Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 3:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

End of year analysis - QPs vs Self-Picks

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 8 years ago by kwint.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: January 1, 2009, 11:31 am - IP Logged

I play both QPs and my own numbers for Florida Fantasy 5 and, after adding up all the money I spent and looking at my wins (all small) I won many more times using my own combinations vs the quick picks I purchased.  I know this will always be a subject on which people disagree, since so many winners we read about bought quick picks, but one could use the argument that if 75% of lottery players used their own combinations, the majority of winning tickets would not be quick picks.

I still feel winning is pure luck, but I kept track and wanted to mention my experience in 2008.  Also, I buy Lotto tickets and, although I admit most of those are self-pick combinations, I had similar results.  However, I rarely won anything playing FL Lotto.  Got 3/6 and 4/6 a couple of times.  It would nice to get 5/6 just once!  BTW, the big winners of that $38M jackpot on Christmas Eve did not buy QPs.  Last night someone won $6M and the press release indicates it was also not a quick pick.

United States
    Member #61296
    May 17, 2008
    187 Posts
    Posted: January 1, 2009, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

Agreed justxploring.

Rather than the public know who the winners of jackpots are, I would rather just know if they won it own their own numbers or if they won it on qp's.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
      Dallas, TX
      United States
      Member #60284
      April 12, 2008
      3856 Posts
      Posted: January 4, 2009, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

Been using both my own numbers and qp, my own numbers gives more. The most I've won with qp was 4 of 6 numbers on Win For Life, and few pick 3 box, and few pick 4 box.

It require luck for both methods, however I find that when picking own numbers we increase our luck or decrease it by the numbers we pick.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10353 Posts
        Posted: January 4, 2009, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

I'm a firm believer in doing what baseball managers do, "go with the percentages", and in lotto the percentages are QPs.

Thus far, personally though, my biggest lotto win was 5 of 6 in the California lottery, and those numbers came from a horoscope.

My second biggest was on Powerball in Indiana, 4 of 5 and no PB, and those numbers came off of a website (not LP, this was before I knew about LP).

So that's a case where not oncde, but twice, they weren't quick picks, but they still weren't numbers that I picked myself. "Non-lotto QP QPs"?

As Justxploring said, it's luck...say someone wins by playing birthdays or family members ages, it's still luck that they all hit together.

Maybe there's a mystical type belief thing that goes with it, whether you select the numbers or play a QP, maybe, just maybe, if you believe that's what will win, it just might.

Wink

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Chesapeake, VA
          United States
          Member #65042
          September 15, 2008
          63 Posts
          Posted: January 11, 2009, 3:00 pm - IP Logged

The reason that most winners are QP's is because thats what most ppl get so of course the bigger percentage of winners is gonna be from QP's. Most are too lazy to actually fill out their own numbers much less actually think about what numbers they should play.

Its like poker: you can play your best but you gotta know when to fold your cards and take a rest. Hold your cards, take a breath, and hope that nobody else is stacking the deck.