Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 7:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Nightmare Lottery Scenario

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 8 years ago by ThatScaryChick.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Northern Ohio
United States
Member #63551
August 1, 2008
203 Posts
Posted: December 2, 2008, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

Imagine you buy some lottery tickets. Let's say MegaMillions or PowerBall with a 9 digit payout. You stuff the tickets in your jacket and head to the bar. You have a few beers and see some friends. Hey there Jake! What, you want to do a shot? Ok you crazy &#($*#@ the first round is on you. Hey, there's Tom! Tom, come over here, the next round's on me! Oh, there's Joe's ex, Janet. Janet! Tom here wants to buy us Irish Car Bombs! Come on over!

Etc you get the idea.

Then you find out you get the winning numbers on your phone and see that you won! You don't tell anyone but discreetly celebrate. Shots for everyone on me!

You decide to get in the car and eventually you get pulled over. You blow 2x over the legal limit whatever it is in your state (here it's .08). Of course they charge you with a DUI and take you off to jail. As you know, all your posessions get taken, including the lottery ticket. Well, what if one of the cops at County decides to discreetly take the lottery ticket without booking it as your posession?

Then of course as you know, posession's 9/10 of the law. It's his (a police officer) word against yours (a possible soon to be convicted drunken driver).

Can you imagine yourself in this predicament?

Of course, if I found out I won the lottery while I was off getting drunk at the bar I would immediately stop drinking and call a cab back home. I'd get up first thing in the morning and head to the safe deposit box in the bank.

But geez...I'm surprised something like that hasn't happened yet.

bobby623's avatar - abstract
    San Angelo, Texas
    United States
    Member #1097
    January 31, 2003
    1405 Posts
    Posted: December 2, 2008, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

All lotteries stress that winners should SIGN their tickets.

Cops not likely to steal a ticket with a signature!

Pinkpansies's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg

United States
      Member #58857
      February 27, 2008
      112 Posts
      Posted: December 2, 2008, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

You wouldn't have to be as worried as you think.  First of all, the very next day you could tell the lottery commission that your ticket was stolen.  So when the cop, or if the cop is trying to be smart and sneaky, the cop's friend or family member, comes in to claim the winnings the the lottery would have a few questions for them.

First, What store did you purchase the ticket at?  What time of day was it?  How did you pick your numbers?

Second, they would also check any security camera footage that the store selling the ticket had.

So given the fact that you would be able to tell them where and when the ticket was purchased and it would be your face on the video camera, it would be very difficult for the cop to claim the prize as his; because he probably wouldn't be able to give them the information they needed.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10390 Posts
        Posted: December 3, 2008, 2:54 am - IP Logged

Jimhowlett,

Good story idea, but pinkpansies is right. In fact, if I remember right, there was a case in California where a store clerk had kept a winning ticket from a player (telling them it was a loser), but the clerk didn't have the right answers to the questions the lottery commission asked.

How about we do this with your story idea;

The bar that the guy with the lottery winning ticket has is in Roswell, New Mexico. One of the people in the bar is an alien, knockes the guy out, takes the ticket, and shapeshifts to llok juszt like the guy. Being an alien, he does amental probe of the guy's mind, and thus will have all the right answers for the lottery people.

The alien presents the ticket, gets paid, and disappears.

Then the actual guy who bought the ticket sees the article in the paper about "him" winnig the lotto, including his picture, and tries explainign all this to everybody!

"I was in a bar in Roswell, checked my numbers, and this guy looked at me and kind of "glowed". That's the last thing I remembered. Then when I came to, I saw the story in the paper."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

charmed7's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
          MICHIGAN
          United States
          Member #65282
          September 22, 2008
          2006 Posts
          Posted: December 3, 2008, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

Drinking and Driving is a NO NO with me. I have seen too many

people go through the PAIN of DUI's.  If i go to the bar, i drink virgin

drinks, so if i get pulled over. I always say i'm legal.

Celebrate when u get home,less complicated.

Texas Joey's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg
            Katy, Tx
            United States
            Member #67709
            December 3, 2008
            204 Posts
            Posted: December 11, 2008, 2:00 am - IP Logged

I have heard of that happening before.  However now the Stores here in Texas have cameras set up to watch the Lottery Machines and they know the time and discription of the purchaser of the ticket.  California has the same so it means one is less likely to loose a ticket.  I think all states should have tapes of players and lottery machines. 

Drinking and driving is a no no he should call a cab if he is too drunk to drive home.

No Pity!

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
              Member #4121
              March 23, 2004
              817 Posts
              Posted: December 11, 2008, 9:22 am - IP Logged

I agree, signing all tickets would save a lot of heartache.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #56506
                November 21, 2007
                6537 Posts
                Posted: December 11, 2008, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

Can you imagine yourself in this predicament?

Nope I can't. One, because I don't go to bars anymore. Two, after I buy my tickets and I go home, they go into a pouch and sit on my desk. I don't carry them around with me all day.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."