Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What Game Got You Started Playing the Lottery?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Lucky Star.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: November 9, 2008, 7:32 am - IP Logged

what was the game that got you started playing the lottery?

mine was cash 3 back in the spring of 2004 here in tennessee.

DC81's avatar - batman39
    MI
    United States
    Member #54830
    August 31, 2007
    985 Posts
    Posted: November 9, 2008, 7:57 am - IP Logged

First game I personally played myself? Probably the Big Game. But I didn't play a whole lot. But the first game I "played" as in choosing the numbers or whatever was probably the Michigan lottery back in the 80s, long before I could actually pay for lottery myself. Though I do seem to remember giving a clerk the money one time, hmm...

You can't predict random.

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
      Connecticut
      United States
      Member #61623
      May 29, 2008
      20581 Posts
      Posted: November 9, 2008, 8:20 am - IP Logged

I used to buy $1 scratch off tickets like crazy in the early 90's...specific ones.I eventually hit for 2G's.Then about 3 or 4 years ago while watching the news in the morning,I randomly paid attention to the ticker that had the lottery draws and I noticed a frequency of certain numbers and said to myself..."I can do this..."

After seeing 088 and 880 go crazy one particular year,I dumped 2 bucks on it and hit 2 mos later and the addiction hath begun  LOL

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5600 Posts
        Posted: November 9, 2008, 9:28 am - IP Logged

Man it was so long ago, it's hard to remember. But I remember a few times when I was a boy my Mother would buy an Ohio lotto ticket. I can't remember if it was pick 5 or 6. Then I started playing Ohio lotto when the jackpot was 250k I think, sometime in the 1980's. I actually got 5 of 6 in the mid 1980's and won $998. That's been my biggest win so far. Not so good huh??????

beaudad's avatar - animaniacs26
          Mid Atlantic States
          United States
          Member #60043
          April 3, 2008
          1422 Posts
          Posted: November 9, 2008, 10:07 am - IP Logged

Powerball.......was the first lottery I tried playing........It was about twenty years ago....I watched the numbers on tv thought there was a pattern just with a pencil and paper twenty or thirty minutes studying it.........I came up with three numbers....played them and won 5 dollars.....naturally got distracted.....I played........about 50 dollars a YEAR.......anyway since april  this year I joined LP met a lot of good people here....and It's all GOOD..........beaudad.....

Sunny California
            United States
            Member #40295
            May 31, 2006
            7712 Posts
            Posted: November 9, 2008, 10:17 am - IP Logged

Welcome back Mike! Nice to see you again.

I just started playing the regular 6/49 for California back in 1989 when I was a young'un and worked in a liquor store selling tickets. The number field has changed over the years. That was the only lottery game we had besides Decco, I believe. (A game where you picked 4 cards) No pick 3 or 5. And only one scratch-off choice!  I used to have to stamp our store's address on every ticket in the brick, back then you could only cash it at the store you bought it at. And that's all I did all day, sit in the booth and sell tickets.The local TV station used to come in and film the customers and employees when the jackpot got high so I got my fifteen minutes already. My job would be obselete today since lottery tickets are available everywhere nowadays but it was fun while it lasted. The lottery sure has come a long way!

NBey6's avatar - pyramid
              $$ Notaphilist $$

United States
              Member #4290
              April 9, 2004
              16457 Posts
              Posted: November 9, 2008, 10:21 am - IP Logged

It was Virginia's Pick 6 game, back in 1989.

Bounce 

I am a money magnet. 

Clover Thumbs Up 

Talking Rock, GA
                United States
                Member #60369
                April 15, 2008
                398 Posts
                Posted: November 9, 2008, 10:37 am - IP Logged

What got me started playing was a $2 scratcher here in GA called Mad Money.  It was July 2nd, 2004, a few months after I graduated high school.  I was at the local fair (for the July 4th holiday) playing those machines where you drop quarters in, they fall, and a thing pushes quarters and prizes toward you (and eventually fall).  I gave up on those (after having no luck) and we went to a store, where I decided to use the rest of the dough I had for playing and bought lottery tickets (something I had never done with my own money before.....my parents rarely purchased tickets at all)......in particular, the $2 Double Lucky 7s and Mad Money.  On one of the Double Lucky 7s, IIRC, I hit double 7s in all 10 games for double all $1 prizes for $20 (or it may have been all 10 prizes for $2 with single 7s -- I don't completely remember.....I do remember winning all 10 prizes on that ticket, though).  On the Mad Money, the last one in that roll, I won $30 in the 1st tic-tac-toe-like game, $50 in the 2nd, and got the correct symbol in the bonus box for an extra $20.......for my 1st $100 winner ever.

A Gold account on Lottery Post:  $4.95

A Millionaire Jumbo Bucks scratcher:  $20

Airfare and hotel in March 2007 to see The Price Is Right before Bob Barker retired:  $600-something

Winning something to get a trip to a district office:  Priceless Big Grin

Kaptainess's avatar - hiro bird.jpg

United States
                  Member #63356
                  July 26, 2008
                  1427 Posts
                  Posted: November 9, 2008, 10:55 am - IP Logged

Way back when........I was young and played one of the multi ball games, can't remember which one, while standing in line I heard a voice that said "don't play that, play 992, put all the money you have in your pocket on 992" and I answered the voice saying - yeah right! - I had just got paid!  Well, I told the clerk to put 1.00 straight on 992 and went home.  I was watching the balls being pulled and BOOM!  A 9, a 9 and then a 2 came up!  I hit the lotto for 500 smackers!  Just think, if I had put my paycheck on that number I would still be rich! 

Yes I do still hear those friendly voices and yes they are still right.   So now I'm stuck with the lottery for extra income.  I do notice that when I'm under stress I can't hear as well, which has been the case lately, but things should smooth out soon. 

Things have settled down with the PA lotto machine change now, it was rough going there for a bit.  Has anyone else noticed the change in the rymthm of the drawings other than me?? 

Shawn67's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                    Member #45970
                    September 1, 2006
                    4763 Posts
                    Posted: November 9, 2008, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

The first $1 scratcher ever released in Oklahoma, called "Lucky 7". The most I ever won on it was $27, but it was enough to hook me. Since then I focused almost all of my efforts into the Pick-3, although I still play the occasional scratcher with little success.

Wheeler's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
                      Pittsburg, Ks
                      United States
                      Member #3382
                      January 17, 2004
                      80859 Posts
                      Posted: November 9, 2008, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

Before KS got their lottery I played the MO lottery. Weusually went to the State Line to buy scratchers. Came back home. Scratched the ticket, won $70 so we went back to collect. i also gave my friend half since she waS The one who took me there.

ineed9million's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg
                        Philadelphia, PA
                        United States
                        Member #11436
                        February 13, 2005
                        176 Posts
                        Posted: November 10, 2008, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

POWERBALL!  PA.  Now, I play Megamillions in NJ.  I've never won more than $7 on any one line.

johnph77's avatar - avatar
                          CA
                          United States
                          Member #2987
                          December 10, 2003
                          832 Posts
                          Posted: November 11, 2008, 5:10 am - IP Logged

Maryland Keno, back in the late '80s. Developed the spreadsheet with the odds, payouts and payout percentages. Haven't stopped doing that since.

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

United States
                            Member #66338
                            October 22, 2008
                            25 Posts
                            Posted: November 11, 2008, 9:43 am - IP Logged

FL Fantasy 5 back in 1997

Sun Smiley

JAP69's avatar - alas
                              South Carolina
                              United States
                              Member #6