Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

State Budget Crisis and Lottery Prize

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 8 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Entertaiment Capital
United States
Member #37800
April 19, 2006
302 Posts
Posted: January 1, 2009, 1:57 am - IP Logged

Happy New Year and have a wonderful career, all of you. I hope you guys all have good careers so that you guys would play lotteries just for entertainment.

I don't follow news very much. But I know that California has a massive budget crisis. For example, county jails can't keep an inmate for more than a few weeks because of the shoestring budget. (duh) And lottery got hit hard. I already mentioned in another thread. The rollover rate for California Super Lotto Plus is just abysmal. Normally there's $3,000,000 increase every time but now it's just a million bucks.

If there's a jackpot winner, he/she will be the last person to win such amount. Next time SLP won't go up beyond 15~20 millions. and to reach such amount it will take probably full two months to reach 20 millions. This is just depressing.

United States
    Member #67870
    December 7, 2008
    154 Posts
    Posted: January 2, 2009, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

perhaps CA should join the Mega Millions Neighborhood at once, the way FL did

and retire their SLP?

More importantly, in my opinion, would be to increase the payouts of the Pick 3s, 4s, and 5s across the U.S. by at least 30% but ideally more.

Winners ($1000+)  are withheld about a fourth or a third anyway as it is, aren't they?  It's a shame to owe a lot of tax on the lottery (which is like a voluntary tax in the first place) which has awful odds by the measure of their payout.

Entertaiment Capital
      United States
      Member #37800
      April 19, 2006
      302 Posts
      Posted: January 2, 2009, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

California already has Megamillions. After MM was introduced SLP's rollover rate became pathetic. It was not uncommon to go above 60~80millions in a month but after CA joined MM, it usually takes two full months to reach 40 millions and this doesn't happen often.

Now the rollover rate went down to 1~2mil and it took 10 weeks for Super Lotto Plus to reach 38millions.

dingo's avatar - lottery of-birth.jpg
        San Jose, California
        United States
        Member #42003
        June 26, 2006
        206 Posts
        Posted: January 5, 2009, 3:17 am - IP Logged

California jackpot is on a diet. 

Let's see how many rollover this turn can produce.

Bondi Junction
          Australia
          Member #57242
          December 24, 2007
          1102 Posts
          Posted: January 5, 2009, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

Some years ago, the California Lottery had a subscription service, but it was discontinued. It should re-establish it and raise more revenue. I would subscribe and I believe many other would too.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: January 9, 2009, 1:55 am - IP Logged

From what I read, if you win the California Lottery,    Ahnold may write you an IOU...

Bondi Junction
              Australia
              Member #57242
              December 24, 2007
              1102 Posts
              Posted: January 9, 2009, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

I found the Late Show's Top Ten very amusing, see No 5.

Top Ten Barack Obama Plans To Fix The Economy

1 Encourage tourists to throw spare change in the Grand Canyon

2 End our dependence on foreign owls

3 Sell New Mexico to Mexico

4 Put a little of that bailout money on the Ravens plus 3 at Tennessee. Come on! It's a mortal lock!

5 Rent out the moon for weddings and Bar Mitzvahs

6 Lotto our way out of this son-of-a-bitch

7 Appear on "Deal or No Deal" and hope to choose the right briefcase

8 Bail out the adult film industry -- not sure how it helps, but it can't hurt

9 Release O.J. from prison, have him steal America's money from China

10 Stop talkin' and start Obama-natin'!

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                Dallas, TX
                United States
                Member #60284
                April 12, 2008
                3856 Posts
                Posted: January 11, 2009, 2:28 am - IP Logged

While I was in CA few years back, I only played Mega Million, not the state lottery jackpot. Majority of players go for the bigger games, so the CA lottery does suffer the increase amount.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                  Member #4877
                  May 30, 2004
                  5120 Posts
                  Posted: January 15, 2009, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

Happy New Year and have a wonderful career, all of you. I hope you guys all have good careers so that you guys would play lotteries just for entertainment.

I don't follow news very much. But I know that California has a massive budget crisis. For example, county jails can't keep an inmate for more than a few weeks because of the shoestring budget. (duh) And lottery got hit hard. I already mentioned in another thread. The rollover rate for California Super Lotto Plus is just abysmal. Normally there's $3,000,000 increase every time but now it's just a million bucks.

If there's a jackpot winner, he/she will be the last person to win such amount. Next time SLP won't go up beyond 15~20 millions. and to reach such amount it will take probably full two months to reach 20 millions. This is just depressing.

THANK's>>>>>>>>>amelamba:

FIRST of ALL>>>>>>HAPPY NEW YEAR 2-U>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!

The terminator<<<<got up off all 4-four's and anounced today the D

great state of CALLIE was in DEEP-DODO^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!!!!

L@@K's like UR state will be a DRAG on the Mega-Million Lottery!!!!!!

WE in the east R alway's 2 dumed 2 see what U people in D west do

2 us in D rest of D states out DARE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank's 4 giving uss'es the BAD news>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now maby U or sum of U out DARE>>report sum G@@D NEW'$$$$

LOL

PSYKOMO

Honduras
                    Member #20982
                    August 29, 2005
                    4715 Posts
                    Posted: January 15, 2009, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

California SHOULD KEEP its Super Lotto Plus, and not get megamillions something i've been saying...Once MegaMillion is in there California Super Lotto Plus will suffer, specially more if times are bad...And is all because most people are religious and dont play lottery...

Something California should had done instead of MegaMillions is do what Florida did, get a Pick6/55 and then charge 3 dollars for a 25 million + jackpot, jackpot and 10 million + jackpot for the 2 dollar option and jackpot only for the 1 dollar option SINCE CALIFORNIA HAS WAY MORE POPULATION THAN FLORIDA...

So since California has more population the jackpot might have been a 35 million + jackpot for the 3 dollar option and 25 million + jackpot for the 2 dollar option...AGAIN SINCE CALIFORNIA HAS MORE POPULATION THAN FLORIDA... And this would have been a 3 days occurence or WEEKLY OCCURENCE instead of trying to win Megamillions or Powerball that normally goes to other states...So California would have gotten more revenue from the lotto...But they NEVER want to listen to me...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

Honduras
                      Member #20982
                      August 29, 2005
                      4715 Posts
                      Posted: January 15, 2009, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

California SHOULD KEEP its Super Lotto Plus, and not get megamillions something i've been saying...Once MegaMillion is in there California Super Lotto Plus will suffer, specially more if times are bad...And is all because most people are religious and dont play lottery...

Something California should had done instead of MegaMillions is do what Florida did, get a Pick6/55 and then charge 3 dollars for a 25 million + jackpot, jackpot and 10 million + jackpot for the 2 dollar option and jackpot only for the 1 dollar option SINCE CALIFORNIA HAS WAY MORE POPULATION THAN FLORIDA...

So since California has more population the jackpot might have been a 35 million + jackpot for the 3 dollar option and 25 million + jackpot for the 2 dollar option...AGAIN SINCE CALIFORNIA HAS MORE POPULATION THAN FLORIDA... And this would have been a 3 days occurence or WEEKLY OCCURENCE instead of trying to win Megamillions or Powerball that normally goes to other states...So California would have gotten more revenue from the lotto...But they NEVER want to listen to me...

Not to mention the amount of millionaires it will create each week....That and several 30 dollars scratchoffs that pay 1 million a year for life, AND I SAID SEVERAL the more the better...And hundreds of Win For Life scratchoffs, something like thousands...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨