Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mechanical Random Number Generator

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 8 years ago by jr-va.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #67870
December 7, 2008
154 Posts
Posted: January 10, 2009, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

Here's how I built my mechanical RNG, modify it as you wish for whatever kind of game you want.

I built mine mostly for Virginia's cash 5 which is a 5 in 34 game.

I took 34 soft drink plastic bottle tops, mine are yellow, and with a good permanent magic marker

I numbered each one on the outside 1 thru 34.  Then put them in a box or container (even a plastic grocery bag, and blow it up like a balloon) and shake it.  Then pick one without looking at the number and continue shaking and picking them out until you have as many as you need.

When I make a 7 or 8 number wheel I pull out 7 or 8 out, etc

I also have a set 0 thru 9 for P3 and P4 now.  And you can modify it as needed, you can get blue and red tops for highs and lows, or odds and evens, or almost any pre-designated grouping method should work if it remains consistent, which is the purpose of the differet color tops.

gl, people  Smiley

United States
    Member #67870
    December 7, 2008
    154 Posts
    Posted: January 10, 2009, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

make sure they're all exactly the same size, if you find different color ones and you want to use them, make sure they're otherwise identical, or else you could just try using a different color magic marker. 

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
      Dallas, TX
      United States
      Member #60284
      April 12, 2008
      3856 Posts
      Posted: January 10, 2009, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

This number selection method sounds fun. I am like Gambit from the X-Men, I use deck of cards instead when comes to random selections :)

United States
        Member #67870
        December 7, 2008
        154 Posts
        Posted: January 10, 2009, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

cards should work fine too

I do have fun with the bottle tops, though, and it replicates the lotterie's methodology to a high degree.  (I do not have any cards yet, do good magic markers work well on new cards with all the wax?)

(By the way, the picture above did not show up.  Could it be just me or can anyone see it? )