Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 1:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

what if two winners won the lottery

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 8 years ago by guesser.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #61785
June 4, 2008
33 Posts
Posted: December 3, 2008, 10:16 pm - IP Logged

lets say two people won the megga millions jack pot right now.One wanted to keep annonomyous and the other wanted to share name and info including a press release.

Would both have to do the press release etc. or just the one that wants it?

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
    Republic of Texas
    United States
    Member #57557
    January 9, 2008
    1095 Posts
    Posted: December 3, 2008, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

Do you mean two people sharing one ticket?

Not sure if this question has relevance as very few states allow MM winner to stay anonymous.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
      CT
      United States
      Member #61398
      May 21, 2008
      781 Posts
      Posted: December 4, 2008, 12:03 am - IP Logged

Both winners are completely seperate (assuming different tickets, not splitting one) so if they were able to remain anonymous, there would be no problem with one going that route, and the other staying public.

charmed7's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
        MICHIGAN
        United States
        Member #65282
        September 22, 2008
        1992 Posts
        Posted: December 4, 2008, 5:15 am - IP Logged

separate tickets, separate choice.  You don't have to go public, if

u choose not too.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: December 4, 2008, 10:46 am - IP Logged

separate tickets, separate choice.  You don't have to go public, if

u choose not too.

Your second sentence isn't completely true. It depends on what state you reside in. Only a few states allow complete anonymity. Most will require to give out your name and or what state and city you live in.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3474 Posts
            Posted: December 4, 2008, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

Even if the rules require your name and home town to be released, you can't be required to give a press conference just because somebody else chooses to. Either winners are required to hold a press conference, or they're not reqired to. Why a state would require somebody to hold a press conference when they would have no control over what you say escapes me. I suspect that the rules only require that winners *attend* the ceremony where your picture is taken with the big, fake check.

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
              Member #28409
              December 15, 2005
              1198 Posts
              Posted: December 4, 2008, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

That's a good question, and I'm glad you asked it.  I'm glad others' had the answers too. 

I believe they are right on this one.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

United States
                Member #61785
                June 4, 2008
                33 Posts
                Posted: December 4, 2008, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

ive just always wondered that.

and hell, with the jackpot being so high, i wouldnt mind sharing with another player if they won.wouldnt dent my dreams a bit.

i just didnt know if they woul have forced ya to do something or not.

im in cali for the time being and i wouldnt want to let everyone know that i won.thats a no no.

DC81's avatar - batman39
                  MI
                  United States
                  Member #54830
                  August 31, 2007
                  985 Posts
                  Posted: December 4, 2008, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't mind if that winner comes forward first and makes a spectacle of themselves, leaving all the attention off me or the method I used to claim it. Really, have we heard anything from the other threes winners that split the nearly 300M Jackpot that David Edwards won a piece of?

Just for the heck of it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/08/22/national/main307621.shtml

Well, I guess one of the other winners had some legal issues from being in a lottery pool but was supposedly settled due to the difference in the times the difference in time the tickets were printed, not like they really brought attention on themselves like Edwards did. Other than that, I don't know. Time to do more digging.

You can't predict random.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                    Member #41383
                    June 16, 2006
                    1969 Posts
                    Posted: December 5, 2008, 12:53 am - IP Logged

Even if the rules require your name and home town to be released, you can't be required to give a press conference just because somebody else chooses to. Either winners are required to hold a press conference, or they're not reqired to. Why a state would require somebody to hold a press conference when they would have no control over what you say escapes me. I suspect that the rules only require that winners *attend* the ceremony where your picture is taken with the big, fake check.

They don't 'require' you to give a press conference, they suggest it is a good idea to, because if you don't, the media will hound you until you talk to them.  Trust me, I know this.