Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Out-of-State Scratching

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 8 years ago by jr-va.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Mass
United States
Member #68073
December 12, 2008
217 Posts
Posted: January 9, 2009, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

I do not do a lot of traveling around the states as I am usually heading for the Carribean or on a cruise somewhere. However, I do like to pick up scratch tix from other states when get the chance. Never had much luck. Anyone have any luck whilst on vacation or traveling? I would love to get one from each state. Anyone interested in sending me one from your state in exchange for a Massachusetts tic? Just an idea. Not sure how to make it work but I think it would be cool to have an exchange of some sort. Thoughts? 

PaPlayer412's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
    Pittsburgh
    United States
    Member #69402
    January 9, 2009
    19 Posts
    Posted: January 9, 2009, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

I would be interested. So no luck around other areas?

-PaPlayer412

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: January 11, 2009, 12:38 am - IP Logged

I don't know how much luck you will have with this at the moment. Not trying to be rude, but you are new and barely have any posts to your name. No one really knows you and I'm not sure how many people would trust spending money on a ticket and sending it off hoping that they would get one in return. Who knows though, you could ask and it may work out.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: January 11, 2009, 1:01 am - IP Logged

I think what you are suggesting is illegal.  However, I agree with Scary.  Who would do that?  How would you collect the smaller prizes like $100?

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
          Kunming
          China
          Member #57910
          January 23, 2008
          3626 Posts
          Posted: January 11, 2009, 1:36 am - IP Logged

I don't know how much luck you will have with this at the moment. Not trying to be rude, but you are new and barely have any posts to your name. No one really knows you and I'm not sure how many people would trust spending money on a ticket and sending it off hoping that they would get one in return. Who knows though, you could ask and it may work out.

I agree with Scary. Only if it's to collect them then I think it might be really cool to have ALL the different state scratch-off but it's not pratical because if you when let's say $2.00 on a scratch-off how would you cash it? What if the ticket is a Jackpot? Then if I sent it to you I would be highly pissed-off! Not a good idea overall I think.

Play to win!

Mass
            United States
            Member #68073
            December 12, 2008
            217 Posts
            Posted: January 11, 2009, 9:06 am - IP Logged

Good points all. I have been lurking here for about a year and once set up an account but I tried to post a link (against the rules, I guess) and lost posting priveledges. I did not set up the account now just for this purpose. I come here for the same reasons most of you do I assume.

Not sure how my idea is illegal? Again, it is just an idea but it could work several ways. You go to the Mass lottery website and check out all the different tics they offer. Email me (is that allowed?) your address and I will send you the ticket along with a self-addressed-stamped-envelope and my request for a ticket of the same value from your state. By me going first, there is no risk involved except for me. I stand to lose my $2 or $5   if you do not send me a ticket back. If you win on the ticket I send you, you have several options. If it is a small winner- send it back with a SASE and request for more tix or simply hold it until you or someone you know travels to Mass. If it is a larger winner you can (I believe) mail it to the mass lottery and they will send you a check. If it is a Jackpot ticket- Congratulations! You now get to travel to beautiful Massachusettes and your vacation is already paid for! (I'll show you around) If you happen to send me a jackpot ticket, you will certainly be seeing a healthy dose of that initial payout.   If you lose, you have your souvenier. I may be naive, but I still live by the premise that most people are good and honest people.

OK- so who is interested and who wants to give me more reasons that this is a bad idea? I am all ears....

Spin 

United States
              Member #67870
              December 7, 2008
              154 Posts
              Posted: January 12, 2009, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

I'm in Virginia and it sounds interesting, but Vriginia and Mass have different laws, even minors are allowed to win lotteries in Mass, I think.  For example.  And Virginia and the old federal laws have a lot of sick prohibitions that it makes me sick Puke

sorry.

Anyway, I just recently learned that Mass. allows people from out of state to buy subscription/season tickets by calling them.Thumbs Up   That is wonderful progress! I hope soon it goes to online. 

But scratchers in Virginia I don't know, I haven't bought one since I can't remember when,  most people just win the free tickets or a buck or two. 

But honestly I agree with you appearing rather new.  Me too, by the way.   

United States
                Member #67870
                December 7, 2008
                154 Posts
                Posted: January 13, 2009, 3:09 am - IP Logged

also, it seems they wanted a prohibition of mailing lottery tickets, as I understand it. (Except Massachussets)

At least that is the understanding I have from the  USA MEGA  site, but at least it appears we can get some of the big lottery tickets through their site (link button is on the left of the screen).  But they still will not mail them to you they will just keep them in a safe place for you.  I think it said you own 99% of the prize if it wins and they own 1% for their service. 

(But don't get me wrong I think you have a wonderful idea.  I just don't think many of us are allowed.

I hope things change and improve this year. Smiley  )

United States
                  Member #67870
                  December 7, 2008
                  154 Posts
                  Posted: January 13, 2009, 11:21 am - IP Logged

I hope the number games are different, but you specified scratchers and they're more complicated.

But with numbers, I would think we're able to buy them, I do that a lot.  If someone predicts 345 or 365 or 654 exact for Virginia usually I go and buy them.