Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Site Improvements

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 8 years ago by JonnyBgood07.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23274 Posts
Posted: November 15, 2008, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

Had been using IE exclusively. Lord have mercy, what a world of difference by installing fire-fox ....

Thanks Todd..! 

Indeed!

Now that I've turned you on to Firefox, it's your job to help someone else see what they're missing! Wink

Not that I hate IE — I personally use IE7 and IE8 about 80% of the time — but for people with slow connections, slow networks, or a slow computer, stepping up to Firefox is like someone just flipped a switch and made your computer operate twice as fast.

For me personally, I don't see as big of an improvement as other people, because my job requires that I use very powerful computers.  (Some day I should blog about the subject...)  So I see everything running quickly.  But even for a powerful computer, with Firefox, and especially Google Chrome, I can see a nice boost in performance — especially when doing something like dragging around a popup window (like a ratings window).

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
    Dallas, TX
    United States
    Member #60284
    April 12, 2008
    3856 Posts
    Posted: November 15, 2008, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

Slight speed increase here too, using FireFox. I am still waiting on Google dev team to release the Mac version of Chrome.

Thanks Todd.

Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23274 Posts
      Posted: November 15, 2008, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

Slight speed increase here too, using FireFox. I am still waiting on Google dev team to release the Mac version of Chrome.

Thanks Todd.

I'm surprised that they haven't, especially since Chrome is built on WebKit, which is the Safari engine.  I think the thing holding them up is that they built a brand new JavaScript engine and are doing interesting things with multi-tasking.

Pogo's avatar - wfl
        NC
        United States
        Member #29378
        January 1, 2006
        552 Posts
        Posted: November 15, 2008, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

Seems good to me running FireFox 3.0.3... Thanks as usual, Pogo

Pogo's avatar - wfl
          NC
          United States
          Member #29378
          January 1, 2006
          552 Posts
          Posted: November 15, 2008, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

Trying it on Google Chrome 0.3.154.9 and it seems great too... Excellent, Excellent, Excellent, Pogo

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
            Texas
            United States
            Member #55889
            October 23, 2007
            5611 Posts
            Posted: November 15, 2008, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

Well, a couple weeks ago the pages wouldn't load completely, or the progress bar at the bottom wouldn't finish completely, and it was rather slow. Whatever you did worked for me, it's much faster and no probs loading pages. I thought maybe it was my computer, but I guess not.

Todd, thanks for all the work you do. It's running great for me now.

BTW, I use Firefox if that means anything.

dx123's avatar - white face.jpg
              somewhere
              Canada
              Member #39919
              May 24, 2006
              150 Posts
              Posted: November 15, 2008, 10:43 pm - IP Logged

Hello Todd>>>

Browser-FF3.0.4 with XP SP3 [always the latest] 2G's of Dual RAM. 19" LG Flatron @ 2000:1 res with 5ms in digital mode. I have noticed a very slight slowness today upon reading your top thread-not as brisk as yesterday logging on site, but steady loads throughout the site pages you have here. 'Cut and paste' not set yet in FF...don't know why the folks at Mozilla won't incorporate that little file for us. Abandoned IE years ago. Color, fonts, small detail .gifs -perfect resolution and clarity-no distortion. Post 'preview' did not load fully-so a reload current page took care of that-did not loose the 'message' on return-which was a nice surprize!!!

If I can add this one note to you>>>is it possible for the LP program to remember the font type, size and color when I or anyone member want to post? Be nice to have the habbit remembered for the next time. Hyper Any thoughts on adding an English dictionary?

yt

dx123

Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23274 Posts
                Posted: November 16, 2008, 1:10 am - IP Logged

Well, a couple weeks ago the pages wouldn't load completely, or the progress bar at the bottom wouldn't finish completely, and it was rather slow. Whatever you did worked for me, it's much faster and no probs loading pages. I thought maybe it was my computer, but I guess not.

Todd, thanks for all the work you do. It's running great for me now.

BTW, I use Firefox if that means anything.

The work I did was directly in response to a few complaints I received that were exactly like yours, so I am happy beyond words that the changes have succeeded in fixing that issue!

Since I was personally unable to reproduce the issue, no matter how hard I tried, and however many different platforms I tried, I was still certain that something was amiss, because there was more than one of these reports.  Not too many, but they were consistent.

After many unsuccessful attempts to reproduce the problem, I just started analyzing byte-by-byte what was being sent back and forth between a browser and the server for each request.  By doing this, I was able to pick out various things that were not quite right, and while web browsers don't have a problem with little, insignificant variations like what I was finding, I am figuring that somehow a combination of these things was affecting certain people.

If that sounds tedious, well, it was.  But it was really not as hard as actually fixing those things, since they are not normally something that web developers get particularly concerned with.

There are still a few other pieces I have to examine for any possible problems, but the liklihood of a problem is much lower now.  I guess we'll find out.

Thanks very much for letting me know about your experience!

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23274 Posts
                  Posted: November 16, 2008, 1:39 am - IP Logged

Hello Todd>>>

Browser-FF3.0.4 with XP SP3 [always the latest] 2G's of Dual RAM. 19" LG Flatron @ 2000:1 res with 5ms in digital mode. I have noticed a very slight slowness today upon reading your top thread-not as brisk as yesterday logging on site, but steady loads throughout the site pages you have here. 'Cut and paste' not set yet in FF...don't know why the folks at Mozilla won't incorporate that little file for us. Abandoned IE years ago. Color, fonts, small detail .gifs -perfect resolution and clarity-no distortion. Post 'preview' did not load fully-so a reload current page took care of that-did not loose the 'message' on return-which was a nice surprize!!!

If I can add this one note to you>>>is it possible for the LP program to remember the font type, size and color when I or anyone member want to post? Be nice to have the habbit remembered for the next time. Hyper Any thoughts on adding an English dictionary?

yt

dx123

After I install an upgrade on the site, you will ALWAYS (cannot emphasize enough — always) have a slightly longer load time the first time you load a page.  That's because your computer is getting the latest code that I just installed on the server!

However, each time you return to that page will be much, much quicker, because of the way I have built the pages — your computer does not have to download the code that "operates" the page each time.  That is where that magical word "cache" comes into play.  The program code that operates the page is "cached" (saved) in the temporary internet files on your computer, and will not be requested from the server again, unless either I install a new update, or you clear your cache.

So, again, if you experience a pause when you first load a page (or first load it after an update), that is completely normal, and is unavoidable.  I have reduced and compressed it to the very smallest amount of time possible.

The next time, and each future time, you visit that page, it will load extremely quickly.  (Unless, of course, you're opening a page that contains lots of new content every time, like a state predictions page.)

Regarding your question with the default fonts, I have considered it, but it is admittedly low on the priority list.  The default font is somewhat of a Web standard, and frankly is the most universally readable.  (Of course, everyone has their own favorite, but I'm talking about the entire Web population as a whole.) 

My "official" stance on fonts is that I ecourage people to use the standard font that loads in the editor for all normal discussion, and to ephasize, highlight, and sparingly utilize the additional fonts. 

When you choose a different font, what looks perfectly readable to you is unreadable to someone else.  But lots of studies have shown that the font you're reading right here in my post (Verdana, 10pt) is arguably the easiest to read for the most people.

A great example of this is the "Comic Sans MS" font.  Lots of people here (including me) think it's highly readable.  But if you Google it, you will also find a large segment of people who just plain hate the font.  Now picture the thousands of people who will view your post:  some will find it readable, while others will be like, "Yuck."

The bottom line is that the default font is setup to encourage people to use the most universally-readable font.

But you are basically free to do what you want in the posts.

Just try not to shout a lot.  Smile

Thanks for the great feedback! Thumbs Up

sysp34's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                    Heroic City
                    Indonesia
                    Member #31689
                    February 2, 2006
                    1153 Posts
                    Posted: November 16, 2008, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

the speed HyperHyperHyperincrease more faster than used to be Chief Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

Et erunt signa in sole.......Et luna et stellis.......Et presura gentium
                    Prae confusione sonitus maris.

Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23274 Posts
                      Posted: November 17, 2008, 1:12 am - IP Logged

I just implemented round two of this update.  There were a few more things that I found (and were identified) after the last update, including:

• Fixed fairly major bug with the Simple Codes editor that corrupted much or all of any message post that contained a left-angle bracket.  This also affected Preview for any such message post.
                      • Fixed a bug the caused Safari to show error pages in the Lottery Results search engine (thanks sysp34 for identifying this and working with me on it).
                      • Updated some of the buttons and links on the Lottery Results search engine page.
                      • Updated styles on several pages throughout the site to conform to site-wide standards.
                      • Fixed bug that made the Rich Text Edtor's HTML window too small to read.

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                        Portland,Oregon
                        United States
                        Member #14387
                        April 25, 2005
                        229 Posts
                        Posted: November 17, 2008, 4:28 am - IP Logged

OK, great, thanks for the feedback.  I also appreciate the notes on your browser/OS setups.  Those using Firefox, three cheers to you, because you're experiencing the site much faster than IE users.  As I'm sure you have found out, Firefox speeds up ALL web sites, but especially complex ones like Lottery Post.

Also, if you're ever in the mood to try a different browser and you want something FAST, you gotta try Google Chrome.  It has -- by far -- the fastest JavaScript engine of any web browser, and renders the pages incredibly fast. 

Anyone who uses IE exclusively would be SHOCKED to see how much faster they could view Lottery Post simply by using Google Chrome (or Firefox 3.0) -- with no other changes to their computer.  I know that Duck had that reaction when she tried it.  (Duck, try clearing the cookies in Firefox to clear up that login issue.  Don't forget, if you use more than one PC, if you Log Off on one of them, the other one will be logged off too.)

Google Chrome: http://www.google.com/chrome

Firefox 3.0: http://www.firefox.com/

And one more browser that keeps getting better:

Opera 9.6: http://www.opera.com/

WOW you sure are right about the Google Chrome browser! Firefox is great but Chrome is positively lighning speed :)Hurray!DanceType

Poke  hey IE you awake?

edited to add: even folks avatars look better with Chrome ... brighter and clearer 

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

sysp34's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                          Heroic City
                          Indonesia
                          Member #31689
                          February 2, 2006
                          1153 Posts
                          Posted: November 17, 2008, 8:40 am - IP Logged

I just implemented round two of this update.  There were a few more things that I found (and were identified) after the last update, including:

• Fixed fairly major bug with the Simple Codes editor that corrupted much or all of any message post that contained a left-angle bracket.  This also affected Preview for any such message post.
                          • Fixed a bug the caused Safari to show error pages in the Lottery Results search engine (thanks sysp34 for identifying this and working with me on it).
                          • Updated some of the buttons and links on the Lottery Results search engine page.
                          • Updated styles on several pages throughout the site to conform to site-wide standards.

way to go chief it seem the bug from safari disappear and awesome button on new search so we don't need to press back button on browser in order to get new search like i did in prior step Hurray!Hyper

Et erunt signa in sole.......Et luna et stellis.......Et presura gentium
                          Prae confusione sonitus maris.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                            Member #4877
                            May 30, 2004
                            5124 Posts
                            Posted: November 17, 2008, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

PartyDance

Nice Job>>>>>>U paved D road 2

D Lottery Post!No moe pothole^

May I say thanks 2 spsp34 too!

"T@@D U-MAKE IT L@@K EA$Y" !!!

OK>>>>keep-it a secretPukeDance

THANK'ssssssssss

PSYKOMO

ljohn1's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                              Jackson,Tennessee
                              United States
                              Member #39549
                              May 18, 2006
                              829 Posts
                              Posted: November 18, 2008, 12:25 am - IP Logged

Big difference for me Todd, I am running windows xp and pages are loading faster for the first time. Thanks for all that you do to inpove the site.