Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 5:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Photobucket is not a good place to host your avatar

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 8 years ago by FiLUK.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23345 Posts
Posted: January 3, 2009, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

I see lots of broken avatars today, from those who are using the photobucket web site to host their avatars.

Photobucket is not designed for that, and they will periodically move to cutoff that kind of use of their site.

Because Lottery Post gets millions of hits every day, any site hosting your Lottery Post avatar is going to be forced to provide a lot of bandwidth, to keep downloading it to people's computers every time they view a thread that you've posted in.  That bandwidth costs them money, and they generally don't like doing it.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me where you host an avatar.  I'm just telling you so you know that people are getting broken images when they view your posts.

My suggestions for hosting images of any type are:

1. If you're a Gold or Platinum member, use the simple Image Manager built into Lottery Post to uplod the images directly to our server.  Your premium membership comes with web server space, so why not use it?  If Lottery Post is up & running, your image will be too.
  2. If you're a Standard (free) member, check with your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to see if they give you some home page space for free with your Internet access package.  Most big companies do.  In that case, read their instructions for uploading images to your personal space, and they should also provide you with the exact URL (link) to use for your personal space.  For example, if your personal space is http://www.myISP.com/myName/ and you put your image "myAvatar.gif" into an "images" folder in your space, then the complete link to the avatar will be http://www.myISP.com/myName/images/myAvatar.gif

I always recommend using options #1 or #2 first, but there is another good option if both of those won't work for you:
  3. Use a free file-stoarge site that is designed for sharing files.  This isn't the top choice, because many of them don't like hot-linking to the files, like you're trying to do with the avatar, but it may be worth a shot.  My recommendation is Microsoft's SkyDrive.  It is a really cool service that gives you 25 gigabytes (GB) of free storage, and allows you to partition it into private and shared folders.  You can also have folders that you only shared with certain people who you specify.  Excellent!

It would be worthwhile checking into each of these things when you get a chance, but I definitely recommend getting away from photobucket, which is not very friendly for the kind of thing you want to do.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Talking Rock, GA
    United States
    Member #60369
    April 15, 2008
    398 Posts
    Posted: January 3, 2009, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

Hmmm.....thanks for the SkyDrive suggestion.  I've signed up for that and may start using that to host pictures of future big winners. Smile

A Gold account on Lottery Post:  $4.95

A Millionaire Jumbo Bucks scratcher:  $20

Airfare and hotel in March 2007 to see The Price Is Right before Bob Barker retired:  $600-something

Winning something to get a trip to a district office:  Priceless Big Grin

North Carolina
      United States
      Member #4313
      April 11, 2004
      2389 Posts
      Posted: January 3, 2009, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

Thank you for the information Todd...I've been using Photobucket, and I noticed today one of my New Year's pictures were gone. I even got my avatar from there. Thanks a lot. Unhappy

Gentlespirit
      'Be Loving and Peaceful'Blue Angel

DC81's avatar - batman39
        MI
        United States
        Member #54830
        August 31, 2007
        985 Posts
        Posted: January 3, 2009, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

Not to mention Photobucket has very poor security.

You can't predict random.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
          Member #52345
          May 21, 2007
          2678 Posts
          Posted: January 3, 2009, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

Type strange..... I've never had any issues with them yet .... but of course "yet" is the operative word

Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23345 Posts
            Posted: January 3, 2009, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

Hmmm.....thanks for the SkyDrive suggestion.  I've signed up for that and may start using that to host pictures of future big winners. Smile

One other REALLY COOL feature of SkyDrive is that if you install the Live toolbar on your different computers, all of your IE favorites get syncronized automatically between your computers, using SkyDrive as the "middleman".  You get a Favorites folder on your SkyDrive space, and you can browse through all of your favorites online.  It very very elegantly done, and works really well in my tests.

In fact, I really like all of the Live software and services that Microsoft gives away for free.  Their Live Photo app is awesome, their Live Mail package is just great, the Live Writer is great (something I'm thinking of adapting Lottery Post to), and so on.  Worth checking out, to be sure.

Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23345 Posts
              Posted: January 3, 2009, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

Type strange..... I've never had any issues with them yet .... but of course "yet" is the operative word

Yours is one of the ones that vanished earlier!  It seems to be back now, but I could not see it a few hours ago.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                Member #52345
                May 21, 2007
                2678 Posts
                Posted: January 3, 2009, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

Yours is one of the ones that vanished earlier!  It seems to be back now, but I could not see it a few hours ago.

yeah they have a smallish tendency to dissapear never had one totally vanish on me yet Crazy

United Kingdom
                  Member #57145
                  December 19, 2007
                  31 Posts
                  Posted: January 4, 2009, 9:32 am - IP Logged

image shack is the best for any image hosting.