member #44103
          July 30, 2006
          5587 Posts
          Posted: September 29, 2008, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

Great job! Just as promised! Professional! Thank You!

Hurray!

Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23348 Posts
            Posted: September 30, 2008, 1:03 am - IP Logged

Thanks c & j.  (Although far from perfect!)

I just wanted to wrap up this topic (and this event) by saying that I have finally finished the work that was the subject of the downtime today.

(That is, I have finished just about everything that will affect Web visitors and members.  There is still a lot of work that I personally need to do over the next two days to wrap everything up, but I don't think it will involves any kind of substantial downtime.)

As there normally is with this kind of thing, there is a silver lining to this event. 

First, I have built and installed another very powerful sever that will be helping to run Lottery Post over the long term.  In fact, it is running most of Lottery Post right now, and it is performing beautifully.

What this means for everyone here is that the site will be much more stable when high traffic spikes occur, like the other day, following the big Powerball drawing.  The site experienced a few huccups that will likely not occur now that this new powerful server is in the mix.

I also upgraded the database that Lottery Post runs on to the latest SQL Server 2008.  It has a number of tremendous improvements to help me continue keeping Lottery Post at the forefront of all lottery resources.

Finally, I have upgraded the Web server technology that Lottery Post runs on to Microsoft IIS 7.0, which, like SQL Server 2008, is a substantial improvement in technology, and is already showing a really nice performance boost (not to mention being a joy for me to work with).

So, as painful as today's maintenance window was for you and me, I did take the rare opportunity that was presented to install a number of very important upgrades that in the long run will make us all forget about today.

Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23348 Posts
              Posted: September 30, 2008, 1:06 am - IP Logged

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention.  Did you all see the neat little cosmetic changes to Lucky's Followers System?  It's something I was able to slip in there when I had a few moments over the weekend.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                Dallas, TX
                United States
                Member #60284
                April 12, 2008
                3856 Posts
                Posted: September 30, 2008, 10:43 am - IP Logged

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention.  Did you all see the neat little cosmetic changes to Lucky's Followers System?  It's something I was able to slip in there when I had a few moments over the weekend.

Nice. All you need were few moments huh? Slick.

The new look took me back this morning, when I was jotting down some combos on a notepad with a pen.