Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Claiming Anonymously

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 8 years ago by hearsetrax.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Philadelphia, PA
United States
Member #65306
September 23, 2008
10 Posts
Posted: January 10, 2009, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

This issue always comes up here and I have a theory. Most states won't let you claim anonymously. What are the options to keep your identity protected after a big win? I have a very common last name but an unusual 1st name. I'm thinking I could change my 1st name to lisa or Nicole or something very common and then I can claim my jackpot semi-anonymously. LOL What do you all think? Also, how hard/easy is it to legally change your name for reasons other than marriage? How long does the process take?

phorin's avatar - 5921 Farmer-With-A-Pitchfork-Clipart-Picture.jpg
    Houston, TX
    United States
    Member #69456
    January 10, 2009
    58 Posts
    Posted: January 10, 2009, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

first we need to win, then we'll surely figure out the rest

Philadelphia, PA
      United States
      Member #65306
      September 23, 2008
      10 Posts
      Posted: January 10, 2009, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

If you fail to plan you plan to failSmile

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
        Member #60535
        April 21, 2008
        460 Posts
        Posted: January 10, 2009, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

If you fail to plan you plan to failSmile

exactly why i'm here!  I have learned a LOT about taxes and such since coming on here.  I would have surely been in lots of trouble when I win had I not found this place .

az
          United States
          Member #50932
          March 21, 2007
          9 Posts
          Posted: January 10, 2009, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

in az i have notice a few times where the released info was only first initial, last name and town.

maybeyour state can do the same??

later jim

Texas Joey's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg
            Katy, Tx
            United States
            Member #67709
            December 3, 2008
            204 Posts
            Posted: January 11, 2009, 12:10 am - IP Logged

To keep it anonymous you must sit up a Trust fund in a name your Lawyer recommends.  That way no one will know the real winners. Oscar Red Carpet 1 

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3474 Posts
              Posted: January 11, 2009, 2:23 am - IP Logged

Setting up a trust doesn't necessarily do anything to keep your name from being released. Some states specifically require that prizes be claimed in the name of an actual person. That might allow the trustor to claim, but it may not.

Changing your name isn't hard, but it's also not a private matter, and your original name may turn up; a court ordered name change requires publishing legal notices. As long as you aren't doing so for fraudulent purposes, you can use whatever name you want, without taking specific legal steps (think common law marriage). If you try to claim as "little bunny foofoo" your real name is going to come out, but Hollingsworth Andrew Smith IV should be able to claim as Andrew Smith with little or no trouble, especially after going by Andrew for a while. Even if you don't know, plenty of people you know are probably using a nickname or middle name. My uncle "Bill" was really named Charles, but nobody called him that after he was 12 or 13. The biggest issue there is probably dealing with a bank account. The bank may or may not let Hollingsworth Andrew Smith IV deposit a $50 check made out to Andrew Smith. I can safely promise they won't allow a deposit of millions.

Even if you can claim anonymously, the important thing is to stay under the radar after collecting the money. You can be named Bob Smith and be easy to find or you can be named Hollingsworth Wilberforce and be nearly impossible to find.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                Member #52345
                May 21, 2007
                2657 Posts
                Posted: January 11, 2009, 8:55 am - IP Logged

exactly why i'm here!  I have learned a LOT about taxes and such since coming on here.  I would have surely been in lots of trouble when I win had I not found this place .

Roll Eyeseven with all I've learned here ...I'd  probably still manage to goof upEmbarassed