Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Proof you should not spend a lot of money on lottery tickets

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 8 years ago by JackpotWanna.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
San Diego, CA
United States
Member #58386
February 12, 2008
287 Posts
Posted: November 29, 2008, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

I have been playing the lottery with my own sets of numbers for over 10 years.  I was buying between 20 and 200 tickets for every drawing during that time.  For a drawing in May of this year, I purchased 165 tickets at a liquor store. I found out that a jackpot winning ticket for that drawing was purchased in the store where I bought my tickets.   The winner HAD to be me. Right?  I had been playing over 10 years using my own numbers that I thought gave me a better chance of winning.   I estimated that more than likely the most number of tickets someone bought was 20.  How could anyone else have won? No one had worked harder than I did to win a jackpot.  This was my time.

Well, I was not the winner.  Someone had bought 1 quick pick and won the jackpot of 40 million.  The store owner told me that a total of 265 tickets had been purchased for that drawing.  I had 165 of them.

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
    Kunming
    China
    Member #57910
    January 23, 2008
    3626 Posts
    Posted: November 29, 2008, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

I have been playing the lottery with my own sets of numbers for over 10 years.  I was buying between 20 and 200 tickets for every drawing during that time.  For a drawing in May of this year, I purchased 165 tickets at a liquor store. I found out that a jackpot winning ticket for that drawing was purchased in the store where I bought my tickets.   The winner HAD to be me. Right?  I had been playing over 10 years using my own numbers that I thought gave me a better chance of winning.   I estimated that more than likely the most number of tickets someone bought was 20.  How could anyone else have won? No one had worked harder than I did to win a jackpot.  This was my time.

Well, I was not the winner.  Someone had bought 1 quick pick and won the jackpot of 40 million.  The store owner told me that a total of 265 tickets had been purchased for that drawing.  I had 165 of them.

You sound a little pisst off? All it takes is one.

Play to win!

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
      Republic of Texas
      United States
      Member #57557
      January 9, 2008
      1095 Posts
      Posted: November 29, 2008, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

Bummer.

My attitude is it's not your win to win. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten up from a slot machine only to see later someone else sitting there at "my" machine waiting for a hand pay. Well, it wasn't my win to win, no reason to get upset or frustrated.

I will tell you, too, that I buy 5 tickets per MM drawing, all quick picks on separate tickets, and sometimes separate stores.  When one hits, it will be called a 1 quick pick win.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1953 Posts
        Posted: November 29, 2008, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

That's not really a reason to not spend a lot on the lottery. A person should definitely not spend more than they can afford. In your case, although I would have hoped it would have been me, I know it only takes 1 to win, and even with 165 tickets, there's still the possibility that I might not have won even though the winner was from that store. One time when Powerball was $300M, I spent $50 and didn't win anything. That's right, I didn't even hit the Powerball, of which there were 42, because I had repeated Powerball's on my QPs. I was bummed a little, but oh well. That's the lottery for you.

Gonna win.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19828 Posts
          Posted: November 29, 2008, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

"No one had worked harder than I did to win a jackpot.  This was my time."

What is so hard about buying a bunch of lottery tickets?  If you had a system that picked a bunch of combinations to play, it shouldn't have taken 10 years to figure out it didn't work.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: November 29, 2008, 8:44 pm - IP Logged

Sorry.  Sometimes that why I think I should only purchase quick picks. Then, if I skip a week or 2, I won't worry that my numbers might be drawn. 

I've also been playing for a long time, over 30 years in 3 states.   I always read the press releases in Florida, and many times the winner hit with a free play.  Sometime, if the winner is willing to be interviewed, he will say "Gee, I asked for a Fantasy 5 ticket and I got a Mega Money instead, so I kept it!"  So it's all luck. 

Don't be discouraged, however.  Maybe your time to win is just around the corner.  Still, I agree with your subject title.  Nobody should ever spend too much on the lottery, especially if he cannot afford it.  There are never any guarantees, just hope.

I agree with RJOh.  It's not what I'd call "work."  If it is work to you, then maybe you need to take a break.  Gambling should be fun.  When it becomes much more than that, it often indicates there's a deeper problem.

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
              Member #28409
              December 15, 2005
              1198 Posts
              Posted: November 29, 2008, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

Well did you win anything at all?

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

San Diego, CA
                United States
                Member #58386
                February 12, 2008
                287 Posts
                Posted: November 29, 2008, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

That's not really a reason to not spend a lot on the lottery. A person should definitely not spend more than they can afford. In your case, although I would have hoped it would have been me, I know it only takes 1 to win, and even with 165 tickets, there's still the possibility that I might not have won even though the winner was from that store. One time when Powerball was $300M, I spent $50 and didn't win anything. That's right, I didn't even hit the Powerball, of which there were 42, because I had repeated Powerball's on my QPs. I was bummed a little, but oh well. That's the lottery for you.

It wasn't just 165 tickets that drawing.  It had been a significant amount over 10 years.  It wasn't 165 for every drawing though.

San Diego, CA
                  United States
                  Member #58386
                  February 12, 2008
                  287 Posts
                  Posted: November 29, 2008, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

"No one had worked harder than I did to win a jackpot.  This was my time."

What is so hard about buying a bunch of lottery tickets?  If you had a system that picked a bunch of combinations to play, it shouldn't have taken 10 years to figure out it didn't work.

It is not difficult buying tickets. I spend a lot of time analyzing the numbers drawn.  That is the whole point of this thread.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                    Harbinger
                    D.C./MD.
                    United States
                    Member #44103
                    July 30, 2006
                    5583 Posts
                    Posted: November 29, 2008, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

I don't know what the hypothesis was initially, but proof is stating that a conclusion has been reached.  If you feel your hypothesis has been proved and therefore concluded, congratulations.

I would ask though: What was your best hit? Assuming the hypothesis was being able to strike a jackpot using your own analyzed numbers.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      49758 Posts
                      Posted: November 29, 2008, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

Have You played since May? If You are still playing: Are You Buying Quick Picks Now?

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Kidzmom's avatar - cold
                        NC
                        United States
                        Member #11741
                        February 23, 2005
                        1233 Posts
                        Posted: November 29, 2008, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

This is why I use my own numbers and I use an equal amount of QP's so when it is my time, I will be good.

I look at it this way, if someone else won it then it was not my time and only God knows when that is and either way.  It's all fun.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                          Tx
                          United States
                          Member #4570
                          May 4, 2004
                          5180 Posts
                          Posted: November 29, 2008, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

You said that you never won a jackpot with your numbers, but you didn't say how good or bad you have done with the lower prizes.

But you should not play jackpot games to win on the lower prizes, only to win the jackpot.

To win some money you should play the pick 3 game, not jackpot games.

If you didn't win lower prizes often, you should had known that you can't pick winning numbers and that you was wasting your money, no need to wait 10 years to know that.

When a person can't pick good numbers then either quit or just buy quick picks and save yourself some trouble even if you still never win anyway.

Quick picks are better than numbers that are not chosen right.

On the pick 3 game I know how to pick numbers that will not very often win, in that case I should pick the numbers that I know that have a better chance of winning or just buy quick picks, the quick picks will be between the other two.

Yes, it is possible to pick numbers that have about the same chance of winning as quick picks and also it is possible to pick numbers that have a lower chance of winning than quick picks.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19828 Posts
                            Posted: November 29, 2008, 10:44 pm - IP Logged

It is not difficult buying tickets. I spend a lot of time analyzing the numbers drawn.  That is the whole point of this thread.

I too have spent time over the years analyzing numbers drawn in several lotteries that I play and I ran tests on paper that convinced me that playing more than 20-30 lines per drawing with my knowledge was a waste of money.  Since it was a hobby, I didn't consider it hard work and I spent less than some people spend on cigarettes and beer.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                              Member #13130
                              March 30, 2005
                              2171 Posts
                              Posted: November 29, 2008, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

It's not the number of your tickets. It's the numbers on your tickets. Jester

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.