Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is your state a powerball or a megamillions state

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 8 years ago by JordanT1021.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

is your state a powerball state or a mega million state

powerball state [ 18 ]  [66.67%]
megamillions [ 8 ]  [29.63%]
powerball but i prefer mega [ 1 ]  [3.70%]
mega state but i prefer powerball [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 27 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
JordanT1021's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
North Carolina
United States
Member #53121
June 24, 2007
6499 Posts
Posted: October 8, 2008, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

I live in North Carolina I prefer powerball...

one simple reasons

# 1 mulitplier

Quoted by favor4:

Your winning number is not under attack. It's about to HIT. So Hang In There"

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: October 9, 2008, 12:34 am - IP Logged

Powerball state. I don't prefer one over the other. Powerball just happens to be the one that is available to me at the moment.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
      Member #41383
      June 16, 2006
      1969 Posts
      Posted: October 9, 2008, 2:44 am - IP Logged

You could just go to each Lotteries' website and look there to see what state they are played in.

North Carolina
        United States
        Member #53121
        June 24, 2007
        6499 Posts
        Posted: October 9, 2008, 6:12 am - IP Logged

You could just go to each Lotteries' website and look there to see what state they are played in.

i already know that.. i just want to know about the lottery post members....

i don't like how megamillions only pays $2 for matching the mega ball where powerball pays $3 for matching the powerball...

Quoted by favor4:

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
          Member #28409
          December 15, 2005
          1198 Posts
          Posted: October 9, 2008, 7:45 am - IP Logged

I live in a powerball state.  And, like you, I prefer powerball... when it comes to the lower tier prizes.  Right now, it is all I have been able to play.  But Mega millions is the one with the better jackpot prizes.  That's why I play it too.  I'll admit it, I'm a jackpot hopper.  Embarassed Right now they are pretty much even on their jackpots' prizes so "anything goes" for me.  I don't like how powerball messes with you in the cash option payout.  You wind up not even getting half What?of the jackpot annuity advertised if you take the cash option, after taxes and so forth.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

North Carolina
            United States
            Member #53121
            June 24, 2007
            6499 Posts
            Posted: October 9, 2008, 9:30 am - IP Logged

I live in a powerball state.  And, like you, I prefer powerball... when it comes to the lower tier prizes.  Right now, it is all I have been able to play.  But Mega millions is the one with the better jackpot prizes.  That's why I play it too.  I'll admit it, I'm a jackpot hopper.  Embarassed Right now they are pretty much even on their jackpots' prizes so "anything goes" for me.  I don't like how powerball messes with you in the cash option payout.  You wind up not even getting half What?of the jackpot annuity advertised if you take the cash option, after taxes and so forth.

so megamillions doesn't have a cash option payout?

Quoted by favor4:

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #48725
              January 7, 2007
              1953 Posts
              Posted: October 10, 2008, 3:41 am - IP Logged

Powerball.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Indiana
                United States
                Member #48725
                January 7, 2007
                1953 Posts
                Posted: October 10, 2008, 3:51 am - IP Logged

Mega Millions's cash option isn't a higher percentage of the annuity amount than Powerball simply "because". The problem people are having when it comes to comparing Powerball's cash option to Mega Millions's cash option, is that they look are looking at the annuity amount first. See, the cash amount is not determined from the annuity amount. It's the other way around. They determine the annuity amount from the cash amount. See, Powerball allows a higher annuity amount with less cash.

Gonna win.Big Smile

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
                  Member #28409
                  December 15, 2005
                  1198 Posts
                  Posted: October 10, 2008, 7:40 am - IP Logged

Mega Millions's cash option isn't a higher percentage of the annuity amount than Powerball simply "because". The problem people are having when it comes to comparing Powerball's cash option to Mega Millions's cash option, is that they look are looking at the annuity amount first. See, the cash amount is not determined from the annuity amount. It's the other way around. They determine the annuity amount from the cash amount. See, Powerball allows a higher annuity amount with less cash.

To JordanT:  yes, mega millions has a cash option payout.

Guru:

Why does Powerball allow a  higher annuity payout with less cash?  Specifically. 

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #48725
                    January 7, 2007
                    1953 Posts
                    Posted: October 10, 2008, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

Guru:

Why does Powerball allow a  higher annuity payout with less cash?  Specifically. 

Higher interest rates. How is the interest gained? I don't know.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7310 Posts
                      Posted: October 10, 2008, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

Guru:

When the jackpot is at $20 million the "lump sum" or "cash value" amount represents the amount of money it takes to purchase a $20 million annuity. The Powerball annuity has 30 payments and Mega Million has 26 so MM's lump sum payoff is higher on a $20 million jackpot because the annuity term is shorter. A 26 year $20 million annuity costs more than a 30 year annuity and that why the MM cash value for the same advertised jackpot amount is higher.

Today's Powerball cash value jackpot is $10.3 million and that's an estimate of how much will be in the pot when the next wagering period ends. They calculate the net worth of a 30 payment annuity based on the cash value and that becomes the advertised jackpot of $20 million.

In other words if you have an extra $10.3 million and wanted to spread it out into payments over a 30 year period, you could buy an annuity and after 30 annual payments, you would have collected $20 million. If you choose 26 payments with the same $10.3 million, the total amount you collect over that period would be less than $20 million.

Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #48725
                        January 7, 2007
                        1953 Posts
                        Posted: October 11, 2008, 3:16 am - IP Logged

When the jackpot is at $20 million the "lump sum" or "cash value" amount represents the amount of money it takes to purchase a $20 million annuity. The Powerball annuity has 30 payments and Mega Million has 26 so MM's lump sum payoff is higher on a $20 million jackpot because the annuity term is shorter. A 26 year $20 million annuity costs more than a 30 year annuity and that why the MM cash value for the same advertised jackpot amount is higher.

Today's Powerball cash value jackpot is $10.3 million and that's an estimate of how much will be in the pot when the next wagering period ends. They calculate the net worth of a 30 payment annuity based on the cash value and that becomes the advertised jackpot of $20 million.

In other words if you have an extra $10.3 million and wanted to spread it out into payments over a 30 year period, you could buy an annuity and after 30 annual payments, you would have collected $20 million. If you choose 26 payments with the same $10.3 million, the total amount you collect over that period would be less than $20 million.

That would be a better explanation.

Gonna win.Big Smile

North Carolina
                          United States
                          Member #53121
                          June 24, 2007
                          6499 Posts
                          Posted: October 11, 2008, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

this makes sense... thank you

Quoted by favor4: