Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ohio Lottery website taking a survey of possible MM changes.

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 8 years ago by psykomo.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19825 Posts
Posted: September 30, 2008, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

Ohio is taking a survey to see how its customers might respond to an enhanced $2 MM ticket. The new ticket would have a multiplier of 4 for the second prize and a multiplier of ~2 for the other lower tier prizes.  The second prize might be paid in 20 payments of $50K over 20 yrs.

MegaMillions now with $1 ticket
4+0 = $150
3+1 = $150
3+0 = $7
2+1 = $10
1+1 = $3
0+1 = $2

New Enhanced MegaMillions $2 ticket
4+0 = $200
3+1 = $200
3+0 = $15
2+1 = $20
2+0 = $2
1+1 = $7
0+1 = $5

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #2338
    September 17, 2003
    2063 Posts
    Posted: September 30, 2008, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

I would not be surprised at all if ticket prices when to $2 per ticket. It's either that or raise the odds if they want larger jackpots. Personally if they want players to play more they can make the winnings of jackpot games exempt from Federal tax like everywhere else in the world instead.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19825 Posts
      Posted: October 1, 2008, 1:49 am - IP Logged

I don't think Ohio is planning to contribute more to the jackpot, they just want to earn more money per ticket sold.  The extra prize money would be paid by Ohio same a Texas does with its multiplier.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7302 Posts
        Posted: October 1, 2008, 3:59 am - IP Logged

I don't think Ohio is planning to contribute more to the jackpot, they just want to earn more money per ticket sold.  The extra prize money would be paid by Ohio same a Texas does with its multiplier.

The only difference between that and playing the same combo twice is we can win a $1 mllion matching 5 numbers, but can only win the same jackpot as on a $1 ticket. I'm thinking it's an idea from the guy that gave us Lot 'O Play.

Edited to ask: should we get excited because they added a $2 payoff for matching 2 + 0 on a $2 bet?

Think's avatar - lightbulb
          Marquette, MI
          United States
          Member #20541
          August 20, 2005
          705 Posts
          Posted: October 1, 2008, 11:49 am - IP Logged

What does the extra dollar add to the jackpot? Since they don't mention that, I am lead to believe that it does nothing for the jackpot and they are just trying to force everyone to buy the Modified Megaplier.  Under the forced Megaplier ticket, I would wait until it got to at least $125 Million before I bothered to get a ticket.

Michigan gets the jackpot once per year on average (sometimes we get 0, sometimes 1, sometimes 2 jackpots in one year).  If I were forced to get the megaplier option I probably would not play at all in years like next year when I expect nobody in Michigan will get the Jackpot.

BTW did they mention in the survey if the Forced Megaplier option was only for Ohio??

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7302 Posts
            Posted: October 1, 2008, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

What does the extra dollar add to the jackpot? Since they don't mention that, I am lead to believe that it does nothing for the jackpot and they are just trying to force everyone to buy the Modified Megaplier.  Under the forced Megaplier ticket, I would wait until it got to at least $125 Million before I bothered to get a ticket.

Michigan gets the jackpot once per year on average (sometimes we get 0, sometimes 1, sometimes 2 jackpots in one year).  If I were forced to get the megaplier option I probably would not play at all in years like next year when I expect nobody in Michigan will get the Jackpot.

BTW did they mention in the survey if the Forced Megaplier option was only for Ohio??

"What does the extra dollar add to the jackpot?"

A fixed percentage of total sales is added to the jackpot but a $2 ticket won't double the total sales so Ohio's contribution will depend on if the players like the idea and spend more. If total sales stays the same, their contribution will be the same.

For $10, players would get 5 tickets instead 10, matching 5 + 0 will be four times more ($1 million), the other lower prizes will double, but the jackpot will be the same. By adding a payoff for 2 + 0 payoff, the overall odds of 1 in 40 of winning any prize will be lowered slightly too.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
              Marquette, MI
              United States
              Member #20541
              August 20, 2005
              705 Posts
              Posted: October 2, 2008, 10:01 am - IP Logged

"What does the extra dollar add to the jackpot?"

A fixed percentage of total sales is added to the jackpot but a $2 ticket won't double the total sales so Ohio's contribution will depend on if the players like the idea and spend more. If total sales stays the same, their contribution will be the same.

For $10, players would get 5 tickets instead 10, matching 5 + 0 will be four times more ($1 million), the other lower prizes will double, but the jackpot will be the same. By adding a payoff for 2 + 0 payoff, the overall odds of 1 in 40 of winning any prize will be lowered slightly too.

Ok but is this only an Ohio thing like Megaplier is only a Texas thing?

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7302 Posts
                Posted: October 2, 2008, 10:45 am - IP Logged

Ok but is this only an Ohio thing like Megaplier is only a Texas thing?

This is an Ohio survey but it's possible it was discussed by the MM officials to compete with Powerball and other MM states will have similar surveys. 

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                  San Angelo, Texas
                  United States
                  Member #1097
                  January 31, 2003
                  1394 Posts
                  Posted: October 2, 2008, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

This is an Ohio survey but it's possible it was discussed by the MM officials to compete with Powerball and other MM states will have similar surveys. 

At the Sept. 17 meeting, the Texas lottery director told the commissioners that the MegaMillions game is under 'general' review.
                  All of the possibilities were mentioned, but nothing specific.

The MegaMillions game is a standard agenda item in Texas. They talk about the contract in closed session, but they have to vote in public, if there is something to vote on.

A former commissioner who was pushing to have both MM and Powerball in Texas has been reassigned. I don't think the topic will come up again.

If you want to read the comments yourself, go to www.txlottery.org, to bottom of the home page, click on Site Map, scroll down to Commission Agenda minutes. The MM discussion is one of the last items on the agenda.

Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
                    Atlantic Mine, Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #416
                    June 23, 2002
                    1614 Posts
                    Posted: October 2, 2008, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

I did just notice this as well.  I was going to post a topic but surprise there is already one here...haha.  What I don't understand is the odds.  They aren't changing the number of balls needed to win.  Is that a typo or what?  I mean they say the odd of winning will be down to 1 in 12, but how is that going to happen?  Just by adding the 2+0 prize?  All you get is your money back for that one.  I don't like the annuity either...with a game like this just pay the $1,000,000 in cash. 

Brad

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
                      Member #38687
                      May 3, 2006
                      315 Posts
                      Posted: October 5, 2008, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

I took the survey and it didn't tell me too much of anything. If anything, it left me with alot more questions. It time for MM to make some changes. Seriously! The game is getting stale.

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                        Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #56506
                        November 21, 2007
                        6537 Posts
                        Posted: October 8, 2008, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

I took the survey and it didn't tell me too much of anything. If anything, it left me with alot more questions. It time for MM to make some changes. Seriously! The game is getting stale.

People who are not from Ohio can take the survey?

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7302 Posts
                          Posted: October 8, 2008, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

People who are not from Ohio can take the survey?

The survey is a "would you play this type of game?" so any lottery player's opinion should be valid.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                            Dallas, TX
                            United States
                            Member #60284
                            April 12, 2008
                            3856 Posts
                            Posted: October 8, 2008, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

Extra dollar, with matching 5 balls for a million, not bad. That mega ball is the one you have to worry about, getting it right to become a millionaire. Then again, taxes comes in, with state cuts, one will get around 700,000??

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7302 Posts
                              Posted: October 8, 2008, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

Extra dollar, with matching 5 balls for a million, not bad. That mega ball is the one you have to worry about, getting it right to become a millionaire. Then again, taxes comes in, with state cuts, one will get around 700,000??

The Ohio Lottery would withhold $250,000 in federal taxes and another $60,000 in Ohio State taxes. The survey also asked opinions on paying it $50,000 a year for 20 years.