Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 5:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball - SO CLOSE!!

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 8 years ago by BuyLow.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Pennsylvania
United States
Member #68215
December 15, 2008
21 Posts
Posted: January 7, 2009, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

I will never get over tonight's Powerball lol. I bought $5 QP's right. 2 out of 5 tickets were close!

Now......

Look at this.

20-32-33-38-51 PB: 30  <------NUMBERS SO CLOSE COULD OF WON $200K or the JACKPOT!!!

17-18-38-52-55 PB: 24  <--- WON $7

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3502 Posts
    Posted: January 8, 2009, 2:38 am - IP Logged

You'll get over it, and maybe this will help. There is no such thing as close in the lottery. They draw balls, not numbers. You matched two balls on 2 of 5 plays. Since one of those included the power ball match you beat the odds, even if you didn't beat them completely.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1958 Posts
      Posted: January 8, 2009, 2:49 am - IP Logged

You'll get over it, and maybe this will help. There is no such thing as close in the lottery. They draw balls, not numbers. You matched two balls on 2 of 5 plays. Since one of those included the power ball match you beat the odds, even if you didn't beat them completely.

I Agree!

Very true. Sure, numerically the number might be close, but when it comes to the lottery, the numbers on the balls are just to make each ball unique. That's all. The ball with number 58 is no closer to the ball with number 59 than the ball with number 1. There is no close in the lottery. You get what you get.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #68215
        December 15, 2008
        21 Posts
        Posted: January 8, 2009, 3:43 am - IP Logged

Yeah I'm not mad about it or nothing, its just that don't you hate when you get like 2 or 3 balls/numbers correct and the other 2 numbers are like a number off or so. And yeah your right at least I won something lol....going to use the $7 for Saturday's drawing. I'm going to win for sure this time! Cool

United States
          Member #58528
          February 18, 2008
          710 Posts
          Posted: January 8, 2009, 10:50 am - IP Logged

Yeah I'm not mad about it or nothing, its just that don't you hate when you get like 2 or 3 balls/numbers correct and the other 2 numbers are like a number off or so. And yeah your right at least I won something lol....going to use the $7 for Saturday's drawing. I'm going to win for sure this time! Cool

If you had spent the extra $1 for the Power Play option you would have won $35 instead of $7.With the new rules it makes more sense than ever to purchase the Power Play option...what if you had got all 5 white ball numbers and didn't buy the Power Play option?Without the Power Play option you would have won $200,000...with the Power Play option you would have won $1,000,000.

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
            CT
            United States
            Member #61398
            May 21, 2008
            781 Posts
            Posted: January 8, 2009, 11:09 am - IP Logged

If you had spent the extra $1 for the Power Play option you would have won $35 instead of $7.With the new rules it makes more sense than ever to purchase the Power Play option...what if you had got all 5 white ball numbers and didn't buy the Power Play option?Without the Power Play option you would have won $200,000...with the Power Play option you would have won $1,000,000.

That's what I have been doing lately, 1 or 2 picks with Power Play.  Scored the PB # (24) on one last night, a 0+1 with Power Play 5 earns me $15. Sweet.

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
              Member #48046
              December 7, 2006
              1699 Posts
              Posted: January 8, 2009, 11:23 am - IP Logged

One of my co-workers got 3 outa 5  with power play......$35

Did you see all those 30's in my Maddogs?  Just not the right 30's

Anyway.... I'm re-thinking Power-Play myself.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23345 Posts
                Posted: January 8, 2009, 11:52 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
                  CT
                  United States
                  Member #61398
                  May 21, 2008
                  781 Posts
                  Posted: January 8, 2009, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

Anyway.... I'm re-thinking Power-Play myself.

Ya almost have to now with the guaranteed $1,000,000 for 5+0 with any Power Play selection.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                    Member #41383
                    June 16, 2006
                    1969 Posts
                    Posted: January 9, 2009, 2:06 am - IP Logged

I will never get over tonight's Powerball lol. I bought $5 QP's right. 2 out of 5 tickets were close!

Now......

Look at this.

20-32-33-38-51 PB: 30  <------NUMBERS SO CLOSE COULD OF WON $200K or the JACKPOT!!!

17-18-38-52-55 PB: 24  <--- WON $7

This is 'close' ?????

You are not even in the top-5000 of 'close'.

Sorry to throw ice water on you, but you really weren't close at all.

Don't make the mistake most people make - you think you were 'close', so for the next drawings you go out and overspend, you buy a TON of tickets, and you get nothing. We have all done it, and we have learned.  Most folks that win it win it with 5 tickets or less, not counting office pools where per-person purchases are still usually 5 tickets or less.

Pennsylvania
                      United States
                      Member #68215
                      December 15, 2008
                      21 Posts
                      Posted: January 9, 2009, 2:54 am - IP Logged

This is 'close' ?????

You are not even in the top-5000 of 'close'.

Sorry to throw ice water on you, but you really weren't close at all.

Don't make the mistake most people make - you think you were 'close', so for the next drawings you go out and overspend, you buy a TON of tickets, and you get nothing. We have all done it, and we have learned.  Most folks that win it win it with 5 tickets or less, not counting office pools where per-person purchases are still usually 5 tickets or less.

The numbers were close. Not close to winning.

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
                        Florida
                        United States
                        Member #61435
                        May 22, 2008
                        910 Posts
                        Posted: January 9, 2009, 9:32 am - IP Logged

Games where it matters to be close:  horseshoes and hand grenades.  Powerball not so much.Wink