Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Office Pool Lotto Questions

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 8 years ago by davidtn.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Southwest Florida
United States
Member #56183
November 6, 2007
75 Posts
Posted: January 6, 2009, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

I run an office pool, too.  It's alot of work, but I know the "big one" is coming.  We have not set up an agreement...might be wise to...but we've all worked together for years.  Seems kinda simple, though.  When we win big, we close the store for a day or two, we rent a charter bus full of libations and food, take the 6 hour trip to the Lottery HQ and stake our claim and divide by 10!  I do have an LLC on standby, should that be necessary. 

It does get troublesome when a regular asks me to "float them" a play or two, but overall, everyone is good about paying.  We pay the same each play, same players (have only had one person leave and a new one enter to replace), and roll over winners to more tickets.

I usually discuss mixing things up a bit by playing different games now and then when the jackpot is low.  The consesus is usually "just win something!".

I have offered people to pick #'s themselves but rarely get any takers.  So, I just play QP's.  It's easier.  I have a set of my own that I play in the pool everytime (actually includes a couple #'s from one other member).

I do save all the tickets in case anyone ever wants to see them, but no one ever does.  It's a very big stack!  I can't seem to save the winners, though.  The store always keeps them.

Can't say it's right or wrong until we win!  Good luck to ya!

Baton Rouge, LA
    United States
    Member #4602
    May 7, 2004
    699 Posts
    Posted: January 9, 2009, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

I run an office pool, too.  It's alot of work, but I know the "big one" is coming.  We have not set up an agreement...might be wise to...but we've all worked together for years.  Seems kinda simple, though.  When we win big, we close the store for a day or two, we rent a charter bus full of libations and food, take the 6 hour trip to the Lottery HQ and stake our claim and divide by 10!  I do have an LLC on standby, should that be necessary. 

It does get troublesome when a regular asks me to "float them" a play or two, but overall, everyone is good about paying.  We pay the same each play, same players (have only had one person leave and a new one enter to replace), and roll over winners to more tickets.

I usually discuss mixing things up a bit by playing different games now and then when the jackpot is low.  The consesus is usually "just win something!".

I have offered people to pick #'s themselves but rarely get any takers.  So, I just play QP's.  It's easier.  I have a set of my own that I play in the pool everytime (actually includes a couple #'s from one other member).

I do save all the tickets in case anyone ever wants to see them, but no one ever does.  It's a very big stack!  I can't seem to save the winners, though.  The store always keeps them.

Can't say it's right or wrong until we win!  Good luck to ya!

It definitely is alot of work.  The multidraw tickets cut down on the work a little, but it still is work.  LIke you, I have to float people too sometimes.  I've worked with these people for a long time so I know they are good for it and they always pay me.  If I float someone, it is usually only for one play.  Sometimes other players cover for each other, which is good.  I work with a great bunch of people I wouldn't give up for anything.

A couple of members had numbers they wanted to play, so I play them, along with quickpicks.  That way we usually get a good mix of numbers.  Small wins are used for more tickets.  We haven't hit the bit one yet, but we will one day.

With the work, on Sunday, I had to go to 3 stores to find new playslips so I could play our numbers, since the old playslips don't work anymore because the matrix was changed.  I was able to find them and we're back on track.  With it at $120million, I don't want to miss a draw!

Good luck to all.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

United States
      Member #67870
      December 7, 2008
      154 Posts
      Posted: January 9, 2009, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

make an appointment and check with your district attorney first, is what I would do

az
        United States
        Member #50932
        March 21, 2007
        9 Posts
        Posted: January 10, 2009, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

i've run a pool for over 12 years. i used to just ask different people to join when the jackpot gets big, but that was a headache. now i have a group that has been essentially the same for those 12 years, the only way to get in is for me to trust you to pay your share. i cover them when they are on vacation/sick/ or just short this week. only one fella has left the group owing me money but the rest of the group covered that. we play 5 bucks a draw when the powerball gets big enough, quick picks only. i photocopy the tickets with a list of the members on the copy and make sure a majority of the members have a copy.

i feel you have to cover your but because even good friends can get dicey when big money gets involved

good luck with your pool

later jim

Texas Joey's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg
          Katy, Tx
          United States
          Member #67709
          December 3, 2008
          204 Posts
          Posted: January 11, 2009, 11:46 am - IP Logged

you can get a Lottery Pool Packet from "Lottery Player's M.A.G.A.Z.I.N.E  It has all the rules for starting a pool or e-mail me and I will send it to you. 

Puppy
            Tennessee
            United States
            Member #68814
            December 31, 2008
            6 Posts
            Posted: January 12, 2009, 12:49 am - IP Logged

Thanks so much Joey.  You can email it to me at davidtn at usa dot net

David