Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:36 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Claiming with a Trust but securing ticket with name

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 8 years ago by YeeHaw.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #68516
December 23, 2008
2 Posts
Posted: December 23, 2008, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

i live in california which i think makes me ineligible to claim jackpots anonymously, unless i use something like a trust. up til now, i have been signing my tickets as soon as possible to make sure no one else can claim my ticket in case i won. the problem with this is if i happen to win, i have to claim it in my name. is it possible to secure my ticket by writing my name somewhere on it, then if i won, i could set up a trust and write its name on the ticket? and if anyone has information on how to setup organizations to claim the jackpot safely and anonymously that would be nice. thank you.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    CA
    United States
    Member #57222
    December 23, 2007
    587 Posts
    Posted: December 23, 2008, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

i live in california which i think makes me ineligible to claim jackpots anonymously, unless i use something like a trust. up til now, i have been signing my tickets as soon as possible to make sure no one else can claim my ticket in case i won. the problem with this is if i happen to win, i have to claim it in my name. is it possible to secure my ticket by writing my name somewhere on it, then if i won, i could set up a trust and write its name on the ticket? and if anyone has information on how to setup organizations to claim the jackpot safely and anonymously that would be nice. thank you.

NO, Kippy,

I live in CA also and called the Lottery office  months ago to verify that a single person can claim anonymously and does not have to  claim as trust or LLC.  Unless  something's changed since then, it remains.  Not sure of the post, but we were asked to call or state offices and I did.  If anyone can find that posts, maybe it can help Kippykinkel.

YeeHaw's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
      California
      United States
      Member #43591
      July 22, 2006
      9 Posts
      Posted: December 23, 2008, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

If your main objective is to secure your ticket then you can sign the back of your ticket with the name of a trust.  No one can claim a ticket with out having the paperwork for that trust.  But that would be a gamble.  If you won a small amount, then you would have to form a trust and bring paperwork from that trust to the lottery office.