Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball now has the potential...

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 8 years ago by jr-va.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
Atlantic Mine, Michigan
United States
Member #416
June 23, 2002
1614 Posts
Posted: January 11, 2009, 11:36 am - IP Logged

Powerball now has the potential to hit the massive jackpot amounts we once thought was possible.  But I guess wait, they have that $25M increase rule so maybe not.  This game has not sold more than $100M tickets in a single drawing since February or 2006.  Almost three years now.  The odds are almost 1 in 200,000,000.  It would definetly seem possible for them to start hitting higher amounts more frequently even with the addition of Florida.  We could see our first $400M jackpot soon. 

Brad

TotallyDavis's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
    North Charleston, SC
    United States
    Member #69214
    January 6, 2009
    45 Posts
    Posted: January 11, 2009, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, but I don't understand.

Let's say that $100 million in tickets are sold for a high jackpot.  But the jackpot can only increase by $25 million, right?

And perhaps there's $10 million in other prizes given out.

So, Powerball just pockets the other $65 million?  Or more?  Even if more is supposed to go to the jackpot amount?

Ridiculous.

I know about the 'record jackpot' rule that states that extra money can go into a bonus pool, but that only applies to record jackpots.  I wonder if they are just allowed to pocket the excess monies from regular jackpots?

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
      Member #2338
      September 17, 2003
      2063 Posts
      Posted: January 12, 2009, 12:29 am - IP Logged

While it can hit a new jackpot level I doubt it will this jackpot run. Remember Megamillions added a larger state and increased it's odds but did not have a record jackpot until 21 months later.

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3474 Posts
        Posted: January 12, 2009, 2:34 am - IP Logged

Yeah, but I don't understand.

Let's say that $100 million in tickets are sold for a high jackpot.  But the jackpot can only increase by $25 million, right?

And perhaps there's $10 million in other prizes given out.

So, Powerball just pockets the other $65 million?  Or more?  Even if more is supposed to go to the jackpot amount?

Ridiculous.

I know about the 'record jackpot' rule that states that extra money can go into a bonus pool, but that only applies to record jackpots.  I wonder if they are just allowed to pocket the excess monies from regular jackpots?

There is no limit to how much the jackpot can increase until the jackpot exceeds the existing record. Right now that record is 365 million. In theory, people could go crazy over the next 3 days and buy 400 million tickets. If that happened, the cash value would increase by about  $128 million, which would mean an increase in the annuity value of about 218 million. That would result in an advertised jackpot of 364 million. If 500 million tickets were sold there would be an extra 32 million cash, which would be enough to increase the annuity to 418 million if the cap wasn't in force. Since the cap would be in force, the advertised jackpot would be 390 million. The extra cash, about 16.7 million, would go to the bonus prize.

FWIW, since the cash value is a higher percentage of the annuity value than it has been for some time, the cap is effectively more than it was in the past, unless the winner chooses the annuity.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: January 12, 2009, 3:51 am - IP Logged

FYI - When Florida began selling lottery tickets in 1988, records were broken for the most tickets ever sold by a new state lottery.  Now the Florida Lottery is reporting we've done it again!

The Florida Lottery today announced that POWERBALL® ticket sales for the first drawing totaled $7,730,306; more than any other state's first draw sales in POWERBALL history. In fact, Florida POWERBALL sales more than doubled the previous record held by North Carolina when it launched POWERBALL in 2006.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
            Indiana
            United States
            Member #48725
            January 7, 2007
            1953 Posts
            Posted: January 12, 2009, 3:52 am - IP Logged

I think we'll be seeing a $390m jackpot soon, enabling Powerball to then reach jackpots of $400m+.

Gonna win.Big Smile

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
              Member #4877
              May 30, 2004
              5114 Posts
              Posted: January 13, 2009, 12:17 am - IP Logged

FYI - When Florida began selling lottery tickets in 1988, records were broken for the most tickets ever sold by a new state lottery.  Now the Florida Lottery is reporting we've done it again!

The Florida Lottery today announced that POWERBALL® ticket sales for the first drawing totaled $7,730,306; more than any other state's first draw sales in POWERBALL history. In fact, Florida POWERBALL sales more than doubled the previous record held by North Carolina when it launched POWERBALL in 2006.

God all mighty JXP:

UR>>>>sit'g on gold mine!!!

kant get mucho denero$$$

lol>>>>>@>>>>>least 2-U!!!!

PSYKOMO

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5114 Posts
                Posted: January 13, 2009, 12:32 am - IP Logged

Powerball now has the potential to hit the massive jackpot amounts we once thought was possible.  But I guess wait, they have that $25M increase rule so maybe not.  This game has not sold more than $100M tickets in a single drawing since February or 2006.  Almost three years now.  The odds are almost 1 in 200,000,000.  It would definetly seem possible for them to start hitting higher amounts more frequently even with the addition of Florida.  We could see our first $400M jackpot soon. 

Brad

Brad??????????

will Powerball save D chillion?????

will Powerball feed D hungry?????!

??????????????????????????????!

as jackpot >>>>PLAYER'sssssss!!!!

do we know anything R how-2-????

control>>>>>>>our "MONOSTER"?!

now that BUSH is dead<<<<<<<!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHO can we "BLAME"???????????

PSYKOMO

Kidzmom's avatar - cold
                  NC
                  United States
                  Member #11741
                  February 23, 2005
                  1233 Posts
                  Posted: January 13, 2009, 12:49 am - IP Logged

Is there a cut off amount that the Powerball can rise to?  It would be great if the jackpot could reach

1 Billion dollars!!! Yeah I know wishful thinking. lol

Be kind to a stranger because you never know when you are talking to an angel.Blue Angel

KZM

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
                    Florida
                    United States
                    Member #61435
                    May 22, 2008
                    906 Posts
                    Posted: January 13, 2009, 9:34 am - IP Logged

Brad??????????

will Powerball save D chillion?????

will Powerball feed D hungry?????!

??????????????????????????????!

as jackpot >>>>PLAYER'sssssss!!!!

do we know anything R how-2-????

control>>>>>>>our "MONOSTER"?!

now that BUSH is dead<<<<<<<!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHO can we "BLAME"???????????

PSYKOMO

Don't worry Nobama will give us CHANGE...too bad he says we won't like it and it will be unpopular.  Wonder what that means? Puke

United States
                      Member #67870
                      December 7, 2008
                      154 Posts
                      Posted: January 13, 2009, 11:44 am - IP Logged

when it reaches a  fourth of a  $ Billion  they should make the second prize $500,000 , about twice as much as the Mega Millions, not lower !

they also need to get rid of all the lowest prizes less than $5