Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

is it true...

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 8 years ago by neverwins.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #61296
May 17, 2008
187 Posts
Posted: October 1, 2008, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

That if the store that sells u a winning pick 5, 6 or mega ticket (jackpot win only) they only receive a $1,000 bonus? Thats what the guy told me at the store in Jersey..

United States
    Member #64434
    August 28, 2008
    31 Posts
    Posted: October 1, 2008, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

wll can't say that I know if it's true or not, but that's a bit rough on the store if that's the case! I always thought they received more, but can't say as I'm too sure.

Amanda

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
      Member #47420
      November 4, 2006
      3930 Posts
      Posted: October 1, 2008, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

If you want to find the truth with no BS call the lottery headquarters in your state then you know what's what.......Good luck..

JAP69's avatar - alas
        South Carolina
        United States
        Member #6
        November 4, 2001
        8790 Posts
        Posted: October 1, 2008, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

That if the store that sells u a winning pick 5, 6 or mega ticket (jackpot win only) they only receive a $1,000 bonus? Thats what the guy told me at the store in Jersey..

http://www.state.nj.us/lottery/general/6-5-1_retailer.htm

MAGA

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19831 Posts
          Posted: October 1, 2008, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

Each state has its own rules for paying retailers who sell the winning tickets and it's different for each game also.  Some years back when the largest MegaMillions jackpot was won by two different tickets, one in Michigan and the other in Illinois, the retailer in Michigan that sold one of the winning ticket got $2K  while the retailer in Chicago got $50K for selling the other winning ticket.   Most lotteries post that information somewhere on their websites.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
            Member #4877
            May 30, 2004
            5124 Posts
            Posted: October 1, 2008, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

JNE:

welcome 2 D LP>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!

CHILL-OUT-U-(LUCKY-PERSON) U>MAY>BE

the NEXT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!

BIG>>>>WINNER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>$$

LOL....................................................$$$$$$$$$$

PSYKOMO

Sunny California
              United States
              Member #40295
              May 31, 2006
              7712 Posts
              Posted: October 2, 2008, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

I was under the impression that the store received half of 1% of whatever the jackpot was. At least that's how much it was when I used to sell lottery tickets,here in CA,that is.

Shawn67's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                Member #45970
                September 1, 2006
                4763 Posts
                Posted: October 2, 2008, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

I help manage a store in Oklahoma that sells lotto tickets. In the "great (aka: cheap)" state of Oklahoma, the retailer gets 1/2 of one percent on the "sale" of the ticket (amounts to about 1-cent/ticket), and nothing on the winnings of a ticket. As far as I know, we are the only state where the retailer gets nothing for selling a winner.

Sunny California
                  United States
                  Member #40295
                  May 31, 2006
                  7712 Posts
                  Posted: October 2, 2008, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

I help manage a store in Oklahoma that sells lotto tickets. In the "great (aka: cheap)" state of Oklahoma, the retailer gets 1/2 of one percent on the "sale" of the ticket (amounts to about 1-cent/ticket), and nothing on the winnings of a ticket. As far as I know, we are the only state where the retailer gets nothing for selling a winner.

That is a bummer! I can't believe you guys don't get anything for a winner. Boycott! LOL

When someone won a jackpot of $3 million at our store (after I quit) I heard the owner got around $18,000. Does that sound like half of one percent? My math's not too good today.

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3475 Posts
                    Posted: October 2, 2008, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

wll can't say that I know if it's true or not, but that's a bit rough on the store if that's the case! I always thought they received more, but can't say as I'm too sure.

Amanda

What exactly is rough about being paid $1000 for selling a $1 lottery ticket? It cost the store exactly as much to sell that ticket as it did to sell the losers. Many (probably most) states pay retailers for redeeming the winners, but the stores don't redeem the jackpot winners, so there's no cost to them.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                      Wisconsin
                      United States
                      Member #1303
                      March 27, 2003
                      1508 Posts
                      Posted: October 2, 2008, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

I think it depends upon the state involved.  They all do it differently, since it is state-run not national.  So how much they get depends upon what the particular state they are in has allowed by law.  At one time in WI the retailer got nothing.  Now, I think they get a small percent . That's only on a jackpot of course. Nothing on anything less.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                        Portland,Oregon
                        United States
                        Member #14387
                        April 25, 2005
                        229 Posts
                        Posted: October 5, 2008, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

It really does depend on the state.  Here is what Washington State does for its retailers vis a vis lottery sales:

Benefits of Being a Retailer

Increase Profits

Earn money, make winners!
                        Let’s face it, who hasn’t dreamed about winning the Lottery? The link between dreams and reality is the Lottery retailer. Just take a look at the revenue-generating opportunity the Lottery offers…cha-ching!

• 6% commission on all Scratch ticket and Draw Game sales (except Mega Millions).
                        • 7% commission on all Mega Million sales.
                        • 1% bonus increase in the commission on all Lotto sales when Jackpots are $6 million or more.
                        • $50,000 selling bonus for selling a winning Mega Millions Jackpot ticket.
                        • $2,500 selling bonus for selling a winning second-tier Mega Millions ticket.
                        • Selling bonus equaling 1% of the jackpot for selling a winning Lotto Jackpot ticket.
                        • Selling bonus equaling 1% of the jackpot for selling a winning Hit 5 Cashpot ticket.
                        • Special retailer incentives during specified sales promotions.

And Oregon says this (from  the FAQ section for retailers):

How much money will I make?

A This answer depends on a lot of variables, of course. It will depend on what products you sell, the

location of your business, etc. Your local Field Sales Representative can share some average sales

figures with you for your area. Here is a list of Commission Rates for all types of Lottery products. In

addition to Commissions, some Retailers are eligible for bonuses and incentives.

For Traditional Games (all games other than Video Lottery), the compensation you receive

depends on the volume of Lottery product sold at your business every week. The following rates

apply, generally. Please refer to the Retailer Contract for specific details.

Amount Sold per Week Compensation - Percent of Gross Sales

Up to $1,000 5.0%

$1,001 to $2,000 7.0%

$2,001 to $3,000 7.5%

$3,001 to $4,000 8.0%

$4,001 to $5,000 8.5%

$5,001 to $6,000 9.0%

$6,001 to $7,000 9.5%

$7,001 and up 10.0%

For Video Lottery, the percentage retailers receive is calculated on a percentage of

net

receipts.

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                          Member #41383
                          June 16, 2006
                          1969 Posts
                          Posted: October 5, 2008, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

I believe a Powerball Jackpot winning ticket selling store OWNER gets $100,000 in the stores' name.

United States
                            Member #64434
                            August 28, 2008
                            31 Posts
                            Posted: October 9, 2008, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

KY Floyd - I agree with your post. I guess I just think that there should be a little more incentive in some states for the retailers if they sell a winner. I mean at the end of the day they're still making money, so they're still happy!

Actually when you think about it, in the states where they give a good payout, the retailers are in the best position to win something, cos every ticket they sell could win them cash! far better odds than someone buying 1 or 2!

Amanda Drum