Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you have money power with the banks after you hit the lottery?

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 8 years ago by grengrad.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
dphillips's avatar - littleuns
Albuquerque, New Mexico
United States
Member #5128
June 18, 2004
377 Posts
Posted: January 3, 2009, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

I recall a lottery winner who filed for bankruptcy one week, and the next week he hit the lottery.  Talk about dumb luck!

So, I was thinking...since lottery winners do not receive their check/direct deposit into their accounts until approximately 4-6 weeks, depending upon the state, and if a winner needed a loan, would banks be willing to grant the winner a loan?

Since I would be holding the financial bargaining chip, I would not go to the bank officer begging...this  would be the scenario:

1. I have just won $5 million dollars and here is the legal documentation from the lottery office, and since you are my financial institution I have been dealing with, I would like a loan for (x) amount of dollars. Now, I would like to continue doing business with you. What do you have to offer me?

2. If you are unwilling to support me in this effort, I can give my business to x, y, or z bank.  I am sure those banks would love to have my business.

3. I have excellent credit ( I know you are going to check), and I know there would be no problem with repayment of the loan.

Now, I heard after the bankrupt winner hit the lottery, every card company and bank wanted his business.  I am not sure of his credit rating, but would it have mattered?

Finally, remember, when you win...you are in the driver's seat, you hold the power, and in these hard economic times, no bank manager in his or her right mind would you refuse you. Talk about red carpet treatment!

See Ya!-- Bye, bye!  When you win, may you glow as brightly as theSun Smiley

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
    Member #47420
    November 4, 2006
    3930 Posts
    Posted: January 3, 2009, 4:27 pm - IP Logged

1st thing you do is ask all your relatives to float you a 100.00 loan and not tell them you hit millions then whoever floats you a 100.00 loan is in luck and whoever said no "oh well".....Kind dirty but fun..:)

Albuquerque, New Mexico
      United States
      Member #5128
      June 18, 2004
      377 Posts
      Posted: January 3, 2009, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

tiggs95, great idea -- I never thought of that one. If your relatives can come through for you, then those relatives will reap the rewards of your generosity.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1953 Posts
        Posted: January 3, 2009, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

Why are you promoting the act of being a sucky customer?

Gonna win.Big Smile

Albuquerque, New Mexico
          United States
          Member #5128
          June 18, 2004
          377 Posts
          Posted: January 3, 2009, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

Guru101,  I am not going to promote being submissive, fearful, and non-assertive. What I mentioned is what I would do. Other LP members might decide their strategy.

How would you react?

grengrad's avatar - nw rogue.jpg
            Raleigh
            United States
            Member #49057
            January 17, 2007
            172 Posts
            Posted: January 3, 2009, 7:34 pm - IP Logged

"So, I was thinking...since lottery winners do not receive their check/direct deposit into their accounts until approximately 4-6 weeks, depending upon the state, and if a winner needed a loan, would banks be willing to grant the winner a loan?"

Yes, most definitely.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
              United States
              Member #5128
              June 18, 2004
              377 Posts
              Posted: January 3, 2009, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, grengrad, for the vote of confidence!  Now, I'm geared up!

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                Harbinger
                D.C./MD.
                United States
                Member #44103
                July 30, 2006
                5583 Posts
                Posted: January 3, 2009, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

Yes, they would give a loan.  Credit is extremely tight right now, even if you have a good credit rating it is tough to get.  Proof of a large future income would just about guarantee a loan.  Remember a loan can be paid off at any time without penalty for the most part and of course no interest for that remaining principal.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: January 3, 2009, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

I'm not so sure I agree.  Just because someone is coming into a lot of money doesn't mean he/she is responsible.  A lot of people with money don't pay back debts. However, if you have a good credit history as you stated, why not just use a credit card for a few weeks?  I mean, how much do you need to spend in 3 or 4 weeks?  Since you would be getting your money before the monthly bill is due, you wouldn't even pay an interest charge!

It's not as if banks have millions sitting around, so these things take time.  I know people with great credit and very high incomes, but it still took weeks for them to get their mortgages from a bank. Also, the reason banks lend money is to make a profit.  So lending someone money to cover only a few weeks doesn't make sense unless the interest rate is fairly high.

I've read a lot of posts on LP where people expect to get a considerably higher interest rate because they deposit a lot of money in a bank.  It's just not true.   Rates are sometimes negotiable, but not by very much (maybe 1/2 point) and in times like this, they don't have much room to bargain.

By the way, $5 million isn't that much money.  To me it is.  But to an institution like Bank of America, with over $2 trillion in deposts, it's peanuts.

Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: January 3, 2009, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

Yes, they would give a loan.  Credit is extremely tight right now, even if you have a good credit rating it is tough to get.  Proof of a large future income would just about guarantee a loan.  Remember a loan can be paid off at any time without penalty for the most part and of course no interest for that remaining principal.

Disagree.  Jarasan, sure some loans are written that way, but what you say isn't true in all cases.  Many loans have penalties for early payment.  A short-term loan might have very steep penalties if all the interest isn't paid.

I began to edit my last post, but I ran out of time.  As I began to say, a ticket is just a piece of paper.  What if you die before you get the money?  Yes, I know it goes to your estate, but using a lottery ticket isn't good collateral.  Also, let's say I work at a bank & someone is saying "I've got really great credit" but I have no money to live on for 3 or 4 weeks, so I need a loan.  My first reaction would be

What?

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #55889
                      October 23, 2007
                      5592 Posts
                      Posted: January 3, 2009, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't be going to a bank for a loan, I would be finding the bank that paid the highest interest rates for the use of my money.

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: January 3, 2009, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't be going to a bank for a loan, I would be finding the bank that paid the highest interest rates for the use of my money.

I Agree!

Unfortunately, the rates are really low.  You'd be lucky to get 4%, even with a large deposit.  There are better investments IMHO.   I also wouldn't put too much money in any one bank.  The banks with the best rates often have the lowest ratings and could possibly fail.  That's one reason they offer CD specials, that is, to raise money to increase assets.

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
                          Florida
                          United States
                          Member #61435
                          May 22, 2008
                          907 Posts
                          Posted: January 3, 2009, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

Our money is monopoly money anyways.....the FEDERAL reserve is NOT federal at all and there are no RESERVES, in fact it's a monopoly of PRIVATE parasitic banks sucking off of us.  

Sorry for the truth.  Don't believe it...do some research.  Fed Reserve act 1913 is a good place to start.

Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: January 3, 2009, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

BuyLow - we've had this discussion many times in the blogs.  So you are not alone! 

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
                              Florida
                              United States
                              Member #61435
                              May 22, 2008
                              907 Posts
                              Posted: January 3, 2009, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

BuyLow - we've had this discussion many times in the blogs.  So you are not alone! 

Good to know. Thanks.