Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 3:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The wrong person won the money!

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 8 years ago by cosmotravis.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Lotto*Love's avatar - lips
Washington *state*
United States
Member #62009
June 14, 2008
192 Posts
Posted: October 9, 2008, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

So I've been buying my tickets for Wa. lotto in hopes that I can score a few good bucks, and wouldn't ya know it..my father in law just called me to tell us that he just landed 5/6 numbers for a $1,000 win.  UUGGGG!!!!!!!

Surrender You can run, but you can't hide mighty Jackpot...surrender to me at once!

United States
    Member #64434
    August 28, 2008
    31 Posts
    Posted: October 9, 2008, 10:09 pm - IP Logged

well that sucks for you! but its great for him! better him than someone you don't know... or is it? Confused

Amanda See Ya!

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
      Member #4121
      March 23, 2004
      817 Posts
      Posted: October 9, 2008, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

Winning 5/6 for $1000 is kinda small.  What is the top prize?  WTG!

Lotto*Love's avatar - lips
        Washington *state*
        United States
        Member #62009
        June 14, 2008
        192 Posts
        Posted: October 10, 2008, 12:19 am - IP Logged

Meant to elaborate on it, but my son was attacking my ankle again.

Ya, its small, but around here....its big.  Not too many win more than their money back, so was a great surprise to hear he won...again....ya....this is the second time he got 5/6.  He did it once before about 4 years ago.  So I guess he deserves it seeing if you go to his office, you'll see a huge stack of losers under his computer screen. The jackpot was I think 6.9M.  No one won, so its now 7.1M.

Happy for him I am.  We are the only 2 in the family who buy lottery tickets, and we always talk about winning the big one and what we will do.  We always talk about how many numbers we got right, and how much the jackpot is.  I was a bit jealous yes...lol  Wish I could hit a small one someday.

I was talking to my husband after he got off the phone.  Sounds stupid, but if I were to think about ever winning the big one, say like that couple from Georgia did (270M) and went through all the legal advise and collecting the money...what would you think or do the minute you left the "press conference" or whatever happens at the end.  You walk out of the building and look around you and think..."I'm a millionaire now..so what do I exactly do now?"  I think I would kinda freak out because I've spent my whole life being "poor" and the change if any...or the thought that you could change scares me.

Walking into my home, looking at all my hand me downs...and broken downs..the thought of being anything other than a hand me down recipient just feels weird.

BUT! I guess I'll just have to get used to it! BECAUSE I'm going to win someday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surrender You can run, but you can't hide mighty Jackpot...surrender to me at once!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: October 10, 2008, 12:21 am - IP Logged

Well, congrats to your father-in-law. I am sure however, that he doesn't feel like he was the wrong person to win some money.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
            Dallas, TX
            United States
            Member #60284
            April 12, 2008
            3856 Posts
            Posted: October 10, 2008, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

Numbers don't have emotions or thoughts, it acts upon random guesture and appearance. Everyone that bought a ticket will have a chance. With the odds agaisnt us here we try to narrow it down to have a better shot at the jackpot/ high tier prizes. :D

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
              Member #41383
              June 16, 2006
              1969 Posts
              Posted: October 11, 2008, 1:45 am - IP Logged

That's what I was thinking, too.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: October 11, 2008, 2:16 am - IP Logged

P6 games usually have "tiny" secondary prizes.

Our p6 (roughly)

5/6 ~$1,000

4/6 ~$40

3/6 $3

2/6 free QP

Thud

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #56506
                  November 21, 2007
                  6537 Posts
                  Posted: October 11, 2008, 11:56 am - IP Logged

It might be small, but I would love to win a prize that size.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                    A long and winding road
                    United States
                    Member #17084
                    June 10, 2005
                    4529 Posts
                    Posted: October 13, 2008, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

Sorry but name a current investment on the stockmarket that has a 1000 to one payback within a 24 hour period. It is rare and unless you own oil and control the market,you wont see it. So to the scoffers of 1k I say until you can guarantee a 1000$ turn around on a 1 dollar bill you havent the etiquette to speak of it as a low amount.  That is two car payments and tank of gas to some folks. Its 2 1/2 months of groceries , its clothing and coats , its payment for oil to heat ones house this winter.

As to not winning that amount, its  a loss of that one dollar.

In this scenario maybe the wrong person was in the right place to win the amount.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.

Philippines
                      Member #59758
                      March 26, 2008
                      5 Posts
                      Posted: October 14, 2008, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

I don't think there's a wrong person in winning.. the guy is just luckier than you.. But I like thinking, its for him at the moment, can't wait what's gonna be instore for me soon.. Wink

United States
                        Member #64434
                        August 28, 2008
                        31 Posts
                        Posted: October 14, 2008, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

i agree with what you say about freaking out at the fact that you're now a millionaire if you won! I'd be standing in my little unit thinking about how strange it is that overnight, I can have a completely different life! hmm... kinda scary!

Amanda 

cosmotravis's avatar - f ssr.jpg

United States
                          Member #65357
                          September 25, 2008
                          96 Posts
                          Posted: October 15, 2008, 9:58 am - IP Logged

the reason five numbers don't pay well in illinois

they implimented the 3/6 and started paying 3 dollars on that

most of the extra cash for five went to it

I remember when they paid 3to4k  for 5/6