Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Office lottery pool

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 8 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

How many people buy lotto tickets in a pool with fellow co-workers?

I only buy my own tickets, I don't them [ 12 ]  [60.00%]
I join my office pool and track with Excel [ 2 ]  [10.00%]
I join my office pool and just trust them [ 6 ]  [30.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 20 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
san diego
United States
Member #67441
November 26, 2008
2 Posts
Posted: November 26, 2008, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

I was just curious. My apologies if this has already been asked a thousand times. I honestly did a search before posting this. I am considering joining my office pool and wanted to see if many people out there do this on a normal basis, and how they track it exactly. Thanks for your advice.

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49699 Posts
    Posted: November 26, 2008, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

You have to ask yourself: If the Office Lottery Pool Wins and I'm NOT in it can I handle that?

Let your conscience be your guide!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
      Member #58528
      February 18, 2008
      710 Posts
      Posted: November 26, 2008, 1:34 pm - IP Logged

You have to ask yourself:Does the office Lottery pool have so many people in it that my share of a winning jackpot won't allow me to retire?

I NEVER join lottery pools.I'm greedy and don't like sharing with others.

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
        CT
        United States
        Member #61398
        May 21, 2008
        781 Posts
        Posted: November 26, 2008, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

You have to ask yourself:Does the office Lottery pool have so many people in it that my share of a winning jackpot won't allow me to retire?

I NEVER join lottery pools.I'm greedy and don't like sharing with others.

I wouldn't pass on joining a lottery pool just because I wouldn't be able to retire if the group won.  Paying off all of your bills and affording a nice house and car with cash would also be worth the few $ per week investment.

I play in an office pool with 18 people and we track tickets and statistics in an excel spreadsheet and also on a website we created/run. $5/week each.

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8360 Posts
          Posted: November 26, 2008, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

I only get involved in a pool when the jackpot gets over a 100 million dollars and no more than ten people are in the pool everyone must all decide to take the cash option.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
            tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
            Member #47420
            November 4, 2006
            3930 Posts
            Posted: November 26, 2008, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

I use to run a pool at the office where I worked with 4 others sharing 3 weeks of the month..I'd join but NEVER run a pool again..To much work and to much to worry about..Good luck if you join and win!!..

New Jersey
              United States
              Member #17843
              June 28, 2005
              49699 Posts
              Posted: November 26, 2008, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't pass on joining a lottery pool just because I wouldn't be able to retire if the group won.  Paying off all of your bills and affording a nice house and car with cash would also be worth the few $ per week investment.

I play in an office pool with 18 people and we track tickets and statistics in an excel spreadsheet and also on a website we created/run. $5/week each.

I Agree!

A Lottery Player: Has To Know His Limitations!

New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                49699 Posts
                Posted: November 26, 2008, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

I was just curious. My apologies if this has already been asked a thousand times. I honestly did a search before posting this. I am considering joining my office pool and wanted to see if many people out there do this on a normal basis, and how they track it exactly. Thanks for your advice.

How many people will be in the Office Lottery Pool and how much will be contributed by each Lottery Pool Member?

san diego
                  United States
                  Member #67441
                  November 26, 2008
                  2 Posts
                  Posted: November 26, 2008, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

thanks everyone for your advice. my office has about 7-8 consistent pool members. they each contribute $1-$5. they use a website (i'd post it, but i'm not supposed to post websites, says the rules) but i'm curious if anyone else uses. it does the basic tracking and you can post the tickets so your group has access to them. my old office used excel. the issue i have with excel is, it's on one guy's computer, and one guy keeps the tickets. copies are distributed but i wasn't sure if i could trust them. pitching in a $1 or two can't hurt. but if one bad apple decided to screw the rest, that would hurt. losing a few bucks doesn't matter, it's not being able to get your share of the thousands or millions.

New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #17843
                    June 28, 2005
                    49699 Posts
                    Posted: November 26, 2008, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

For Additional Discussion on this Topic:

http://www.lotterypost.com/search?q=%22lottery+pool%22&t=all

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                      Idaho
                      United States
                      Member #56506
                      November 21, 2007
                      6537 Posts
                      Posted: November 27, 2008, 1:46 am - IP Logged

I don't play in lottery pools, I just play on my own. I am not against them or anything, I just happen to like to play by myself.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
                        Connecticut
                        United States
                        Member #61623
                        May 29, 2008
                        20581 Posts
                        Posted: November 27, 2008, 7:07 am - IP Logged

would this apply to ones state 6 digit lottery?...At my work we have a pool and pick as many sets of numbers as we want(in my case I have 2 sets at 2 dollars a week)....first person to match all 6 of thiers wins...usually takes 3weeks/or 6 draws

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

johnph77's avatar - avatar
                          CA
                          United States
                          Member #2987
                          December 10, 2003
                          832 Posts
                          Posted: November 27, 2008, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

Can of worms, at best, unless a legal agreement is in effect. Check the old news stories of what happens when the pool hits and someone says, "I told them I wanted in but I don't remember if I paid or not." By the time the lawyers sort it out and get their share there are a lot of bitter feelings.....

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                            Indiana
                            United States
                            Member #48725
                            January 7, 2007
                            1953 Posts
                            Posted: November 28, 2008, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

I won't organize the pool myself, but if I am asked to play in a pool, then I will.

Gonna win.Big Smile

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                              adelaide sa
                              Australia
                              Member #37136
                              April 11, 2006
                              3300 Posts
                              Posted: November 29, 2008, 12:12 am - IP Logged

i had a job in an office once, they was a disshevilled old grumpy man. he didnt talk much, and only use dotg mummble to himself.

all us younguns got jobs there when an office pool won the lottery and they all retired. the old grump was the only person who didnt play in the pool.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297