Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 2:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If a sibling of yours won a lottery jackpot, how much would you expect to be given?

Topic closed. 58 replies. Last post 8 years ago by L J1.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

How much would you expect to be given?

$0 [ 57 ]  [63.33%]
$1-$10,000 [ 12 ]  [13.33%]
$10,001-$50,000 [ 7 ]  [7.78%]
>$50,000 [ 14 ]  [15.56%]
Total Valid Votes [ 90 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
CA
United States
Member #57222
December 23, 2007
587 Posts
Posted: December 27, 2008, 7:40 am - IP Logged

I would expect a small amount.  I put $10,000.  I am close with my brother and sister.  If I was not close with them, I would expect nothing.

It is beyond me how anyone could expect more than this

I wouldn't expect a dime.  And probably wouldn't get a dime.  I only speak regularly to one sister and she doesnt play.

grengrad's avatar - nw rogue.jpg
    Raleigh
    United States
    Member #49057
    January 17, 2007
    172 Posts
    Posted: December 27, 2008, 10:04 am - IP Logged

The size of the jackpot would obviously make a big difference.

Assuming a Powerball jackpot of $50,000,000, I know I would give my brother $1,000,000.

I checked with my brother and he said he would not give anyone any money, but would buy me a house and car of my choice up to $300,000 in value.

dphillips's avatar - littleuns
      Albuquerque, New Mexico
      United States
      Member #5128
      June 18, 2004
      377 Posts
      Posted: December 27, 2008, 10:14 am - IP Logged

Whether the winnings are a small amount or a large amount, no sibling should expect anything unless the sibling is disabled, period! 

What in the world has gone wrong with this present generation with the expectation of hand-outs -- just because of one's relationship to another.  This 'give me' attitude is too pervasive in our Amercian culture -- and I can't speak about other countries and their cultures.

Finally, what is wrong with purchasing a lottery ticket for your siblings because they may hit the jackpot, too.

See Ya!-- Bye, bye!  When you win, may you glow as brightly as theSun Smiley

AriesDaRam's avatar - nw gingfighter.jpg
        Stone Mtn
        United States
        Member #64518
        August 30, 2008
        1157 Posts
        Posted: December 27, 2008, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't expect anything, and I wouldn't turn it down either. It's just the two of us. My brother & I are close, so he would probably just give me something anyway. He hasn't won the jackpot, but he always buy me things. Although I'm grown & married with children now, it hasn't changed a thing. It would just be like an ordinary day!

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
          Republic of Texas
          United States
          Member #57557
          January 9, 2008
          1095 Posts
          Posted: December 27, 2008, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

I would not expect anything, and I would like to think that my sisters feel the same. Each of us has a responsibility to the familes we created as adults that come before the others.  As my children grow to adulthood and begin their families, I would like to think their loyalties would begin with that new family, too. 

I do know that each of us would take care of the other should crisis occur.  That is what family is for.

To expect that one would give a certain amount to another based on some unexpected largess is ludicris -  not to mention just plain ill mannered.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10351 Posts
            Posted: December 27, 2008, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

Expect nothing and anything you did get would be "gravy".

In the sens of "Are you buying or selling?", I wonder how many here would give the same exact answer for either side of such a situation- if they won, or if a sibling won.

By "buying or selling" I mean one of these scenarios:

Joe: Man I've got to get rid of this car, it burns oil, it's got way too many miles on it, etc...."

Charley: I know a guy looking for this exact model, same year even.

Joe: Oh well then! It's got plenty of more good miles to go and it'll give them and isn't too bad on gas!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
              CA
              United States
              Member #57222
              December 23, 2007
              587 Posts
              Posted: December 28, 2008, 7:30 am - IP Logged

I was just watching my lottery dvds that I made.  remember Sandra's sister from millionaire christmas when she asked for  "about $500,00 thousand dollars."  And the other sister thought they'd "all" won.  And then on another show  Rusty's family from Overnight Millionaires  call themselves a Lottery Family and say "we won" the lottery,  they all constantly have their hands out,  Rusty is the support and the family, in my opinion, blatantly expects handouts and not just one.  One brother lives rent free in the house Rusty and Ross retained after buying a new house.  I fear the Rusty will run out of the ten million dollars he won.  Not because of greed or opulent spending but being too generous or the inability to say no to his family who seems to EXPECT a yes,  everytime they asked.

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3474 Posts
                Posted: December 29, 2008, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

Whether the winnings are a small amount or a large amount, no sibling should expect anything unless the sibling is disabled, period! 

What in the world has gone wrong with this present generation with the expectation of hand-outs -- just because of one's relationship to another.  This 'give me' attitude is too pervasive in our Amercian culture -- and I can't speak about other countries and their cultures.

Finally, what is wrong with purchasing a lottery ticket for your siblings because they may hit the jackpot, too.

What has happened in the world that people don't know what "expect" means? If you expect some people to give you a birthday card or gift, does that mean you've got some kind of problematic "give me" attitude ? The only real questions are how a person's financial situation affects what they give to people, and how you think it will affect them. If somebody is financially well off and buys you birthday presents at the dollar store (if they buy you anything at all), you would be foolish to expect more just because they won the lottery. OTOH, if their situation isn't  as strong, but they make an effort to get you something nice anyway, then it's not unreasonable to expect that you would benefit in some way if they won the lottery.

As justx said, the size of a jackpot would matter. It's clear that a number of people have poor or non-existent relationships with their family, but I expect that most people have it a bit better. Many posters have said they'd pay off debts, buy houses, etc for parents or siblings, and I  really can't imagine somebody netting 20 million or more and not doing something nice for friends and family if they have a good relationship. Of course money speaks louder than words, and  maybe a jackpot win is just what it takes to find out what somebody really thinks of you.

Entertaiment Capital
                  United States
                  Member #37800
                  April 19, 2006
                  302 Posts
                  Posted: December 29, 2008, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

4~5%. That's the amount I expect because that's how much I will give to my sisters. Of course, this applies only to a multi-million jackpot.

Baton Rouge, LA
                    United States
                    Member #4602
                    May 7, 2004
                    699 Posts
                    Posted: December 29, 2008, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

I would expect nothing from them at all, that's what they could expect from me.  If they did give me money, they'd attach alot of strings to it, pretty much act as if they owned me.  That is how all of them are, they are all out for themselves and nobody else, and I'm the family black sheep.

If I won, I'd give them nothing as well.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: December 30, 2008, 12:42 am - IP Logged

Anybody that EXPECTS anything from anybody is just an outright MORON.

Sorry, it had to be said.

AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
                        Just outside of Cleveland, OH
                        United States
                        Member #54079
                        August 3, 2007
                        106 Posts
                        Posted: December 30, 2008, 6:39 am - IP Logged

My Brother and I already have plans in place.  This is, of course, assuming a large jackpot is won such as any Mega.  In his case--he would divide Jackpot into 17 shares and family members would each get 1/17th and he and his wife would get 2 shares each, which takes care of everyone around the Thanksgiving table.  In my case--since I have more steps and in laws than he--He and my daughter would each get 9% of the pot, my two step daughters would each get 7% and decreasing amounts thereafter to other family members--of course, since my SIL is an attorney--this is all in writing--so no one has a surprise.  We can only buy so many toys, cars, and blue velvet portraits of Elvis--why not share it with family--who's going to get it if we overdose or overeat and die of a heart attack, anyway.  Besides, it prevents family members from plotting to kill you like Bud Post's brother did in order to inherit.   Just give them the money and don't fund any business that are bound to fail--let them invest it or spend it or save it--their choice, their decision.

I may have a different take on this than others as we lost our 'baby' brother 15 years ago to a brain tumor and I would give up any Mega Jackpot to have saved his life.  Also age helps--my bro and I are both in our late 50's and we each have a grandchild so our perspective has matured WRT family. 

Eveyone has to make this determination for themselves--family is important to me--toys, not so much.  I hope everyone has had good holidays. 

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                          Member #41383
                          June 16, 2006
                          1969 Posts
                          Posted: December 31, 2008, 1:55 am - IP Logged

My Brother and I already have plans in place.  This is, of course, assuming a large jackpot is won such as any Mega.  In his case--he would divide Jackpot into 17 shares and family members would each get 1/17th and he and his wife would get 2 shares each, which takes care of everyone around the Thanksgiving table.  In my case--since I have more steps and in laws than he--He and my daughter would each get 9% of the pot, my two step daughters would each get 7% and decreasing amounts thereafter to other family members--of course, since my SIL is an attorney--this is all in writing--so no one has a surprise.  We can only buy so many toys, cars, and blue velvet portraits of Elvis--why not share it with family--who's going to get it if we overdose or overeat and die of a heart attack, anyway.  Besides, it prevents family members from plotting to kill you like Bud Post's brother did in order to inherit.   Just give them the money and don't fund any business that are bound to fail--let them invest it or spend it or save it--their choice, their decision.

I may have a different take on this than others as we lost our 'baby' brother 15 years ago to a brain tumor and I would give up any Mega Jackpot to have saved his life.  Also age helps--my bro and I are both in our late 50's and we each have a grandchild so our perspective has matured WRT family. 

Eveyone has to make this determination for themselves--family is important to me--toys, not so much.  I hope everyone has had good holidays. 

Until they come to you later, broke, and wanting more.

Trust me, it happens, I KNOW.

mentor,ohio
                            United States
                            Member #58628
                            February 22, 2008
                            2 Posts
                            Posted: December 31, 2008, 11:14 am - IP Logged

Dude, if they won a multi-million dollar jackpot, I would expect at the very least $100,000. In my case, I would even have to ask. My brother would just send a check.

$10,000 is nothing from a multi-million dollar jackpot. Family takes care of family.

dphillips's avatar - littleuns
                              Albuquerque, New Mexico
                              United States
                              Member #5128
                              June 18, 2004
                              377 Posts
                              Posted: December 31, 2008, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

harpo55, you mentioned that family takes care of family.  In an ideal world -- yes, that would be true. Perhaps, in your family, you do take care of one another and I applaud your family for that.

OK, if you read some of these posts, most of the LP members are willing to share their jackpot winnings with family. However, there are some LP members who report greed among their families, and their expectations of getting something just because they are related.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with helping a disabled family member, or a mother or a father who has been there for a family member through thick-and-thin. Sometimes, emotional support and not financial support is worth millions more than any Powerball or Mega Millions can generate. There are some family members who refuse to offer emotional support to others, but they will have their hands out when the big payday arrives. Is that right?

Finally, your family may be unique, but please bear in mind there are some family members who are vindictive, greedy, and treacherous! Of course, all they need is a $1.00 and a dream, too. Give them a dollar and let them find their place in the sun!

See Ya!-- Bye, bye!  When you win, may you glow as brightly as theSun Smiley