Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:18 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Bar codes at the bottom of lottery tickets

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Perfecttiming2.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
San Diego, CA
United States
Member #58386
February 12, 2008
290 Posts
Posted: January 6, 2009, 7:34 pm - IP Logged

Is California the only state that does this?  We have these small scanners at all lottery retailers that can read the bar codes on the tickets and tell you whether the ticket is a winner.

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
    CT
    United States
    Member #61398
    May 21, 2008
    781 Posts
    Posted: January 6, 2009, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

Is California the only state that does this?

Nope.  I'm not sure if every state does it, but we have that technology here in CT as well.

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
      Dallas, TX
      United States
      Member #60284
      April 12, 2008
      3856 Posts
      Posted: January 6, 2009, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

We have it here in GA.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5754 Posts
        Posted: January 6, 2009, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

Tx has barcodes also. Probably because there are only maybe 2 or 3 companies that sell lottery equipment, so it stands to reason that all states use barcodes. Maybe there are more companies that sell lottery equipment, but I would think that all states use barcodes.

I tried using a scanner to check some scratchers once right after Christmas, but it was just easier to let the store clerk scan them in the terminal.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23349 Posts
          Posted: January 6, 2009, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

Is California the only state that does this?  We have these small scanners at all lottery retailers that can read the bar codes on the tickets and tell you whether the ticket is a winner.

Every lottery in every state uses codes on the tickets.  When you puchase your ticket, the numbers you chose (or the quick pick generated by the lottery terminal) are transmitted to a central computer, which records the numbers and creates a unique ID number.  That ID number is transmitted right back the the lottery terminal, and the lottery ticket is then printed, including both the numbers you chose and the ID generated by the central computer. 

All of that happens in maybe an eighth of a second, or perhaps a half-second during busy periods.  The central computer is optimized to record ticket numbers and generate ID codes very quickly.

That process and the ID code are extremely important, because they allow the lottery to determine if a claim is valid or not.  If that process was not in place, it would be VERY easy to create a fake lottery ticket, print the winning numbers on it after the drawing, and claim (steal) the jackpot.

Any lottery that did not track the tickets they sold would be corrupt and would not last very long.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Cash3Addict's avatar - mask
            Lawrenceville, GA
            United States
            Member #67252
            November 21, 2008
            534 Posts
            Posted: January 13, 2009, 12:27 am - IP Logged

Yea every state has it. And i wonder what would happen if someone, copied a ticket and tried to cash it. hmm?

Im trying my best to stay in the game.

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8393 Posts
              Posted: January 13, 2009, 12:42 am - IP Logged

Yea every state has it. And i wonder what would happen if someone, copied a ticket and tried to cash it. hmm?

Once you cash the original ticket if you had made a copy and tried to cash it elsewhere when they scan the ticket it will say already paid out on this ticket. You could get busted if the clerk calls the cops.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19898 Posts
                Posted: January 13, 2009, 2:41 am - IP Logged

A ticket can only be cashed once so if you could cashed a copy, it would nullify the real one.  Any tickets worth $600 or more have to be taken to a bank or a lottery head quarters to be verified again after being verified by a retailer and the winner has to have ID for tax purposes.  Ohio not only have the bar codes on their tickets but the rolls of paper that the tickets are printed on have serial numbers so the winning tickets not only has to have the right bar codes but  be printed on paper issued to the location where the ticket was bought.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                  Member #67870
                  December 7, 2008
                  154 Posts
                  Posted: January 13, 2009, 3:29 am - IP Logged

Virginia does have those do-it-yourself scanners,  at first I thought only 7-11s had it, but they seem to be almost everywhere now.

I love them, because It bothers me to inconvenience the stores to check sometimes 50 or 75 tickets for me. 

(But the first time I almost lost a winner, the beep is the same for losers and winners, and I was just going by the beep.  Now I now better to read the display every single time.  They really should have put a different sound for the winning tickets, be careful and take your time when checking lots of them)

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
                    Florida
                    United States
                    Member #61435
                    May 22, 2008
                    910 Posts
                    Posted: January 13, 2009, 9:29 am - IP Logged

A ticket can only be cashed once so if you could cashed a copy, it would nullify the real one.  Any tickets worth $600 or more have to be taken to a bank or a lottery head quarters to be verified again after being verified by a retailer and the winner has to have ID for tax purposes.  Ohio not only have the bar codes on their tickets but the rolls of paper that the tickets are printed on have serial numbers so the winning tickets not only has to have the right bar codes but  be printed on paper issued to the location where the ticket was bought.

Banks verify lottery tickets?  Never heard that one.

Talking Rock, GA
                      United States
                      Member #60369
                      April 15, 2008
                      398 Posts
                      Posted: January 13, 2009, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

I think there's a state or two that allow you to claim prizes over $600 up to a certain amount at a certain chain of banks, IIRC.  I don't recall which state(s), though.

A Gold account on Lottery Post:  $4.95

A Millionaire Jumbo Bucks scratcher:  $20

Airfare and hotel in March 2007 to see The Price Is Right before Bob Barker retired:  $600-something

Winning something to get a trip to a district office:  Priceless Big Grin

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: January 13, 2009, 12:31 pm - IP Logged

Not in FL, but RJOh lives in Ohio where you can collect lottery winnings up to $5,000 with a claim form at a participating bank.  They charge a fee however.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                          Member #13130
                          March 30, 2005
                          2171 Posts
                          Posted: January 13, 2009, 9:23 pm - IP Logged

In addition to a bar code, my state has serial-numbered-on-the-back paper, another set of numbers on the front to represent the selling store, and another group of numbers on the front to show how many tickets were printed that day, by that store.

There are other control numbers, too, but I havent decoded those yet.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Milledgeville Georgia
                            United States
                            Member #66959
                            November 12, 2008
                            37 Posts
                            Posted: February 9, 2009, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

diamonpalace have you noticed it's been over two years since the quadruples fell? What's your input on this?

Perfecttiming2's avatar - redcross

United States
                              Member #65961
                              October 11, 2008
                              162 Posts
                              Posted: February 9, 2009, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

The CA bar codes also tells Lottery Official exactly where the ticket was purchased....